Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wot waterproof trews for commuting?
  • sadexpunk

been looking at the usual places, and really, they all seem too good (read expensive) for what i need.

got a 15 minute commute, and at the mo ive just got crappy old trews that keep catching on my chainring as the press studs that cinch them in at the bottom dont work properly. and theyre too short so water gets under them into my boots.

so………im after some thin, single skin shell type trousers, that ideally have velcro at the bottom instead of press studs. cheaper the better.

anyone know who might sell any? tried the local camping shops but theyre all too expensive, and cater for all day walking or whatever.

cheers

meehaja
    Free Member

I find waterproofs get too hot. Do you commute in your work clothes? If not, Just get some tights, they keep your legs warm and you get to show colleagues your “pride” without getting fired. Failing that, for 15 mins, just get some waterproof walking trousers to whack on as over trousers… prepare to sweat though!

sadexpunk

yup, i commute in work clothes. manual job so not too bothered about sweat etc. yes, ill sweat whatever the weather, but i really just want non-breathable cheap over-trousers. waterproof walking over-trousers you say? yes, thats what i mean 🙂 but i want some with velcro at the bottom to cinch the bottoms in. otherwise they get caught on the chainring.

ta

dave_aber
    Free Member

ASDA. They do a trews and jacket set which look pretty flimsy, but in use are actually damn fine. Trews pack down pretty small too so if you do get lucky you can stick them in your bag and go without.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve been using Aldi ones for a couple of years. Aprt from leaking badly at the knee and arse they’re fine (i.e. I keep meaning to get some decent ones).

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Skins the best thing, 15 mins on the bike is nowt and they wont get cold in that time.

Skins free, waterproof and breathable. Just wipe your legs down when you get to work if you can be bothered. 🙄

sadexpunk

tried aldi ones, too thick to use as over-trousers. unless they do different ones now.

do the asda ones have velcro at the bottom?

skin? nah 🙂 you tried biking to work at 6 in the morning in shorts??? makes me shiver thinking about it!!!

lunge

A trip to Decathlon might give you what you need, lots of cheap waterproofs in there.

simon_g

Rainlegs. If you’ve got mudguards, the rest of your legs don’t get wet anyway.

sadexpunk

havent got mudguards, *cough* nor do i want them 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

the aldi ones are far to warm I have a set. Ron hill Bikesters are fairly water repellant and wil be dry for the ride home or cheap waterproofs and luminous cycle clips … go on you know you want to

joemarshall
    Free Member

I do a similar commute, and I haven’t worn waterproof trousers for ages now, not since I got mudguards. I just wear my work trousers (not smart ones). 90% of the rain on your legs / bum comes off the road, so unless it’s a really hard downpour, you don’t get wet in 15 minutes.

If you’re one of those people who loves the feeling of a wet bum though, then I’d get some cycle clips for your waterproof trousers – cheap, practical and designed to solve exactly this problem.

Joe

Lummox

there is/ was a guy on flea bay selling altura waterproofs for 34 quid new. I’ve worn them on and off road and i’m dead happy with them, they have velcro straps to hold in the bottoms an extendable leg for long levers amd reinforced knees and arse, top troos for the money, i wore leggings under them in the real cold, or just cycle shorts when it’s a bit warmer.

I’d buy one size up though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wot waterproof trews for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.