• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • worst hotel in south Wales..?
  • nickc

Spent a great day at Bike Park Wales today, even if it was pretty snowy, If you’ve not been GO!! Book it now! but…

made the mistake of booking into the Crown Hotel in Merthyr Tidfyll… If you ever wondered where all the flock wallpaper ended up..wonder no more. 😆 so far we’ve a double socket that’s staying put through habit rather than actual screws or anything technical like that, a bust telly, no heating…managers tried to bleed the radiator, and managed to just soak the wall.

It’s Fawlty Towers without the decent jokes…

Make me feel better with your hotel tales of woe…

mrsfry
    Free Member

Shine a Black light on the sheets.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Darlington Spa Hotel

Actually a portacabin on Tees Valley Airport.

How the **** they came up with the name I’ve no idea.

martinhutch

Any Britannia Hotel. Woeful, dirty, unprofessional.

croen
    Free Member

Corbett Arms Hotel – now closed, but I’ve never seen reviews like it. Entertaining to read though.

null

croen
    Free Member

Thanks Junkyard, not sure why it didn’t work. Some of the other reviews were pretty good/bad too.

PePPeR

I only opened this thread up to say nothing could be worse than the Crown Hotel in Merthyr, and never ever leave anything in the car in the car park!

Worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in!

Did you ignore all the do not eat takeaway in the rooms and petty rule signs everywhere?

I am only presuming it’s still like this as it’s been 10 years since I’ve been there.

iain1775
    Free Member

I stayed in a B&B in Porthcawl once that was called ‘Sound of the Waves Guest House’
    Sound of the waves was very accurate, given the window was smashed and there was a massive breeze coming through

I also slept fully clothed, and with a hood up with shoes at the side of the bed so I could step straight into them, not because the broken window made it cold but because it was so filthy

I did a runner without paying early the next morning, only time I’ve ever done a runner from anywhere, and I didn’t feel guilty one bit it was truly awful

scaled
    Free Member

The Ramada in Budapest was awful, all the rooms smelled of smoke, there were rolling blackouts, wifi was a disaster and no mobile signal.

On the other hand there was some sort of fashion convention on so the entirety of the bar and lobby was full of 6ft women in some stunning outfits. It was like something out of a bond film.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I hope you’ve got your bike in your room!! and not for any sordid reasons either

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’ve had the misfortune to stay in the Crown hotel in MT.

Terrible hotel, i had broken furniture, lights which worked depending on how hard and how frequently you flicked the switches.

A corby trouser press with the plug removed but left on the floor.
    Two lamps but only one set of sockets

Metal windows which would not shut flush.

The bikes were heavily locked up down stairs.

dragon
    Free Member

TBF it is in Merthyr what did you expect?

Worst hotels I’ve been in were some place in Rotherham and the Hilton Gatwick, with the Hilton winning for the sheer audacity of charging something like £180 per night!

But nothing will ever top a ‘hotel’ I stayed in, in France. Which to name some of the many charms had carpet for wallpaper and tea towels instead of bath towels 😆

IdleJon

TBF it is in Merthyr what did you expect?

Ha, I was about to post the same thing.

lemonysam
    Free Member

But nothing will ever top a ‘hotel’ I stayed in, in France. Which to name some of the many charms had carpet for wallpaper and tea towels instead of bath towels

France does have some masterpieces of the hotellier’s art. We stayed in a “family suite” in Calais once where they’d squeezed a double and two singles into a double room which meant that a.) you couldn’t move around the room without climbing over the beds and b.) the door didn’t open wide enough to get the bags in, you had to pass them over the top of the door.

towzer

once a upon a time in Glastonbury, booked in to a pub hotel,looked ok – bit downmarket but bar was ok and fairly busy. We went off out on the razz and listening to local bands, came back late with fish and chips and my mate launched himself onto his bed and then performed a fabulous sideways somersault roll and landed in a slightly stunned heap on the floor surrounded by an explosion of chips – turned out his single was 4 mattresses on top of each other. Anyway slept ok and went downstairs for brekkie at 8am, nobody about, eventually found a note from the staff to the management in the bar – they’d all resigned, effective immediate so we were now locked in the hotel, we managed to unsnib a window in the bar and wandered downtown to find a cafe, then came back and climbed in the same window, much to the surprise of the manager who had now turned up. To be fair he gave us a fiver each for brekkie/inconvenience and we went on our ways.

rusty90
    Free Member

The Garden Hotel (and Chinese Restaurant) in Bangor provided epic levels of rudeness from the moment we squeezed into their tiny car park only to be told we couldn’t park there
    No park, guest only
    But we are guests – we’re booked to stay here tonight
    No park, guest only

My son’s complaint that there wasn’t a light bulb in his room was countered with the accusation that he must have stolen it.
    You take it. Welsh all thieves, I know this

They continued this right through to breakfast the following morning
    You have tea or coffee?
    My wife and I will have coffee please, and my son would like tea
    You have tea OR coffee. No both

The highlight was a delicacy I’d not sampled before – frozen toast. Whether they managed this culinary wonder by toasting the bread then freezing it, or freezing the bread then toasting it we never discovered.

All in all a truly memorable stay.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Port Talbot Beach Resort Hotel – Not actually that bad but the name and location?

A beach resort view of the steel works and ships queuing up for it. Probably no ships now 🙁

Pigface
    Free Member

WCA still ships going into Port Talbot, the big swimming pool on the front burnt down though.

On my bike Tour I had two memorable stays, one was a hostel where you couldn’t take any thing made of leather in. They checked my shoes 😯

The other was a Motel just outside of Portland, $19.99 a night or the honeymoon suite was 69.99 and it had a Jacuzzi. The reception was caged like a bank with a little slot to talk to the receptionist. She was really nice, said no problem to take my bike into my room. Shared bathroom which had blood all over it. Didn’t pull back the bedclothes just slept on top. I was on the ground floor and was woken up a number of times by red and blue flashing lights. Eye opening place considering the area around it didn’t look rough.

rusty90
    Free Member

And what did Sir expect to see from the window of a hotel in Port Talbot? The Great Barrier Reef? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
    No, you get to admire the jewel in the crown of the British Dutch Indian steel industry.

IdleJon

rusty90 – Member

And what did Sir expect to see from the window of a hotel in Port Talbot? The Great Barrier Reef? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
    No, you get to admire the jewel in the crown of the British Dutch Indian steel industry.

Oh come on, avoid the industrial rudeness and you’ll gaze on a bay which has been compared to the Bay of Naples.

(Possibly in the dark. Or by someone who had never been to the Bay of Naples. Or perhaps comparing as in ‘this is a dump compared to the Bay of Naples’.

Pigface
    Free Member

Aberavon is indeed a jewel 😆 the beach from Port Talbot works all the way down to Porthcawl is lovely, fat biked it when living in Swansea.

IdleJon

My post was a bit tongue in cheek, Pigface. I love it here. And haven’t yet been to the Bay of Naples. 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

I know Jon, it is easy to become a bit blase about how amazing Swansea Bay is.

rusty90
    Free Member

the beach from Port Talbot works all the way down to Porthcawl is lovely

Indeed. Amazing sand dunes which were used to film Lawrence of Arabia. Obviously taking care never to point the cameras northwards.

Cougar

I went to Merthyr Tidfyll once. It was closed. Seriously, the place was a ghost town, I’ve never seen anything like it.

samunkim
    Free Member
    avdave2

On the other hand there was some sort of fashion convention on so the entirety of the bar and lobby was full of 6ft women in some stunning outfits.

In Budapest you say, are you sure it was a fashion event. 🙂

project
    Free Member

Stayed in a hotel in Tel aviv, a few years ago, armed security guards on front door, bomb shelter on each floor, armour plated windows, found this out when i walked into one, glass about 2 inches thick, armed waiters at breakfast, large underground bomb shelter nearby.

Really freindly staff and great atmosphere.

gwaelod
    Free Member

its widely quoted locally that Port Talbot at night was Ridley Scott’s inspiration for the opening sequence of Blade Runner..although I’ve heard the same said about Teeside as well

Me – I suspect Tolkein had been there before he wrote about Mordor….

grey

Worst hotel I’ve ever been to I never stayed it was that bad.
    It was a place called the Rat Trap in South Wales, the name should have been a clue.
    The rooms were so bad when we saw them we walked out and found a Holiday Inn further up the road.
    I’ve seen cleaner skips, thing is the locals all said it was great for food and really popular, I just hope the kitchens were cleaner than the rooms.

grey

Looks like the Rat Trap hasn’t gotten any better The Rat Trap
    Looks like it has actually closed, thank God.

Alex

Come and stay with us next time Nick. We’ve fixed the electrics now so they no longer short out the village. And you get a sloppy labrador for free 🙂

nickc

Cheers Al, I’ll take you up on that!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘worst hotel in south Wales..?’ is closed to new replies.