Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Worst non-American accents
  • SaxonRider

Don’t want to hijack this thread, but I couldn’t see a discussion of bad accents in movies without thinking of Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away.

Holy shit, is that movie the most pathetic mash-up of Irish (or any) stereotypes ever committed to celluloid!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7ZJB0thHc[/video]

tomhoward

Brad Pitt in snatch
    Sean Connery in the hunt for red October
    Dick van dyke in Mary poppins
    Alan Rickman and Jeremy irons in 2 die hards

john_drummer
    Free Member

Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins
    John Wayne as Genghis Khan. Yes, really

molgrips
    Free Member

I ‘ate you ‘Enry ‘Iggins!

mattbee

Russel Crowe in Robin Hood.

jimjam
    Free Member

Richard Gere in Jackal was awesome.

mattyfez

Kevin costner in Robin Hood price of thieves.. He didn’t even try!

Daffy

mattbee – Member
    Russel Crowe in Robin Hood.

This.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Jason Statham with that odd Americanish accent he seems to have now.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

John Terry.

grum
    Free Member

Re Kevin Costner in Prince of Thieves – I seem to remember reading at the time that he had an accent coach who was sacked halfway through filming which was supplied to be noticeable when watching. But his accent was awful all the way through!

drlex
    Free Member

Jeremy Irons again, but as Claus von Bülow in Reversal of Fortune.
    “That was the year Sunny drank too much egg nog”

MrsToast
    Free Member

Michael Fassbender in X-Men First Class, where he keeps randomly going Irish. I think it was claimed that he did it deliberately, in tribute to Sean Connery. I don’t know what accent he was actually going for, I wish he would have just picked one though.

Kevin Bacon’s German accent when speaking German, also in XM: FC. Now, I only have GCSE German, but it sounded pretty bad!

Julia Landau in Buffy/Angel.

Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder in Bram Stoker’s Dracula. DUUUDE, IT’S TOTALLY A VAMPIRE!

Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones, but he gets a pass for being awesome, and because he’s depicting a character from a fictional land, so therefore can’t actually get the accent wrong.

mintimperial

Natalie Portman in V For Vendetta, must have been terrible because it’s pretty much the only thing I can remember from the whole film.

joat

Anything mildly historic is not really judgeable by us. Robin Hood would not sound anything like today’s accents, so Costner’s Hood, if authentic, would probably be impenetrable by our ears. Big names sell movies though, why else would we have inappropriate accents when there are plenty of talented actors with location specific dialects. What I can’t get my head around though is using actors with rubbish accents in small roles in TV dramas, when the profession is awash with underemployed thespians. I’m looking at you csi and your ilk.

Northwind

The double act of Connery and Lambert in Highlander.

“I am Ramiresh, aye’m fae egypt, though I schpent many yearsh in Japan an currently reshide in Schpain. I have never bin to Sssshcotland befoar mind, but I still sound well sssscottish fir some reason.”

“I am Connor Macleod, I have never left scotland but I sound like a swiss-american GPS. Believe it or not I actually got voice coaching for this role”

chip
    Free Member

Colin Farrell in Alexander.

loddrik
    Free Member

Don Cheadle in oceans eleven.

He’s one of my favourite actors too but wtf was he thinking.

tomhoward

Don Cheadle in oceans eleven

Whereas he was perfect in twelve and thirteen 😉 😆

epicyclo

I’ll second Sean Connery – for his Egyptian accent in Highlander 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

There can be only one!

Sean Connery playing an Irishman in ‘the longest day’

[video]http://youtu.be/e5rOrWiCZRo[/video]

WillH

In Sons of Anarchy when the IRA get involved, there’s no end of terrible Oirish accents. There was one particular line delivered by a character that went from passable Belfast, via Cork, Dick-van-Dyke-cockernee, and I think German. In one sentence.

tomhoward

Anthony Hopkins in the fastest Indian.

Thread closed.

RustySpanner

Nah, Quentin Tarantino in Django Unchained.

shermer75
    Free Member

Terence Stamp, a born and bred cockney, mangling a cockney accent:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsdQYWs3nM4[/video]

The Limey

RoterStern
    Free Member

There is a belief that the American accent is closer to Olde English than our own modern accents much the same way that South American Spanish is to the accents in Spain.

ElShalimo

Lyse Doucet

grum
    Free Member

In Sons of Anarchy when the IRA get involved, there’s no end of terrible Oirish accents. There was one particular line delivered by a character that went from passable Belfast, via Cork, Dick-van-Dyke-cockernee, and I think German. In one sentence.

We have a winner. Those were astonishing.

There is a belief that the American accent is closer to Olde English than our own modern accents much the same way that South American Spanish is to the accents in Spain.

It sounds more like Irish/Scottish influenced English to my totally inexpert ear.

shermer75
    Free Member

And, of course, Natascha McElhone in Ronin. The only blot in an otherwise amazing film:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hghczTVgav0[/video]

Wookster

Tom Cruise in Far and away, And Nicole Kidman in the same.

Cameron Diaz Gangs of New York.

Any of the Englist accents in The Last Ship.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nope, Crowe Hood is by the worst I have ever heard. Not for the fact he has a bad accent but for the fact he nails about forty of them throughout the whole film. Seriously, pick a spot and stick to it, I swear he was even Brummie at one point.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Another vote for Ronin, but this time Jonathan Pryce. Terrible.

grum
    Free Member

Russel Crowe in Robin Hood was mentioned up there ^^^^^

[video]http://youtu.be/OrOFYus8zaA[/video]

😀

chip
    Free Member

I say again, Colin Farrell in Alexander, unless he was actually irish (Alexander the great not Colin Farrell)
    [video]http://youtu.be/SxKscPYOOBY[/video]

loddrik
    Free Member

Lyse Doucet

Good shout. I’ve often wondered wtf her accent is. I assumed it’s ‘noofie’ Canadian.

kcr
    Free Member

Most of the cast of “The Piano”

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Robbie ( the russian ) coltrane in Goldeneye

epicsteve
    Free Member

Another vote for the Irish accents in Ronin.

tomhoward

Robbie ( the russian ) coltrane in Goldeneye

Plus whatever accent goldie was supposed to have.

revs1972
    Free Member

Brad Pitt in snatch

Remembering back to the run ins we had with local “travellers” kids when we were younger, I thought Pitt got the accent spot on in Snatch

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Worst non-American accents’ is closed to new replies.