Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Worth taking my 5yr old to Llandegla??
  • stuhawk
    Free Member

as the title says really. He’s done a couple of miles of the easy routes round Cannock Chase. Would like to take him somewhere that’s a bit more interesting but we live near Brum so it’s a bit of a trek. He rides an Islabike Cnoc 16. The Blue trail at degla should be enough for him. Anyone took their kids of a similar age and what were your experiences?

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I took my son to Llandegla when he was 5 on his cnoc 16.
    He found it ok but the push up was hard going,he preferred the jump track to be honest.
    CYB is not much further than Llandegla and better on a cnoc 16 in my view.
    You have the foundry skills area and the minataur blue,plenty to keep him entertained.

peabrain
    Free Member

That skills area looks great and your lad looks like he is having a blast!

stuhawk
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Awesome video. He’ll be doing the MBR before you know it. Where did you get his pads, helmet and gloves from if you don’t mind me asking?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Think some of the trails would be fine but getting to those is a different matter. If you’re not far away it might be worth the visit even if you end up just eating big slices of cake in the cafe after a quick blast. Just be prepared to walk a lot.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Helmet

pads

gloves

Lots of stuff on MX1
    Pads are good,helmet is a bit warm in the summer.
    Plenty of choices in gloves from fox as well.

MBR done,he’s ridden most of CYB,were lucky as it’s only 10 mins away.
    He’s done BPW uplift as well on his 20″ full sus.
    Turned 7 now,still rides the cnoc,great little bike as it’s so light.
    You’ll have a great time with him on the cnoc in cyb! 😀

rockhopper70

For little ones, I’d say CYB is a better bet. My 8 yo has done both and preferred CYB, I think because the looooooong drag a llandegla was a bit of a killer from the off. And also, he much preferred to skills area at CYB.
    I’d do CYB over llandegla if it wasnt another hour or so beyond, from where I live.

adi66
    Free Member

My Kids have been hitting ‘Degla since 5 and they love it…. there 8 & 9 now, and my 9 year old is boardering on being able to out ride me at times… as for the big up hill drag at the start – I used to use a bit of old webbing and pull the slowest one up 🙂 NOW though, they fly up it !

stuhawk
    Free Member

Thanks for all the great tips people.

peabrain
    Free Member

The skills park at CYB looks amazing – I love the rock, I’d love somewhere where my 4 year old could practice drops and choose whether he wants to go small or bigger. He isn’t a big fan of long rides , but enjoys the fun bits.

If only Wales wasn’t as far away as the moon we would go there then BPW for a bit of Downhill with uplift – heaven!

loddrik
    Free Member

My 5 year old won’t even get on her bike let alone learn to ride it!!!

My 9 year old thinks riding on grass is a little extreme.

It’s fair to say my kids aren’t very brave.

stuhawk
    Free Member

My daughter (now 7) was not a particularly keen rider until she got a bike she enjoyed riding, nice and light as there’s not much to her and with gears because she always struggled with anything that resembled an incline. Really enjoys going out on it now, nothing too challenging though. Her brother is more adventurous and willing to give things a go, but still a little cautious, which is fine as he’s only 5.
    All kids are different, the lad in the video is the exception (a very good exception) rather than the rule I think.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Worth taking my 5yr old to Llandegla??’ is closed to new replies.