Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Worst road surface award
  • redmex
    Free Member

I nominate Fife council roads are shocking. Rural roads with pot holes you could drown in and the squads that fill the odd bad one up after 3 or 4 days are tipping the excess tarmac 2.30pm then hiding filling out their bonus sheets or on facebook.
    Someone invent a tarmac retarding agent

tang
    Free Member

You can ad Gloucestershire CC to the list.

peteimpreza

Tang beat me to it by a few seconds !!

Surface of the moon is smooth by comparison to our roads

brassneck

That bit of road after Fosbury, before Wiltshire turns into Hampshire.

That.

rickmeister

I’m sorry but who are you as cyclists, moaning….

You don’t pay road tax after all…. what should you expect?

IGMC *

*defintely tongue in cheek comment…

SaxonRider

No, I think this may be the worst road surface:

(from today’s CBC)

zippykona

The roads around here as most places are shocking.
    However lots of our pavements are resplendent with fresh tarmac.
    Maybe they should dip into the bottomless pit of money they have for tipping gravel on bridle ways.

globalti
    Free Member

In our area of Lancashire they are going round, masking the granite kerbstones and the inspection covers then spraying the pavements with bitumen. I can only think they are hoping to bind the crumbling pavements and waterproof the surface.

rocketman
    Free Member

Anywhere really

The roads in and out of any big town are apocalyptic even the fricken M6 is in a right state with rain dripping off the overhead gantries on the smart sections so the gantries can warn us to slow down to FORTY MPH ON A MOTORWAY so we don’t leave our axles in the pot holes caused by rain dripping off the gantries

freeagent
    Free Member

The lanes I regularly ride in Bromley/Sevenoaks are shocking.
    Broken surfaces and huge potholes.

I rode past a horse-rider the other day on what I thought was the edge of the tarmac – turns out it had completely disappeared and I ground to a halt in 6″ of mud.

tthew

Nearly had a crash in Chester this morning. Coming from Vicars Cross direction round Bill Smith Motorbikes, what were avoidable pot holes yesterday have been attacked by the tar spraying truck. The massively excessive amount of gravelly top dressing isn’t stuck down and has been spread all over the road by traffic. Thanks Cheshire West and Chester.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Road surfaces are generally pretty good in Ayrshire, but probably helps that we don’t get proper cold weather much in winter, and volume is nowhere near what you suvverners get.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I nominate Fife council roads are shocking. Rural roads with pot holes you could drown in

I agree, i’ve come to the conclusion they are being paid by the manufacturers of gravel/adventure bikes to create demand.

They did at least resurface one road near me though, so I can have ~3mi of smooth tarmac on most rides

brassneck

They did at least resurface one road near me though, so I can have ~3mi of smooth tarmac on most rides

They’ll have tar’n’chipped that when you get home

Harry_the_Spider

The roads in Bury are appalling at the moment. The recent rain seems to have washed out the potholes make them even worse.

I’ve just had to drop £300 to replace 3 tires with sidewall damage and I drive like a nun.

globalti
    Free Member

Our roads are bad but we’ve a long way to go yet. This is a typical scene in Lagos, where trucks and buses regularly fall over into potholes. The road has broken the suspension on our Ford Explorer there three times and we’ve needed to import spares from a Ford dealer in the USA and courier them out because the dealers in Naija can’t get the Dollars to buy spares….

cokie

Round my way it appears to get to a stage where you’d be faster walking than driving, then the council come along and perform the shabbiest repair you’ve ever seen. Said repair last a week, then rinse and repeat thee above.

I lived in Germany for years and their roads are fantastic. Much better than the UK, despite seeing much more extreme weather conditions. Even the rural roads are great. I always look forward to some spirited rural twisty riding/driving when I head back. How can we get it so wrong!

tjagain

cokie – simple – money! Germany taxes significantly more than we do so their government has money to do things like repair roads

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The roads around here as most places are shocking.
    However lots of our pavements are resplendent with fresh tarmac.
    Maybe they should dip into the bottomless pit of money they have for tipping gravel on bridle ways.

good to hear, as it should be !

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Worst road surface award’ is closed to new replies.