Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Worst job I've done on a bike….
  • greyspoke
    Free Member

I vaguely remember getting very frustrated with cotter pins (but I was quite young at the time). Then those new-fangled square taper cranks came along.

DezB
    Free Member

Bleeding Avid brakes. Sold em on ebay (“Need bleeding”!).

Adjusting the dropout on singlespeed Genesis frame. Bent adjuster with those tiny hex ends (2mm I think). Threw the frame across the garage and dented it 😳 . (Eventually retrieved it and it still lives)

Internal routing is just the most frustrating fiddly job, like threading a needle in the dark.

NEVER cut a carbon steerer with a pipe cutter!

Fitting tubeless tyres (anything but Hutchinson or Maxxis) can result in sweating more than going for a teenage actress part in a Harvey Wienstein film.

I hate it most of it, hence this thread!

retro83
    Free Member

anything that involves snapping/rejoining the chain. Then you have to try and thread it through the oil/dirt covered rear mech while holding it on the chainring which thanks to gravity is also trying to unwind then holding it all together getting the split chainlink joined back up.

You finally get it back together (having avoided the split link pinging apart and sending one half of it into orbit), only to ride the **** and find you threaded the chain over the top of the guide between the jockeywheels instead of under it so makes a grinding noise every time you pedal.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, but retro83, with the simple addition of..

(Use to hold mech to chain stay)
    that job is a breeze (but don’t try it with your bike upside down 🙂 )

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My experience in cutting steerers has been fine with hack saw and saw guide.
    It was recommended that I use a pipe cutter instead by my LBS.

I bought a pipe cutter and have used it twice to cut fork steerers. I found that the pipe cutter ‘bruises’ the steerer either side of the cut which then required dressing out with file to allow the headset parts over.

I still find it quicker and easier with my trusty hacksaw.

retro83
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Ah, but retro83, with the simple addition of..

(Use to hold mech to chain stay)
    that job is a breeze (but don’t try it with your bike upside down )

nah, that would be admitting defeat, much like using the proper tool to take the split link apart instead of getting really cross while bending it back and forth in your hands

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Worst job I've done on a bike….’ is closed to new replies.