Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Wot, more logging in ?? Again ??
  • CountZero

I never log out, at least, not deliberately. I notice every couple of weeks or so that there’s no ‘Post’ text box, and it tells me I need to log in to reply, which means I’ve timed-out again, but it’s hardly onerous to have to tap in a username and password once in a blue moon; compared to having to do it every time my computer at work goes into screensaver mode, which is five minutes of inactivity.
    Nowt I can do about it, IT-set for company security, along with having to change passwords every month.
    And logging into STW occasionally is a pain?
    At least you keep the same password all the time.

Jamie
    Free Member

This sort of thing came up in conversation on a ride (Yes, a ride, remember those, some of us have time for that sort of nonsense) today with 3 other STWers. We cannot fathom how certain people seem to spend so much time on here, at all hours, on virtually every thread. It’s quite sad/astonishing* really

I would counter that it is as sad/astonishing*, that someone who works as a “professional mechanic” is not that far behind in posting stakes, than someone who works with computers all day.

*delete as applicable.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hehehee!

Plucked the truth nerve a smidge have I? 🙂

I can’t be bothered to count exactly but one page of my posting history goes back six days. One page of yours is yesterday.
    I’ve started 19 threads in a month or so, you’ve done 18 in a week.
    Just saying, like. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

This sort of thing came up in conversation on a ride (Yes, a ride, remember those, some of us have time for that sort of nonsense) today with 3 other STWers. We cannot fathom how certain people seem to spend so much time on here, at all hours, on virtually every thread. It’s quite sad/astonishing* really

slightly saddened all you can talk about when riding with your mates is STW, that’s somehow worse then Jamie being glued to his keyboard

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

One last post before I risk proving myself wrong, but I’ve had a communication from my lurking statistician (a grand title but he’ll love it) who says:

You’ve posted about 5 times today. Jamie has posted more than that in the last hour or so. And about 5 times that in the last 24 hours. You don’t even post every day. He’s on STW morning noon and night.
    He has 695 v 540 threads posted on in 6 years, but posts many more times per thread than you do.

Well that’s releived the drudgery of Tescos anyway. 🙂

Edit
    RD, fear not, that’s not ALL we talked about. That was about one minute between 9am and 2pm. :rolls eyes: 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I keep reading this…

STW is in the top 2% of websites globally. No really! STW ranks around 2100th of all UK based websites

… but it doesn’t make sense. Can someone please explain.

Squidlord
    Free Member

With an average of 1.5 million users a month…STW is in the top 2% of websites globally.

But… but I thought we were “niche”?

[stares moodily out of rain-streaked window]

markgraylish
    Free Member

With an average of 1.5 million users a month…STW is in the top 2% of websites globally.

Where do you drop down to when you exclude Jamie’s post?

🙂

Sandwich

Dinner stopped play. Business model seems to work the boss has been running the company for 24 years. We are small and agile though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I get logged out from time to time. I think it’s something to do with number of concurrent devices.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I also seem to have to log in a lot, maybe once a day, but don’t you just let your browser save it? If you share the device, just make a desperate user account and let it save/contain you’re login info?

Gosh, sometimes it really does get grumpy here….

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m confused. Do I need to update my big hitters list or not?

Just for the record, I did bring my mtb all the way to Aberdeen for Xmas and haven’t been out once. I think I’m in the BH running.

bearnecessities

This is really pissing me off from mobile now. As this is how I most often use the site (not a threat, just a fact) I’m not sure whether subscription is worth it. Circa 2 mins of inactivity and I have to log in again.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether the site overlords are that fussed about the amount of ads I’ve accidentally clicked when trying to log in.

Oh, and JAMIE???

CountZero

bearnecessities – Member
    This is really pissing me off from mobile now. As this is how I most often use the site (not a threat, just a fact) I’m not sure whether subscription is worth it. Circa 2 mins of inactivity and I have to log in again.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether the site overlords are that fussed about the amount of ads I’ve accidentally clicked when trying to log in.
    That does seem extraordinarily excessive! As I said before I only have to log back in every couple of weeks or so, and that’s a rough guess; as it happens I had to log in an hour or so ago, I honestly can’t remember when the last time was.
    I have a whole bunch of open tabs in Safari, STW being one, which rarely gets closed.
    Can’t speak for the phone, that very rarely gets used for web stuff, the phone is verboten during work hours, on pain of excommunication and the pad is always on at home and easier to use for web stuff.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You lot should use iOS devices. 4 taps and you’re back in again. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Having been logged in, and using STW, last night I find I’ve had to log in again on the iPad this morning…

Getting terribly boring this, especially as I had to wait for the splash ads to finish loading before I could use the “log in” button.

Shirley there’s a fix ?

There has to be afterall this is 2010 yeah ?

B
    O
    R
    I
    N
    G

wwaswas

I find I have to log back in every few days – I assume it’s because they’ve refreshed the app at the back end and the session held locally is no longer valid.

ot maybe the sessions are tied to an IP and with mobile devices the IP changes regularly?

GregMay
    Free Member

Obviously you people are way busier than me if you can’t spare the time to log in to a forum to waste time on.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use safari all the time, never the app.

And yes..

I
    Am
    Far
    Too
    Busy..

Now gerowtofmyway 😆

Cougar

If you have to log back in every two minutes, I’d put money on it being something client-side (otherwise everyone would be affected, and they aren’t). I’d guess some sort of security setting which blocks cookies, or a third-party add-on which is causing bother.

Try a different browser, see if it still does it?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Does it here on iPad, iPhone, Mac AND Laptop – constantly – doesn’t matter if its on wi-fi or network

footflaps

I have to log in every hour or so at work. Must be a browser thing…..

dragon
    Free Member

I think it’s ‘cos the whole thing is running on a 486 somewhere, with code written by someone who gave up life a while ago. The whole thing is so 2001 and pre-smartphones.

No one minds ads, but ones that don’t work properly and are insane system hungry don’t buy you many friends or customers for that matter.

Cougar

Does it here on iPad, iPhone, Mac AND Laptop – constantly – doesn’t matter if its on wi-fi or network

Does it do it when you’re on the telephone network (eg, 3G) rather than your own LAN?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Easiest for me is to just have a bookmark set up to…

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fsingletrackworld.com%2Fforum

If it needs you to log in then you go to an ad free login page, otherwise you go straight to the main forum page. Saves having to load all the broken and annoying ads if you are a “P”.

Frequency of needing to log in does seem pretty random across mac, iPad and iPhone. Sometimes it won’t need it for days, other times it’ll be several times a day 😕

footflaps

I have to log in every hour or so at work. Must be a browser thing…..

Just found it, I use a Cookie App, Cookie Cutter, which was set to accept session cookies only from STW.

Cougar

Cougar – Moderator

I’d guess some sort of security setting which blocks cookies,

What do I win? (-:

Cougar

(a cookie…?)

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Wot, more logging in ?? Again ??’ is closed to new replies.