Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Worth adding glitter to stans?
  • wildc4rd
    Free Member

Stans alone didn’t stop the walk of shame from the trail head this morning… Not a very old tyre either which is more annoying.

bruneep

That’s a big ask for stans to seal that gash.

No anchovies or whatever they are called now.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Glitter probably wouldn’t fix that. Anchovy is what you need.
    Btw I have started using gltter, but mainly to reduce sidewall seepage in Control carcasses.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wildc4rd
    Free Member

(It was intended as vaguely humorous by the way, I’m pretty confident no sealant would have saved me a walk…)

dumbbot
    Free Member

what tyre was out out of interest?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Carry a spare tube for moments like this..

legend
    Free Member

Even a tube would need a boot to help that one out (probably)

wildc4rd
    Free Member

@dumbbot, Specialized Fasttrack, its on the back end of my carbon XC hardtail. Control sidewalls, so not the waffer thin, but not the grid either.

Northwind

I do add glitter, but it’d make no difference in this case unless the glitter was about 5cm square.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s happened to me many times with Spesh Control tyres. Switching to Grid solved that problem for me. Mostly.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Glitter? Seepage? Carcasses? Anchioves? So much wrong.

But yeah you’d need ( not absorbent, structurally flexible yet competent) confetti for that, or anchioves

krixmeister

I don’t think an anchovy would have fixed that either. Tube+boot on the trail, and try a patch inside the tire when you get home?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well Mr know-it-all, I’m good and drunk enough for an internet conflagration so define an the dimsensions of and circumstances leading to unanchiovable sidewall laceration and I’ll recommend the OP a skills course!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The beauty of anchovies is that they can be interlaced, and patches applied, wattle and daub style, to fully rebuild any tyre as long as you have a pair of beads. A spare gear cable and a bit of patient splicing can even circumvent the need for the beads.

With sufficient anchovies, the world is your lobster…

RobHilton
    Free Member

define an the dimsensions of and circumstances leading to unanchiovable sidewall laceration

Pretty small, but right by the bead – just couldn’t get it to work :/

For the record I’ve had a bottle of malbec & 2 double whiskeys.

And 6 packets of crisps…

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Possibly a silly question – but what does the glitter do?

Northwind

Makes you sparkly when you change tyres.

Also, the idea is that it’s just a bit bigger and helps fill up holes. I’ve no idea if it really works tbh, but if I had to call it either way I’d say it does, a bit. And it costs nothing and does no harm

ahsat

I carry a small roll of gorilla tape in my bag for moments like this. Tape the tyre up round the rim. Won’t be getting any strava times but should at least get you home which is good if remote.

vickypea
    Free Member

A piece of toothpaste tube will seal a hole like that, to get you home

mechanicaldope

Had a similar cut on a nano which I had to try and boot with a credit card. Surprisingly enough the stans did nothing to help… Was only halfway through a three day ride through the Welsh mountains and the credit card then led to about 5 pinch flats. Got fed up and removed the boot and replaced with many layers of gorilla Tape which did the job perfectly.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Were you riding three abreast?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That’s happened to me many times with Spesh Control tyres. Switching to Grid solved that problem for me. Mostly.

Ditto. Although the Grids are still downstairs, unfitted. The last slashed Control convinced me to change.

Toothpaste tube / £5 note / cut up tyre, all fastened with some Duck Tape and inflated with a tube would get you home.

shermer75
    Free Member

Get a little Duth boy to stick his finger in it

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Worth adding glitter to stans?’ is closed to new replies.