Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Would a BMW 325D do over 160mph?
  • mos

Our sales director (who is quite ‘the driver’) insists that both his old 325 & now his new 335d must have done at least 160mph, as he had the needle ‘off the clock’.
    Is this even possible? Sounds like M3 speeds to me & I call BS.

wwaswas

Aren’t bmw’s (even the quick ones) speed limited to 156mph anyway?

scruff9252

A salesman talking bollocks? Never!

Cougar

Googling,

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/bmw/3-series-saloon/325d-m-sport-4dr/summary/68459

Top speed 152 mph

So, no. File under ‘Salesman’.

160Km/h, perhaps.

jon1973
    Free Member

sv

With speedo inaccuracy it might be reading 160mph+ on the clock though.

Kato

They have a 155mph limiter. A 325D will hit the limiter

Rockape63
    Free Member

Back in the day, I managed to get my 112mph XR3 showing 130mph going down Reigate hill on the M25….so if he’s mad enough and on a slope reckon its possible. 8)

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

I have been passenger in a 535d with the needle ‘off the clock’ at 160+ but no way of telling if that is accurate.

freeagent
    Free Member

dependant on how the speed limiter works he might momentarily get close to it, before it reigns him back in..

I call bulls**t anyway, simply because he is a salesman.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Was in an Alpina Z4 that showed 180 on the clock. Was late for a funeral. Surprisingly not ours.

imnotverygood

I’ve had at least 160mph out of a 325.The caravan began to weave a bit beyond 130mph. 😆

LoCo
    Free Member

Would be close to limiter cutting in, aside of that 150 (ish) on anywhere other than on a track is a bit silly.

DezB
    Free Member

When I was 12 I cared about this kind of thing.

andyl
    Free Member

Tell him you will believe him if he confirms it by email with HR CC’d in 😉

Daffy

I’ve had 140mph (indicated) out of a 13 plate 2.0l diesel Audi on Hullavington’s Runway, so I’d say it’s possible. But i’d also say that an estate will be slower than a saloon due to VIT.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Was in an Alpina Z4 that showed 180 on the clock. Was late for a funeral. Surprisingly not ours.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry

alibongo001

In my youth I have a 1.1 popular Fiesta that did “h” miles an hour.

(Speedo went from 0-90 or 100 and then it said “Mph” at the bottom, the needle went all the way down to h”)

No baby robins or child’s faces were harmed, but obviously I would not do that now.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My old 330I was electronically limited to 155.

Is this like when we were at school and it was a competition about whose dads car had the highest number on the speedo?

My T5 I think goes up to 140 or 160.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Is this like when we were at school and it was a competition about whose dads car had the highest number on the speedo?

Absolutely! 😀

Just don’t tell Moley about it! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

What?

I once did 100mph in a 950cc Fiesta mkII. It required a long motorway hill though, on the flat it would only do 85.

I didn’t know that at the time my Dad was using cheap tyres rated to 65mph…

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

my 120d went 144 before i bottled it. Can’t see why the 325 wouldn’t d more.

The limiter in teory should kick in at 155, but somtimes its a generous 155.

The 335d will do it easy.

continuity
    Free Member

My 320d will do 140, a 325 with a remap will comfortably hit 160 if you have the room.

A 335 (especially the all-too-common stage2’s at close to 400bhp) will be doing 160 faster than you can read my post.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I owned a couple of 535d sport tourings in succession and on the autobahn both would hit 160 on the clock. Only did it a couple of times and for very short period, just to see if they would do it.
    Can’t see why a 325d wouldn’t push it to the limitter, but whether that’s 160mph is anyone’s guess.
    Let’s hope he didn’t do it in the UK.

alpin
    Free Member

an aquaintance has a M5. has been derestricted and will happily sit on the Autobahn at just shy of 300km/h, so around 180mph.

160mph is easily possible from a 325d.
    this guy got 250km/h from hius 325d… (250km/h = 155mph)
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyIbEwXzHI[/video]

deviant
    Free Member

Whatever the speedo says is largely irrelevant, those cars are limited to 155.

A 335 I owned briefly would accelerate staggeringly quickly…and then stop…at the limiter funnily enough.

Tell him to download one of those GPS/datalogger type apps that uses your phones accelerometer and GPS functions to get some legit stats on his car for accurate non salesman/BS readings.

The dash on a car like that is as much to amuse the 10 year old boy in all of us as anything else, think about the ‘this goes up to 11’ scene in Spinal Tap to understand what I’m getting at!
    I also had a Yamaha R6 with a rev counter that showed the redline at 18,000 rpm….magazines tests showed the engine actually ‘only’ revved out to 16,000 rpm but it didn’t stop people buying them and playing pub Top Trumps with BS stats like that!

allthegear
    Free Member

Either he’s fibbing, in which case he was being a nob, or he’s letting the truth, in which case he was being a nob.

oldboy
    Free Member

What’s happening here guys? This is STW FFS! Half of the replies to the OP’s post should have, at least, referred to lawbreaking, damage to the environment and the possibility of killing young children and/or kittens.

chip
    Free Member

Man drives BMW like a cock shocker.
    Vs
    Salesman talks bollox shocker.

It’s a tough one.

deviant
    Free Member

Don’t worry, I’m sure the usual suspects will be along shortly to dump all over this thread in that holier than thou manner they manage to pull off whenever a thread pops up about cars or motorbikes!

Harry_the_Spider

He sounds like a knob. Where does he “make progress” so that I can avoid the area?
    [edit]
    Bradford. Because your work web site is linked to your account!

Best get the mods to shut this down as these sort of threads have a habit of finding their way to the wrong person.

jambourgie
    Free Member

155MPH is not that far off 160MPH. Give him his dues. And anyway, is it not compulsory to take one’s current motor to the limit just once? To see where it is like…*

* I have never driven above 70 MPH.

oldboy
    Free Member

Don’t worry, I’m sure the usual suspects will be along shortly to dump all over this thread in that holier than thou manner they manage to pull off whenever a thread pops up about cars or motorbikes!

Looks like usual sanctimonious contingent aren’t being drawn into this one. 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Someone I know drives on blue lights. He said that the beamers they use get a bit funny after a while at 130. The machine kind of concentrates on the essentials, and auxilliary stuff like the fan stops working.

He also said it’s rather scary, someone pulling into lane three in front of him at seventy would be sudden death for everyone in both cars. That’s with all the lights, btw. He did mention the tyre rating too, but I forget exactly, maybe it was 135.

Your chap was very brave, or perhaps not.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It’s the bikes on the roof rack that I’d worry most about.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve done 165 on a German autobahn in my old Alpina B3s. Tbh I was scared to death. I slowed down a bit!! Germans seemed a nuts in that regard. As soon as the no speed limit sign kicks in, everyone seems to go crazy. Even at 165 I had people trying to get past me. 90 is fast enough for me I think.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

*visits website*
    That doesn’t look like Bradford!

*opens streetview*

…more like it

*rubble – check
    *small wonky buildings- check
    *Golf with aftermarket alloys – check
    *Isis – check…. eeer, hang on. Jambalaya to the thread please!

Houns

You have more tabs open than my mum does on her iPad

hora
    Free Member

Explain to your sales director that if hes ever involved in any death crash you’ll bring up his heroic driving ability in court..

jambourgie
    Free Member

You have more tabs open than my mum does on her iPad

Just noticed that 😀

I get a bit stressed after about ten and have to start closing some.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Would a BMW 325D do over 160mph?’ is closed to new replies.