Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Worth going 700cc on MTB for cyclocross?
  • CrumpledCartlidge
    Free Member

Wondering if its worth shelling out to upgrade from 26'' and conti xc 1.5s to 700cc and proper cross tires on my full rigid mtb.

Have checked and they will fit and i run discbrakes so no problems there.

Will it make much difference? worth the upgrade?

Cheers
    Nathan

steve_b77
    Free Member

Whats the point?

Surely there won't be much advantage if any over your existing set up

CrumpledCartlidge
    Free Member

I dont know, thats why im asking?…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i went from 26in conti xcs to a proper cross bike a couple of years ago and it is definitely quicker. It was noticeable in the last race that i did, but more so when the slippy gloopy mud that the mtbs were ok on started to get more sticky and the cross bike cut through it more. The bigger wheels also roll over horrid bumpy grass better (like a 29er)

I dont think that i would bother converting a mountain bike though, a lot of the 'advantage' to me is probably mental, and the fact that the bike is waaaay lighter than any of my mtbs (and doesnt stop due to the tarty red brake blocks i fitted).

Would probably be better seeking out some of the super skinny schwalbe cross tyres for 26" rims. They are a proper cross tyre and much faster / skinnier than even conti xcs.

Of course if the cash isnt a worry, go for it!

aP
    Free Member

I looked into it in about 98 and the clearance is pretty tight. In the end it didn't seem worth the hassle.

ourmaninthenorth

I run Schwalbe 26" cross tyres on my MTB.

But, for me, the limiting factors are (a) not riding enough cross (b) being horrendously uncompetitive and (c) blaming my bike for both (a) and (b).

eddie11
    Free Member

it will be an improvement in traction on the mud and grassy fields that make up the average cross race with less drag.

CrumpledCartlidge
    Free Member

cheers for the replies, think ill get some of these schwalbe cross tyres, 1.35 and a proper CX tread, thatll do nicely 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Worth going 700cc on MTB for cyclocross?’ is closed to new replies.