Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Worst non-American accents
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pitt did a good job in Snatch. Given that even most Irish people can’t get the travellers’ accent properly, his was a bloody good effort. Not quite “spot-on” though – “dag” for “dog” is just wrong and always jarred with me when I heard it. And even occasionally now, I have to endure someone doing it for my benefit. 🙂 I could add any effort at an Irish accent by a non-Irish actor (most accept that Pitt’s was possibly the best effort ever at one; and one of the most difficult ones at that). They are always awful. I can’t understand why – is it really that difficult an accent to do?

tomhoward

Is it that non Irishists can’t settle on the same Irish accent through one sentence. Eg starting in the north and finishing in the south? The equivalent of moving from Geordie to Somerset, via scouse?

That’s how my Irish mate explained it anyway.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Aw come on, Mel Gibson in Braveheart wins hands down.

grum
    Free Member

Pitt did a good job in Snatch. Given that even most Irish people can’t get the travellers’ accent properly, his was a bloody good effort. Not quite “spot-on” though – “dag” for “dog” is just wrong and always jarred with me when I heard it. And even occasionally now, I have to endure someone doing it for my benefit. I could add any effort at an Irish accent by a non-Irish actor (most accept that Pitt’s was possibly the best effort ever at one; and one of the most difficult ones at that). They are always awful. I can’t understand why – is it really that difficult an accent to do?

Yeah I’ve worked with travellers a fair bit and I thought his accent was pretty damn good. Have you seen the Irish accents in Sons of Anarchy as mentioned above? They’re astonishing even to me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, haven’t watched it but I’ll check it out. 🙂 Whereabouts in seasons/episodes do they start?

beej

I particularly enjoyed the “Irish” SoA scenes, where clearly anything where you could see the actors was done in the USA, and all the scenes of rolling countryside were shot at a distance using obvious doubles.

(Season Three episode 8+)

Merak

It’s not olden its…[video]http://youtu.be/2ZnoP4sUV90[/video]

branwell
    Free Member

Police officer near the end of Point Break, on the beach where Patrick Swayze’s character is out surfing the big wave.
    The police officer is clearly an American trying to do an Australian accent and failing.

MussEd
    Free Member

I’d like to propose Ray Winston’s attempt at Boston Irish in The Departed. Absolute cack.

Stick to the In-Play Ray.

Freester

All of the Welsh accents in Fireman Sam. Just terrible.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Worst non-American accents’ is closed to new replies.