Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • WorxSaw – How Accurate?
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I picked up a worxsaw – one of these:

Argos link

Has anyone got one? There is quite a lot of play in the plunge mechanism. I want to run it along a straight edge to cut an accurate/exact line. I’m worried that with the amount of play it won’t be that accurate. I’ve not tried it yet as I’m thinking of returning it.

stumpy01

Play in which direction? The vertical plunge direction or side-to-side play?

I got one to cut out tongue & groove floorboards and it’s brilliant. Manages to cut through the tongue of the floorboards, but no further although the boards weren’t perfectly flat do don’t really know how much depth variation there was by virtue of play in the mechanism.

Mine seems pretty sturdy though to be honest – suppose it depends how accurate you need to cut.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

It’s side to side play. Meaning if the foot was pushed against a straight edge then the blade is pushed off slightly off centre.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Murray

Seems accurate enough to me provided I use a guide.

stumpy01

Hmmmm, I suppose it depends on how accurate this cut needs to be?

I used it recently to trim the bottom of a door (had to cut from one side, flip the door and go again from the other side. Following the line was easy on both sides of the door and the resulting cuts met to within easily less than 1mm.

I suppose it’s not really a precision tool, but good enough for most purposes, I guess.
    You would be welcome to try mine if you are local to me…..Peterborough way.

I have heard of people buying stuff from Argos, using said item for the weekend and taking it back after careful cleaning without issue. I wouldn’t do that, but I have heard stories of people who have done……

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Lowestoft unfortunately! I reckon for 95% of jobs it would be amazing. I want it mostly for cutting sheet material down to size for woodwork projects. My big makita circular saw does a fine job – it’s just very big and heavy.

Not going to use it – karma and all that.

footflaps

I’ve got one, didn’t notice any play in the blade.

blader1611
    Free Member

I managed to build my wheel truing stand out of a big sheet of 18mm mdf using the worx saw. I wanted it to be accurate so everything would sit squarely and it was fine. Remember its only as good as the person who is using it,
    My advice would be to have quite a few practice cuts to see where it cuts in relation to the guide and the laser as they are unlikely to be accurate right out of the box.

revs1972
    Free Member

I took a 6mm strip off a 2.4 metre length of 12mm ply with mine in one go, butting up against a guide

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘WorxSaw – How Accurate?’ is closed to new replies.