Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Worst bike item of 2014.
  • gee
    Free Member

Race Face BBs and E13 BBs in BB92 pressfit.

Both failed after one wet ride. Rubbish.

Fitted a Rotor one now and it’s been ace so far.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

when 14 knobs fall off

One would be enuf for me. Turn 360 degrees and walk away!

rickon
    Free Member

Schwalbe tyres in general. Nobby Nic lasted 3 months before getting sliced and then all the grip disappearing from the centre tread.

My Hans Dampf was awesome for about 3 months, then all the side knobs fell off, and then the centre section lost all grip.

Replaced with Maxxis DHF and DHR2, which have been excellent.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Schwalbe tyres in general.

used 2

come on 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I like Schwalbe tyres.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Shimano MT 68 freehubs. Same as the Saint, XTR and Zee. They screw into the hub , rather than the old style of separate allen bolt. Total pish….. 3 freehubs in 120 miles, says they are just crap. Were 24 hole hubs too on my wheel, so an arse to swop out. But I found a 24 hole hub and the shitmano is now in the dusty junk cupboard.
    Magura discs…….. totally blued and softened meant they just dissolved. Old used discs swapped over and power restored.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Shimano axle cones. Now killed one set on an XTR hub with less than 1000 miles and both front and rear on a set of MT55 wheels with less than 500 miles. The bearings are perfect, the grease was clean, the inner races on the wheels were perfect too. Only the cones are borked.

Not a happy bunny. Especially as spares for these are impossible to find.

honourablegeorge

bikebouy – Member
    On my CX’er, when I bought it, it had some rather suspect SRAM disc brakes on it. By all accounts I was supposed to die in a ball of fury and flames should I ever have the audacity of pulling a leaver. SRAM recalled them, well recalled the bike actually but I refused the cable replacements and waited for the replacement Hydros. They duly arrived, got fitted and have honestly been as good as the original supplied brakes.

So I’m not really saying the brakes are the worst, nope what im saying is the 4.5 months it took SRAM to sort out the replacements and the 7 weeks the bike was in Giant whilst being told the brakes were on their way.

It’s the lost time on the bike I think is the worst thing I’ve “bought” in 2014.

Weren’t SRAM just giving the mechanical brakes as a temporary measure and then giving hydros when they were available?

edhornby

Aldi’s shorts, used to be cheap but functional, but they’ve got worse in quality which isn’t good for commuters who don’t want to splash £40+ on bibs

molgrips
    Free Member

Now killed one set on an XTR hub with less than 1000 miles and both front and rear on a set of MT55 wheels with less than 500 miles.

Wow, you have some other problem then – these things are pretty reliable, aren’t they? Mine certainly are.

kimbers

Last bike came with shimano hubs, not had any for a long time, now I remember why ! ran them through last winter and they have been a right pita, cones coming loose, rattly and poorly sealed, 15mm front needs an extra big cone spanner too, not to mention a deeper bb tool for the front and deeper cassette tool for the rear cntrelock adaptors
    Now the cones are pitted – ‘kin Joke !
    I only run them as a dh days now, thank goodness for my hopes on the good wheelset!

Most stuff seems fine, dunno what this issue with the pikes is, mine are not far off my RC3tis once I got some tokens in I was able to set them up lovely, Im a bit porky,maybe that helps !

rickon
    Free Member

used 2

come on

To be fair, I used them for years – I went through a pair of Schwalbe tyres in a couple of months – at the time I was getting them for £15 for the EVO tri-star, so that was OK. At £50 a tyre, I want more than a few months.

I like Schwalbe tyres.

Don’t you be bringing your good mood on here, Mister. We’re all grumpy on this thread.

Xylene
    Free Member

A 4 pound smart phone case and mount from ebay

Mount was designed for round bars, didn’t fit my bike.

Then when I bodged it, the case holding my note 2 let go and deposited it on the road.

It looked good in the photos though/

PrinceJohn

A 4 pound smart phone case and mount from ebay

Mount was designed for round bars, didn’t fit my bike.

Then when I bodged it, the case holding my note 2 let go and deposited it on the road.

It looked good in the photos though/

Ouch. A £4 item to securely fasten a £400 item to a bike handlebar?

coatesy
    Free Member

I also suffer with the threadless presta stems (fitted to just about all Cannondale road bikes), they’d be no problem on a mountain bike, but reach 85psi and every track pump in the workshop just blows off them.Operating a track pump one handed at high pressures is awkward to say the least, we have a decent compressor and Park inflator, but once system losses are taken into account,this won’t get much above 90psi, and we’re back to the track pump issue again.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    when 14 knobs fall off
    One would be enuf for me. Turn 360 degrees and walk away!

Turn 180 degrees and you’ll get further away faster.

wilburt
    Free Member

Endura bibshorts, utter shite my gnarling arse managed to destroy two pairs in as many months.

Not really feeling much love for the bundled Mavic tyres either which is a shame cod their wheels are excellent.

coatesy
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be a proper “Worst of” type thread without a mention of Lapierre either, not content with requiring the John Wayne riding style to clear the stays (I still catch my heels after riding hundreds of them), has anyone had to change their rear pads without removing the caliper first? In fairness, you can easily sight through the caliper to re-centre it, though getting in to hold it central and getting it tight’n’right is easier said than done.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still no Hora???? can somebody pop round and check on him.

hora
    Free Member

The FSA wheels that came on my PlanetX. The Ultegra/GP4000s have transformed the ride/sidewind performance. What Dick at PlanetX chose them?

scotroutes

I thought it was all the fault of the forks and/or the wrong size, wrong riding position?

hora
    Free Member

No. Sorted the saddle height/reach. The biggest improvement was the tyres/wheels. I feel like I could ride it all day now.

scotroutes

Good one. You’ll be entering that 1,300km Audax next!

hora
    Free Member

Calderdale Flanders Sportive next

teasel
    Free Member

A One-Ten windproof top from CRC. I swear it was a joke and someone had pilfered the original and replaced it with a carbon copy made from greaseproof paper.

Bleeding ‘orrible thing that went straight back.

hora
    Free Member

CRAFT Siberian Windproof gloves are going back. They are shit. You can feel the wind coming through the middlr fingers fabric.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I bought a pretty mini pump (Oxford) I think, lent it to a stranger at Afan and they stole it! 29er rider so I should have known. Anyway I tried to replace it with a Tesco mini pump for £3 – I didn’t expect much from my ‘less than a pint these days’ pump – but it self-destructed in the car on the way home.

fivespot
    Free Member

27.5″ wheels………..left my 2012 26″ wheeled Mega at home to demo a 27.5″ version. Only at Llandegla mind, but at no point up or down did it make me rush out and sell my old Mega, in fact, now I have two 26″ wheeled Mega’s 8)

gavstorie
    Free Member

c-guide chain device/tensioner..

lasted 2-3 rides before it disintegrated..

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Conti Mountain King II

Bought a set of the cheaper to try. Punctured on every ride I used them on. Literally 7 / 7.
    Bought some Protection versions thinking I liked the tyres. Side walls failing badly, lots of hairy canvas hanging out.

Rubbish

Put some old Maxxis back on and I no longer think about tyres. I should never have turned my back on you dear, dear Maxxis.

dragon
    Free Member

Conti inner tubes whose core unscrew when used with a lezyne pump.

Time ATAC pedals, great pedals but recently someone at Time has decided to save money on the quality of the bearings and seals.

Northwind

@dragon, that’s a fault of the pump not the tubes.

Ah no wait! I did buy something rubbish, new Five Ten Impact VXIs. Impacts used to be the world’s grippiest sponges, now they’re the world’s grippiest logs, absolutely no feel or feedback whatsoever. Bloody shame, everything about them is better than the old Impact apart from the one thing they had to get right

Ps, size 9 impacts for sale, worn twice, shite. £60

andytherocketeer

Was going to say KMC chains, but tbf I think that was 2013.

At least have the decency to snap after 3 rides, and not 2.5 rides.

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe it’s all of your track pumps which are rubbish – just realised that the TT bike also has smooth stems on the valve extenders and I’ve had those up to 140psi with my Joe Blow Sport.

Sorry I can’t contribute anything of my own – haven’t really bought much bike stuff, and I think all my uni stuff works.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I’d like to nominate (proper) Campagnolo Power Torque bearings but not for the usual reason (yeah, the system’s a bit of a faff). The bearings run beautifully smooth right up to the point where they’re pressed into the cups. Then they’re notchy and stiff. I’ve tried again and again and they’re either incompletely pressed in, or notchy. No amount of arsing around seems to cure it. I guess the tolerance isn’t that good 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was close to getting a PowerTorque chainset before I did a quick check of the forums 😯

Andy

Vee Rubber V8 4″ fatbike tyres. Horrific steering veer on hard pack and the sidewalls ripped after 300 miles. 🙁

pictonroad

Lezyne pump. Unscrews the valve core every time. 😈

Complained to the shop, was SOLD another adaptor, metal into plastic thread stripped in one use.

overpriced shiny crap

darkcyan
    Free Member

Can I say anything by conti!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m with rickon. Worst thing I bought was hans dampfs. Went back to rubber queens and much happier.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Worst bike item of 2014.’ is closed to new replies.