Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Would a bike be 'competitive' down a super-g ski run?
  • DrP

Just watching the Olympic highlights – was wondering if a bike (?? Dh bike with spikes) keep any pace with a skier?
    I’ve really no idea of a ski’s ability to dig in on the corners would far outrun a bike with spikes….

Discuss…

DrP

oliverracing

not even close would be my thought!

creamegg
    Free Member

No chance

jameso

I’d pay to see that..
    I’d bet on the skier tho.

ceepers

No chance – the tv really doesn’t convey how fast the skiers are going!

stuey
    Free Member

I gonna say – no chance – those skiers must be 90mph(?)
    <edit much faster than my typing>

iain1775
    Free Member

If it happened, and was televised I would complain about the BBC’s commentary

But no, I suspect not

lunge

No is the short answer. The bite a good skier generates with a a sharp pair of ski edges is something you have no chance of getting close to with any pair of tyres. Don’t underestimate how steep the courses are either, much steeper than any MTB course I have ever seen.

Andy

Speed skiing: Simone Origone (Italy) 251.4 km/h (156.2 mph); Les Arcs, France, April 2006

Cycling: Eric Barone (France), 222 km/h (138 mph); Les Arcs, France, April 21, 2000

From Google init so must be reet.

Speshpaul

This
    “Don’t underestimate how steep the courses are either,”

shifter
    Free Member

Johan (not Julian) Clarey recently became the first to do 100mph in a proper downhill so Super G is probably a bit less than 90. All the same, the bike would have no chance!

DrP

I thought as much.

How about the other way around? Put a guy on planks down fort William wc course….?!

DrP

theotherjonv

Max speeds in super g are around 80, so average will be a chunk slower. Still faster than a bike on the same course though.

chiefgrooveguru

Compare the length of the ski edges to that of the side knobs engaged on a bike tyre. The wheels have no chance!

shifter
    Free Member

How about the other way around? Put a guy on planks down fort William wc course….?!

I’d be surprised if no-one had done that. Especially with the snow they’re having at the moment.

DrP

Compare the length of the ski edges to that of the side knobs engaged on a bike tyre. The wheels have no chance!

Have you NOT heard of 29ers 😉

DrP

mrmo
    Free Member

kilometre lance Les Arcs

On the very simple basis that pointed down a hill skiers are much quicker, before you even begin to think about going round a corner, bike would be no where.

However if you designed a course on snow for cyclists and sent a skier down it, if you make it tight enough a bike might be faster.

mrmo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4_xlFtcPLk[/video]

singletrackmind

However if you designed a course on snow for cyclists and sent a skier down it, if you make it tight flat enough a bike might be faster.

FTFY

mrmo
    Free Member

However if you designed a course on snow for cyclists and sent a skier down it, if you make it tight flat enough a bike might be faster.

FTFY

i did think about putting uphill in it, then i remembered how fit the average mtb rider is 😉

mrhoppy

The biker would be off at the 1st corner if they were doing well, skiing tracks have bullet proof surfaces, and there is now way they’d keep up even if they could stay on.

Rich_s

Does no one remember the You Bet episode with jez Avery?

scaredypants

On snow the bike would have no chance

If the bike waited and did the same route in summer, piloted by a complete nutter – still no chance

Slogo
    Free Member

on a 26er no chance!

On a 29er hell yes. Roll faster init!

takisawa2

That snowboarding where they all go at the same time, now that looked a laugh.
    Reminded me of BMX.
    That course would be good on a bike in the hands of someone who can jump. (ie: not me).

elchambre
    Free Member

From 2004 Cedric Gracia was 11 seconds slower, if I remember correctly the guys on bikes were only allowed the one run.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=35833

timmys

That snowboarding where they all go at the same time, now that looked a laugh.
    Reminded me of BMX.
    That course would be good on a bike in the hands of someone who can jump. (ie: not me).

I take it you are unfamiliar with 4X?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Biking POV vs. Skiing POV | A-Line, Whistler Blackcomb

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Would a bike be 'competitive' down a super-g ski run?’ is closed to new replies.