Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • wot gps
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

Ok without spending rediculous amounts of money like some gps out there, recomend me a gps thats relatively easy to work, never used one before… So any recomendations please….for mountain biking…

druidh
    Free Member

What do you want it to do?
    Do you need mapping? Links to HRM? Where will you be riding with it?
    Do you intend doing multi-day rides with it?

elaineanne
    Free Member

Mapping …lol…like navigation… I have a a gps on my mobile with a blue navigation arrow….sommot like that wud do… Im wanting to find new tracks in my area..calderdale..wanting to link rides up with new trails and log my rides into the gps and save them….tho i know alot of the caldervalley but wanting to explore further afield etc….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Garmin Etrex 20 would probably be the cheapest option to do that. If you’ve got a bit more money the Etrex 30 has an electronic compass and barometric altitude sensor, as well as working with heart rate monitors and cadence sensors. The Dakota 20 is very similar to the Etrex 30 but has a touchscreen.

Best way to buy is to do a Google shopping search and find the cheapest price online, and then get Go Outdoors to beat that price.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Satmap – British – used by mountain rescue – joystick instead of touchscreen and nice big buttons, so good for muddy/cold/gloved fingers.

Big screen makes it excellent for stopping on route and exploring around the map.

jota180
    Free Member

Satmap – British

The one in front of me has a ‘made in China’ sticker on it

jimc101
    Free Member

The one in front of me has a ‘made in China’ sticker on it

What electronic kit isn’t made in China now? Had one for about 4 years now, not perfect, but cycling isn’t it’s primary market, so is being asked to do something it was not designed exclusively for, but has great aftermarket support / service from the manufacture who are a UK company, and are based in Leatherhead Surrey.

gusamc
    Free Member

prior to Satmap I had an old blue Gramin Etrex, OS position, route via arrow and waypoint, peppercorn trail of route done, fine if used in conjunction with OS and grid ref.

I got on fine with it, wanted a rolling OS map, spent lots, got frustrated by lack of screen size, so I still tend to whip out the map so I can get the big picture in my head.

oh, the old Etrex, it’s for sale by the way ….

jota180
    Free Member

What electronic kit isn’t made in China now? Had one for about 4 years now, not perfect, but cycling isn’t it’s primary market, so is being asked to do something it was not designed exclusively for, but has great aftermarket support / service from the manufacture who are a UK company, and are based in Leatherhead Surrey.

My point was: something like Garmin is just as British, if you wanted to use it as a positive reason for buying
    They have a substantial setup down Southampton way somewhere doing support, development, repairs, sales etc. not just an import office.
    Looking at their vacancy list, I suspect they employ quite a few there

http://www.garmin.com/uk/company/careers/

GrahamS

I have a a gps on my mobile with a blue navigation arrow….sommot like that wud do…

Use that then?? With a suitable app and barmount. Considerably cheaper than buying a fully-fledged GPS if you don’t need all the extra features.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My point was: something like Garmin is just as British, if you wanted to use it as a positive reason for buying

So any foreign company that has offices here that employ a reasonable number of people can be thought of as British?

I never thought of Nissan as British, but I will do from now on.

jota180
    Free Member

I never thought of Nissan as British, but I will do from now on.

Well it certainly produces a hell of a lot in the UK so any car made here is British as far as I’m concerned, these days, I can’t really see where the HO is located as particularly relevant.
    I’m happy as long as companies are putting cash into the economy, if you need the CEO to be British etc. that’s fine

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’m happy as long as companies are putting cash into the economy, if you need the CEO to be British etc. that’s fine

no, but I like to support innovative British companies that start up over here and need our support to continue.

We used to have a world-class hifi industry but everyone went and bought far-eastern junk and now we haven’t got much of one left.

You could argue about expense but ask the average Quad or Spendor owner how long they have had their kit and then ask someone who had a Technics system in the 80s if they still have it.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what Quad or Spendor is/was sorry

Anyway, this is getting way OT now

elaineanne
    Free Member

yeah the gps on my moblie is fine but i dont wana keep getting my mobile out my bag every mile do i ?…i want something thats on front of me bike easy to reach and look at lol….cant be wasting precious riding time stopping and starting just to get out the mobile lol,, 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

may seem a good idea to you to get a mobile mount for bike but not realy….wud you want to smash ya mobile up after a crash on the bike lol 😉

andrewy

I use viewfinder on the phone, and put the phone in an ortleib phone holder which I clip to the top of the strap on the cameleback. That way it is easily accessed, fairly cheap and not too exposed. The chest strap holds it safe from swinging around.

GrahamS

may seem a good idea to you to get a mobile mount for bike but not realy….wud you want to smash ya mobile up after a crash on the bike lol

Don’t crash then!

(the case on my bar mount is pretty tough to be honest. I think it would survive most offs. But you may well be going more extreeeeeme than my pootling 😀 )

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘wot gps’ is closed to new replies.