Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Worth 1×10 over 1×9?
  • Clink

Building up HiFi 29er sus frame. Was intending to go 1×10, but have found 9 speed shifter in garage 🙂

1 x9 with 11-34 cassette; 1×10 11-36.

Presuming it’s not worth the extra £££ for 1 lower gear?

tang
    Free Member

Depends I guess, its hilly here and I did run 1×9 then 1×10, the 36 out back certainly helps! you could go 34 up front?
    Im running a 2×10 on the niner atm and 26/38 with a full spread out back is great on longer rides.
    btw got any os flat bars you want to shift? min 660..

Clink

Cheers – bike is for longer stuff, so might be worth the 36.

btw got any os flat bars you want to shift? min 660..

Nope – just the set I need for this build.

sam2391
    Free Member

got some SRAM 2×10 shifters for sale if your interested. Would sell the RH seperatly if you want. £30

Trimix
    Free Member

A 9 speed rear may go as low as 36, but the next cog down is a big jump, you may find that the closer jump down the gears given by a 10 speed is better.

Try a 32 front first. I rode a mates 1×10 (32 at the front and 36 at the rear) found it just about OK. If it was any harder I would have walked hills Id normally ride.

See if you can try before you buy.

Or at least get a setup where you only have to experiment with the front ring – its cheaper.

Clink

I normally ride ss, so used to grinding up hills rather than spinning. I’ve used 1×9 before but years ago on an old bike.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Clink
    I have 1×10 on 29er and 1×9 on 26er
    to be honest if you have 9 speed gear around go with that, not a lot of difference really . Get a 36 rear though you can climb anything with that.

worth it ???? prob not unless you are starting from scratch (oh and 10 speed will be more expensive)

tazzymtb

tang I may have some easton flat os jobbos 685mm flat with a 9 degree sweep if that’s any use to you.

clink 1×9 with an eliptical front will see you right, you won’t need the extra at the back then 😉

rOcKeTdOg

12-36 x 32 9sp will get you up anything

Clink

clink 1×9 with an eliptical front will see you right, you won’t need the extra at the back then

ah – almost forgotten! any news?

tazzymtb

they were machining them last week so imminent 😀

Clink

cool – let me know when ££ is needed

tang
    Free Member

Could well be taz, cheers. £? mail in profile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Worth 1×10 over 1×9?’ is closed to new replies.