Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wot….no BBC Sports personality thread?
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

I’ll resist suggesting some of the contenders are a bit PC and just say there are some interesting choices this year! Can anyone stop AJ? Lewis maybe….nah! So for me its 1. AJ, 2.Lewis, 3. Adam Peaty. Whats yours?

Elise Christie
    (speed skating): The Scot won a hat-trick of gold medals – including the overall title – and a single bronze at March’s World Championships.

Sir Mo Farah (athletics): Clinched his 10th successive global title at August’s World Championships before being beaten into second place on his track swansong.

Chris Froome (cycling): Completed a hat-trick of Tour de France victories with his fourth title overall, one shy of the record in cycling’s blue-ribband event.

Lewis Hamilton (motor racing): Became Britain’s most successful Formula One driver after clinching his fourth title, as well as securing the sport’s pole position record.

Anthony Joshua (boxing): Knocked out Wladimir Klitschko in the world title fight of the year – and of his life – in front of 90,000 at Wembley.

Harry Kane
    (football): Scored his 40th club goal of the year on Saturday (November 25) – and 47th overall – having already won last season’s Premier League Golden Boot.

Johanna Konta
    (tennis): Became the first Briton since Virginia Wade to reach the semi-finals of the women’s singles at Wimbledon, having earlier won the prestigious Miami Open.

Jonnie Peacock (para-athletics): Reclaimed the T44 100 metres title at London 2017, where he also set a personal best and almost broke the world record.

Adam Peaty (swimming): The greatest breaststroke swimmer of all time retained his 50m and 100m world titles, setting a new world record over the shorter distance, and won relay silver.

Jonathan Rea
    (motorcycling): Became the first person to win a hat-trick of World Superbike titles to move within one of Carl Fogarty’s record four triumphs.

Anya Shrubsole (cricket): Bowled England to Women’s World Cup glory on home soil in a nail-biting, and sold-out, final at Lord’s against India.

Bianca Walkden
    (taekwondo): Bounced back from what was a disappointing bronze medal at the Olympics to retain her heavyweight world title.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m not sure the title fits. It’s sports PERSONALITY of the year, not most successful in their field. Often some of the nominees appear devoid of the prerequisite that the title suggests.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ll be voting for Peaty.

and Froome for the overseas personality award. 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

Wot….no BBC Sports personality thread?

Yes there is.

Caher

Adam Peaty and the Woman’s England footie team.

cp
    mudshark
    Free Member

I’m not sure the title fits. It’s sports PERSONALITY of the year

Presumably it’s a concise way of saying what you think it should say. What do you think is a better title?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I’m not sure the title fits. It’s sports PERSONALITY of the year, not most successful in their field. Often some of the nominees appear devoid of the prerequisite that the title suggests.

That’s not true, its personality as in “famous person”.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah if they had to have an actual personality Andy Murray would never have won.

As for this years, probably Peaty on merit followed by Froome but I expect Mo will win due to popular vote + retiring (from the track at least).

Onzadog
    Free Member

But why not have an award for the people or person who is always upbeat, positive, available to fans etc, regardless of how much winning they do. Some sort of Eddie the Eagle award.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This thread must be closed !

wallop

No mention of Jonnie Peacock making it through to week 10 on Strictly?

😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

Elise Christie (speed skating): The Scot won a hat-trick of gold medals – including the overall title – and a single bronze at March’s World Championships.

Never heard of her, but 3 gold medals at a World champs seems pretty good.

Can’t vote for a kenyan, and the only thing we can say for sure about Hamilton this year is that he was better than his team mate, and winning a race of two isn’t that impressive.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Duplicate thread of the year award?

mudshark
    Free Member

Can’t vote for a kenyan

Eh?! Got a problem with Wiggo too?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wot….no BBC Sports personality thread?’ is closed to new replies.