Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 260 total)
  • Worst, most hated, most vile UK city?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how you afford it in a shitehole part let alone a nice bit though! lol!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

whereas I will probbly never visit the place they live in. Simply no need to. I don’t say that to be rude or owt, it’s just a fact. My home town offers me more of what I want than any other city possibly could. Anywhere else, and I’d feel I was missing out on certain things.

Oh how sad. To not even realise that there are things you are missing out on by being so parochial in your viewpoint. YOu don’t even realise what is missing in London

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

YOu don’t even realise what is missing in London

Well, you better come and show me then. 🙄

Actually, I’m sure there’s tons of stuff in London I haven’t a clue about, such is the sheer scale of the place. That’s what I love about it; always something new to discover.

As for other cities; it’s not so much as missing out, it’s about choosing where to visit based on potential appeal. Hence there are a number of places which hold little attraction for me. And some places I’d love to visit, Edinburgh included. I almost did go once, but a holiday in Barcelona was a darn sight cheaper, and quicker to get to…

As for ‘parochial’; have a word with yerself. Your comments about London show just how hypocritical you are in this regard, I’m sorry. And if you read through my posts on here propply, you’ll see that I’m not slagging anywhere off really.

I have actually bin to a number of cities in England, and bin quite underwhelmed by them. Nottingham, Leicester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Coventry, Stoke, Leeds. But unlike you, I won’t dismiss them as crap, because I’ve not seen much of them really. Same way as you haven’t seen anywhere near as much of London as I have.

You’re just jealous because I have a strong sense of identity with a place. Whereas you’ve always felt like an outsider, and always will.

I’m an alien, I’m a legal alien…

jamesca
    Free Member

I lived and worked in Newham for about 7 months and it’s much more chilled out then other parts of london as people are generally just standing around in gangs, not barging past with a trolly bag and mobile phone. also 20 mins drive north and i could be out on my bike.

not somewhere i’d want to live or work long term but okay for a while, quick blast along the DLR and you’re in the city (i say blast but really a crawl, if it was actually working)

KT1973
    Free Member

I have lived in Edinburgh and London and I think they’re both fantastic places and I still go whenever I can get the chance.
    Yarmouth is a dump, as is Preston, Blackpool, Bradford and Birmingham (all of which I’ve visited)

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    YOu don’t even realise what is missing in London

Dear beloved leader, could you please find time to enlighten us poor bright-light bedazzled citizens what is missing from our City ?

I’m sure it would be hugely improved by your wise and considered critique and help make our lives better, happier and more fulfilled 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    I’m an alien, I’m a legal alien…

best way mate, rather that anyday than a middle class faux académique 😉

aliens for the win, simples innit 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh how sad. To not even realise that there are things you are missing out on by being so parochial in your viewpoint. YOu don’t even realise what is missing in London

There’s something missing from everywhere.

That does not make everywhere bad.

Rather than looking for what is missing, try looking for what is there. The list is very very long indeed in the case of London.

hilldodger
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Rather than looking for what is missing, try looking for what is there

Wow ! that’s real ‘thought for the day stuff’ 🙂

Thanks for the inspiration, it’s good to read something uplifting and positive for a change………..

molgrips
    Free Member

😀

That’ll be £3.50 please, pay on your way out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Funny, isn’t it…
    Seems to me that almost all the “hate” is coming from those out of London, while there’s far more tolerance from those in London.

Of course, that can’t be right, as everyone knows London is full of hateful people, isn’t it?

😉

Oh, and Peterborough smells. FACT.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Newport is a sh*thole, i live 6 miles from IT.

how the hell it got city status is a total mystery, in its hayday it was a nice place but im talking yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago.

its stuck between a rock and a hard place as they havent really got the cash to pump into it, nobody goes there and Cwmbran a town near it has stolen all the customers from the shops.

they messed up few years ago when they stopped the damming of the river, this would have helped a bit.

i would put a big vote in for blackpool aswell, sadly i ended up there on a stag party 4 years ago… i was actually looking forward to it until we got off the bus, another place that will never get back the glory days… sad i guess.

molgrips
    Free Member

Newport is indeed a dump. The post industrial economy and the war were not kind to it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Well, placing New York, a city with a history only going back a couple of hundred years, above London is just a bit daft when it comes to architecture. London has far greater depth and diversity, any expert will tell you that.

Unusually for you, you seem to have missed the point there.
    You quoted a list when comparing London to Edinburgh, then rubbished the list for disagreeing with you about Noo Yoik. Does it only have value when it agrees with your fairly narrow view of the world (if it’s not London it’s rubbish?). Like does architecture only have merit when it’s hundreds of years old? Lloyd Wright, le Corbusier, Gehry, Rennie Macintosh have no place in your world?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, placing New York, a city with a history only going back a couple of hundred years, above London is just a bit daft when it comes to architecture

Why? Does good architecture have to be old?

I’ve never been to New York, but I have been to Chicago. To be honest I wasn’t at all fussed to go there but driving or walking down a street full of skyscrapers is quite frankly staggering – one of the sights of the man-made world imo.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Does it only have value when it agrees with your fairly narrow view of the world (if it’s not London it’s rubbish?). Like does architecture only have merit when it’s hundreds of years old? Lloyd Wright, le Corbusier, Gehry, Rennie Macintosh have no place in your world?

No, you’re missing my point; London has a far greater depth of architectural history than New York, so to place NY above London on such terms is daft. London has far greater variety and diversity of styles, throughout the city, whereas most of NY’s outstanding architecture is concentrated in or near Manhattan. And yes, I have bin there.

I appreciate the work of those architects you’ve mentioned. They do fit into a relatively narrow historical period mind.

Whereas with London:

The Romans, the Anglo-Saxons, The Normans, The Tudors, Christopher Wren, Nicholas Hawksmore, The Victorians, The Brunels, John Nash, Pugin, The Gilbert Scotts, Charles Holden, Denys Lasdun, Norman Foster, Richard Rogers, Zaha Hadid and even our very own aP off here, to name just a few, if yer really wanna start name-dropping…. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

How many Roman or Anglo Saxon buildings in London Elf?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why? Does good architecture have to be old?

Not at all. See above.

London’s a greater city, architecturally. It’s as simple as that. No contest.

New Yorkers have said this to me.

How many Roman or Anglo Saxon buildings in London Elf?

Granted, not a lot left, but the foundations of a number of buildings date back to those times, and some parts of original structures exist in some buildings. Point is, those civilisations have had a part in the formation of London, whereas New York is relatively much younger.

But you know this, which is why you’re trying to split hairs… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

London’s a greater more diverse city, architecturally

FTFY

Is diversity linked to greatness? What about places like Granada?

Point is, those civilisations have had a part in the formation of London

Yes, and this is one of the most overwhelmingly amazing things about London IMO. I can walk around the place and be in ten different ages at once.. quite amazing. However in other cities their history is writ just as large across the map.. Even American ones. It’s a shorter period and it’s not necessarily as obvious but it’s still there. Sometimes you have to think like a historian rather than an architect tho.

konabunny
    Free Member

Is diversity linked to greatness?

That’s one of those questions which is inextricably linked to quasi-biological theories and one’s political beliefs.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was talking about architecture, but feel free to expand the context of the thread if you like 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Granted, not a lot left, but the foundations of a number of buildings date back to those times, and some parts of original structures exist in some buildings. Point is, those civilisations have had a part in the formation of London, whereas New York is relatively much younger.

So Pompeii’s (*) a greater city than London because it’s got better quality ruins? can’t see that myself, but then I wouldn’t want to stay in either place. Both fine for a visit though.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

.and how does Venice fit into this? It has virtually no diversity, being pretty much all high renaissance with some Byzantine influence, yet is generally seen as one of the architectural wonders of the world?

EDIT – the railway station doesn’t count.

konabunny
    Free Member

I was talking about architecture, but feel free to expand the context of the thread if you like

But architecture is a manifestation of culture, and one’s architectural preferences are really a question about how one would like to reorder the world to fit one’s own worldview, so it’s all the same…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

This list could go on forever!

Cities, Liverpoool, Manchester & Hull.

Towns:
    Swansea (it isn’t a city is it?)

stumpy01

I can’t even think of a city I could call ‘worst most hated most vile uk city’.

I obviously need to get out a bit more.

And to name London is IMO crazy….

People have mentioned Peterborough quite a few times. I live near Peterborough and while it’s not a great place, it’s not too bad. When I first moved near the area I wasn’t convinced & I always used to think of it as just a name on the A1.

But, there’s a very fancy cathedral, a half decent shopping centre, the river Nene, Nene Valley Railway, Ferry Meadows country park, Peterborough Lido, an ice skating rink with a decent ice hockey team…..etc.
    It’s not a very picturesque place (apart from the cathedral!), but it isn’t bad*.

*as with most places, there are some right crappy areas, granted.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I made my trip to Newport yesterday to try to win some work. Didn’t seem that bad though was taken straight from the rail station to a rather bland building to the east of the town where A449 meets the M4. If we do win the project I’m hoping I can stay in a hotel near the office and never go into the town – should be some nice country lanes to ride on nearby.

So Newport is better than London then as I can ride in the countryside easier right?

molgrips
    Free Member

Konabunny.. you’re being silly now 🙂

eth3er
    Free Member

For a very long time Preston was the absolute dunghole for me, until I went to Peterborough, dear jesus! I nominate both.

Northwind

hilldodger – Member

Dear beloved leader, could you please find time to enlighten us poor bright-light bedazzled citizens what is missing from our City ?

A mountain with a chairlift up it.

Think you guys are jumping on TJ for no reason- everywhere has its own highlights, I love London but all he’s saying is that you can’t say “Town X has everything I want” unless you’ve tried everything there is to try- and no one place in the world has everything. I love the underground, frinstance, don’t know why that is but I’d never have known til I used it, and I miss it when I’m not there. Glasgow clockwork orange isn’t the same and the closest Edinburgh has is the Subway nightclub :mrgreen: (smells the same, just as crowded)

MrOvershoot

missingfrontallobe – Member

This list could go on forever!

Cities, Liverpoool, Manchester & Hull.

Towns:
    Swansea (it isn’t a city is it?)
    Yep Liverpool is shite

I’m not from the area but the shocking ignorance about much of the UK is terrible.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Excellent!

Someone slags off Liverpool, so Mr Overshoot very successfully nullifies their onion by providing examples of it’s greatness. Nice one. I like that, good work Mr O! 😀

There is a threat Binners and I will be visiting Liverpool sometime in the not too distant future….

Pigface
    Free Member

I would rather go to Newport than Cwmbran

hilldodger
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Think you guys are jumping on TJ for no reason

Not jumping, just asking him to elaborate on his statement that London was missing something (vagaries of geology notwithstanding) 😉

He bowls into a thread, drops his little ‘hate bombs’ then doesn’t come back to answer perfectly reasonable questions.

No doubt he’ll reappear quoting ‘piffle and bullshine’, making snidey comments about fellow posters intelligence and being generally provocative.

Anyway, back to reality 🙂 ignoring the insults it’s been a good thread, interesting to hear what other people think constitute a ‘great city’ with some fine photos of places that I for one haven’t seen in person.

Let’s face it, some people enjoy the hustle bustle of city life, others prefer rural tranquility – we’re lucky to live in a country that can offer so much variety and allows people to experience many different lifestyles……

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Wow I saw the thread title and thought I wonder if Newport gets a mention, looks like it’s championship contender mmaterial. It is a dump but it’s not really a bad place to live, there are more pubs per square mile than anywhere else in the UK and it’s also home of the shell-suit, but there’s shed loads of good riding nearby.

I would rather go to Newport than Cwmbran

You mean Cwmbranistan?

Northwind

hilldodger – Member

Not jumping, just asking him to elaborate on his statement that London was missing something (vagaries of geology notwithstanding)

Pff. You call it a “hate bomb” when he says your city doesn’t have everything a city can possibly have? I call it common sense.

boblo
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Oh, and Peterborough smells. FACT.

Peterborough used to smell of Sugar Beet and dog food, it now just smells of dog food as they knocked the beet factory down.

There are some good points to Pbog… It’s on the A1, it’s on the A14, it’s on the East Coast main line, it’s 50 mins from Kings Cross and 1 hour from Luton, East Mids and Stansted airports.

You see, the best thing about Pbog is you can escape really, really easily 🙂

Diane
    Free Member

London – find it really unfriendly

Stoke and Swindon – on a parr

but BLACKPOOL – ugh! Went to take the kids to see the lights once – had to bribe them with sweets etc so we could go home early before it got dark 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

there are more pubs per square mile than anywhere else in the UK

There are fewer pubs per square mile that I would actually be prepared to step foot inside than anywhere else in the UK tho 🙂

Yes it has decent riding, but it’s just as accessible from Cardiff near enough, which is a much nicer place 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Yep Liverpool is shite

I notice that when illustrating the delights of Liverpool you didn’t include any people! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Worst, most hated, most vile UK city?’ is closed to new replies.