Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Worth the wait! Moots RSL/Super Record EPS/Lightweights
  • njee20
    Free Member

Good to see Njee still as positive as ever! And yes, EPS is the superior groupset (until next gen Di2?!). Have you used both to make such a confident claim to the contrary?

4 months late, but yes thanks, no need to sound so spectacularly condescending. Have you ridden it yet? 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

what does Solarider do for a job?

I’m hoping he’s got shares in a Titanium tube manufacturer!

At least the guy has taste, an abundance of money usually indicates a lack of taste but in this case I’m glad to say he makes a very good exception!

Not sure I could dare ride a bike worth so much money though, not when for £1500 I can buy a road bike that’s much better than I am as a rider…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Is this bike just a case of going for the most expensive bits and shoving them all in the same place? I do wonder if other choices may have made for a better bike.

mboy
    Free Member

I do wonder if other choices may have made for a better bike.

Define “better”

Better is going to be different for different people. Clearly this bike wasn’t built to be tackling the TdF on, if you wanted a bike for that you can buy an off the shelf bike for less than half what this cost that will be stiffer, more responsive and way more suitable to the application.

I suspect that the OP is far more bothered about the subtleties in the ride quality from the components he’s chosen though, rather than going for an all out stiff race rep.

Wookster

TBH that bike would be more than capable to win a tour!

Moots custom is well up there with if not better than a lot of mass produced carbon frames a bike doesn’t need to be carbon to be competitive in racing!! Record EPS is also top notch, not even some of the sponcered world tour teams ride sup record mechcanical let alone eps.

Lush bike mate, but I think you need some smart 45’s on there!!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Solarider has some of the finest bikes and best taste in bikes that I’ve seen; this is the spec for the cross bike he posted on here a few months back

Frame – Speedvagen CX (58cm, Team Paint)
    Fork – ENVE Carbon CX
    Aheadset – Chris King Black Sotto Voce Aheadset
    Chainset – Campagnolo Super Record Ti (175mm, 50/34)
    Pedals – Shimano XTR
    Front Mech – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Rear Mech – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Shifters – Campagnolo Super Record EPS
    Brakes – Pauls Neo Retro
    Chain – Campagnolo Record
    Cassette – Campagnolo Record (12/25)
    Wheels – Lightweight Standard Gen III
    Tyres – Dugast Typhoon 32mm
    Stem – Extralight OC (110mm)
    Bars – Zipp Service Course Alloy SL Traditional Bend (46cm)
    Seatpost – ENVE Carbon Integrated
    Saddle – Fizik Arione
    Grips – Deda Cork

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

To be fair, I find all his bikes incredibly boring. No character whatsoever. Just buy the most expensive titanium frame available and then bolt all the most expensive parts onto it. Dull.

Houns

Bugger me that is nice

And need pix of that CX bike too please

brakes
    Free Member

To be fair, I find all his bikes incredibly boring. No character whatsoever. Just buy the most expensive titanium frame available and then bolt all the most expensive parts onto it. Dull

oh to have such a dull selection of bikes :mrgreen:

mboy
    Free Member

Lush bike mate, but I think you need some smart 45’s on there!!

As opposed to the ridiculously beautiful, incredibly light and expensive 48’s he’s got on there already? What’s 3mm between friends eh? 😉

TBH that bike would be more than capable to win a tour!

Of course, it’s not about the bike. But if you were buying a bike to win the tour, you can spend less than half as much on something lighter and stiffer, that would be more suitable for the application, that’s all I was saying.

Record EPS is also top notch, not even some of the sponcered world tour teams ride sup record mechcanical let alone eps.

The differences between Record and Super Record though are largely cosmetic, and a tiny bit of weight, there’s no function improvement really from what I understand. And seeing as many teams are adding weight to their bikes to get them up to the UCI weight limit, why buy the lighter more expensive stuff when the cheaper and slightly heavier works just as well? Certainly as most of the groupset is low down on the bike, it won’t make a huge difference, and besides, an all steel cassette is going to last a lot longer than one that is half Ti.

To be fair, I find all his bikes incredibly boring. No character whatsoever. Just buy the most expensive titanium frame available and then bolt all the most expensive parts onto it. Dull.

Whilst I don’t agree entirely, I’ve got to say that purely in terms of looks and emotion, I preferred his custom steel Pegoretti’s.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

an all steel cassette is going to last a lot longer than one that is half Ti.

Not true? I know someone who runs Ti chains and XTR cassettes as he reckons they last longer than the equivalent steel whilst weihing considerably less.

mboy
    Free Member

Not true? I know someone who runs Ti chains and XTR cassettes as he reckons they last longer than the equivalent steel whilst weihing considerably less.

Different strokes for different folks. Mates who used to race got fed up with XTR cassettes cos the Ti cogs just didn’t last half as long as XT cassettes did!

Wookster

Good points Mboy! 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Ti is softer than steel, steel cassettes last longer. Hence only the largest sprockets being ti on XTR/Dura Ace blocks.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Bit low rent for this thread, but if you fancy getting a bit of Ti in your life, this frame is for sale as of today.
    Cooper size M/L with none too common shamrock dropouts.
    Lovely bit of kit but i need the money to help pay for a kitchen and have downgraded to a 2nd hand Condor. 🙁

[/url]
    IMAG0214 by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    IMAG0213 by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img]

easygroove
    Free Member

Kent Eriksen

A Moots variation – my frame built by Kent Erisken(ex Moots). Its changed slightly since the pic, no cateye, steerer cut down and longer stem.

Its a chorus group and deda finishing kit.

The welds and build quality is stunning and it rides really smooth.

Anyone got any tips on cleaning titanium?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Worth the wait! Moots RSL/Super Record EPS/Lightweights’ is closed to new replies.