Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Worst. Conditions. Ever?
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

Trails have dried out massively after 1 and a bit weeks of reasonly hot weather on the IOW. Even the claggy clay of Parkhurst Forest has returned to a rideable consistency.

Mudguards aff! 😀

crikey
    Free Member

All this time I thought binners was a boy!

binners

I HATE this weather because I keep getting my nice white shorts dirty crikey

cloudnine
    Free Member

I ve been riding a ‘cheeky’ super hardpacked coastal trail which has literally zero mud and dries out nearly as fast as tarmac. Just havent bothered with most of my other local trails as they will be waist deep in mud. Absolutely amazing full moon at dusk yesterday

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    What were you all expecting when you bought mountain bikes? Did the omens of impending greenhouse gas related apocalypse make you think you’d be riding in something like the mojave desert by now? It’s Britain ffs, it gets muddy, that’s why we have nobbly tyres.

A sport involving less obnoxious **** than football?

I ve been riding a ‘cheeky’ super hardpacked coastal trail which has literally zero mud and dries out nearly as fast as tarmac. Just havent bothered with most of my other local trails as they will be waist deep in mud. Absolutely amazing full moon at dusk yesterday

Odly I’ve been doing exactly the same! Figres that being 200ft up cliff it must dry well! Only downside is half a mile of beach and the steps up to it.

cinnamon_girl

Well my first single track ride post-surgery was at Swinley … in the rain. 🙁 Couldn’t believe how mucky it was and the state of some of the trails was pretty dire too.

Mind you the previous day I had a brilliant XC ride in dry conditions but it necessitated having full body cover!

I guess I haven’t missed much by being off the bike for 3 months. 🙂

binners

You back in the saddle then CG? How was it? And … no… you haven’t missed much. Its been pretty dire, interspersed with very occassional lovliness

crikey
    Free Member

As well as thinking binners was a boy, I also thought she was from the North….

cinnamon_girl

Waves to binners 🙂 Yes, I’m pootling along on the mtb. Road bike is ready and waiting for a dry interlude (that’s wot I had the accident on).

crikey – nah, am a Southern wuss! Can’t you tell? 😉

jimmy748

Was a bit dusty the other night, but I manged to cope ok 8)

binners

After last nights ride, I would like to reappraise my initial assertion that the other week represented the worst conditions ever. After yet more bloody rain, everything truly is at complete saturation point. It was truly awful last night!! Like riding through porridge 🙁

devs
    Free Member

Up here in the arctic tundra we’ve had a couple of thunderstorms which have kept the dust down for a few days now. Other than that the trails are lush. HTH. We do seem to have the jungle thing going on as well though. Who needs tattoos when you can join teh bramble self harm club?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Look on the bright side, no hosepipe bans anymore so you can wash yer bikes after getting them covered in glaur 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

Our village green has had permanent bogs/lakes in the middle of it for the last few of months.
    I’ve never seen that before, even in winter, so it’s got to be pretty bad.

I haven’t bothered testing most of the trails though, sticking to the road 🙂

Brown
    Free Member

Surely you know your local trails well enough to be able to avoid the ones that will be permanent bogs/porridge/calf deep quagmires?

I don’t mean that as a troll!

ransos
    Free Member

Binners, is there any riding in the Rammy area that isn’t axle deep in filth?

Drac

What mud?

Looking down The Street by Lee Collis, on Flickr

binners

Brown. Thats what we did. We planned the route so as not to end up sinking. Which made things pretty dull to be honest. Surfaced bridleways. You expect to be doing that in January. Not for the entire of August. Its depressing

Ransos – just replied to your other thread. You’ll be fine with the route you’re planning. Its properly surfaced and well drained

transapp
    Free Member

Got to say that I’m very pleased a guy at work has lent me a road bike, and I’d have never uttered those words previously! A lot of the trails I ride are very steep mud and roots so as soon as they get wet, there’s no chance whatsoever of getting up them, and pretty small chance of getting down with any fun on the way. I was so looking forward to this summer after breaking my shoulder last year and spending so long off the bike!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Worst. Conditions. Ever?’ is closed to new replies.