Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • worrying times indeed
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

That was The Guardian not The Times 😆

binners

Its truly terrifying what’s going on. All in the name of a completely discredited dogma. Its nothing short of the systematic dismantling of the welfare state, by handing the lot, lock, stock and barrel to their totally unaccountable, rapacious and profiteering friends.

As noted, its a race to the bottom or the top, depending on where you’re already sat. The increased division of our already hugely divided society. These privatised services will become vastly profitable to a select few, while wages are driven down to subsistence level, and working conditions, smashed away, rather than eroded, for everyone else.

Luckily, we have an effective opposition who are fighting the corner of ordinary people, and keeping the worst excesses of a rich Tory elite in check

Oh…erm…. hang on a minute….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so whats the difference between a public sector paying people minimum wage and mismanaging them compared to the private sector?

binners

Someone making a shedload of money out of it, perhaps?

Basically the whole ‘privatised is better’ logic really is just being sold a handful of magic beans. The ‘service’ invariably gets worse, while wages and conditions are forced down to the lowest common denominator for the staff. All while a select few make an absolute killing!

such as….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Someone making a shedload of money out of it, perhaps?

As opposed to a bunch of feckless idiots trying to get through to their golden handshake/pension.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s the last minute Eton Mafia sell-off

they know they’re **** at the next general election, so they are grabbing what they can on the way out the door..

snide little **** criminals the lot of them..

richmtb

Yes its shocking.

Its essentially shadow privitisation.

And its to the benefit of no one except the owners of the private companies.

Take the case of the old lady who died in Surrey when she was left without care for 9 days.

Surrey Council had outsourced its care dept. The dept was using illegal immigrants as labour – no doubt to either increase profits or win bids for work due to lower labour costs.

The company was raided by immigration and closed.

No care for the old lady in Surrey.

She died after being left alone for 9 days

jamj1974

This absolutely disgusts me.

Labour should be making absolute mincemeat out of the Tories for this – but for some reason they are not… Tories absolutely going balls out to increase the gap between rich and poor, shamelessly trying to appease the uber-rich and dancing to the tune of largely amoral big business (The Thatcher doctrine.).

I can honestly say I hate CMD and Gideon!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

As opposed to a bunch of feckless idiots trying to get through to their golden handshake/pension.

It depends where you’re sitting. I have managers who are doing exactly that, yet the staff who work for them, who are essentially keeping the wheels turning, are getting a much worse deal.

If this is my future, which judging by the meeting I had yesterday with an external contractor to discuss
    ” reviewing the service ” then I’m looking for the nearest exit.

Who is going to suffer ? Not the people at the top, that’s for sure.

wrecker
    Free Member

I can honestly say I hate CMD and Gideon!

I hate Gideon, I also equally hate Milliband and Balls.
    That’s proper hate, mind you not watered down dislike.

binners

When this lot are voted out, do you reckon many of them will pop up, earning absolutely enormous salaries, as advisers or consultants to the same companies that have profited hugely from this stealth privatisation?

Hmmmmmm…. I wonder….

patriotpro
    Free Member

A private health system run well is something to be envied

I used mine a handful of times during my stint in der fatherland and was superb.

Paid only slightly more than did to the NHS, my employer paid in too admittedly but it was well oiled machine back then.

RustySpanner

These people are truly dangerous.
    We should get rid of them, by any non- violent means possible, as soon as we can.

They care for nothing and no-one but their own kind.

They will steal our birthright and sell it back to us, smiling at their own cleverness and amazed at our passive stupidity.
    They will destroy everything that people have worked and fought for, purely for greed and power.
    They will create misery and division.
    And they will profit from it.

TheFlyingOx

You know what amuses me about all these type of threads? The fact that people seemingly think that their “side” aren’t doing/wouldn’t do exactly the same but wearing a different hat.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m not picking sides, just sad that its happening 🙁

RustySpanner

Of course.

Because the NHS, BBC, welfare provision and the state education system were created purely out of greed and selfishness, weren’t they?

ThePinkster

Rusty Spanner – Member
    These people are truly dangerous.
    We should get rid of them, by any non- violent means possible, as soon as we can.

But who do you replace them with?

I am in no way defending the government policies in any way shape or form as I’ve seen the impact it can and does have, but I have yet to hear anyone who shouts and waves their metaphoric pitchforks come up with a suggestion for actually fixing the problem, it’s always ‘they must go’ but never followed by ‘and we must do this….’

yunki
    Free Member

The fact that people seemingly think that their “side” aren’t doing/wouldn’t do exactly the same but wearing a different hat.

I think we’re all well past the age where we’re hopeful enough to believe that one ‘side’ is any better or different to another

RustySpanner

Governments can do wonderful things.

The means of providing equality and opportunity are there, but we seem to have forgotten how, in only two or three generations.

wrecker
    Free Member

The means of providing equality and opportunity are there

Like gay marriage?
    That’s not me sticking up for the tories BTW. I am pleased that CMD stood up to his party for what’s right though. Feel dirty now.

binners

Democracy in this country has never looked so shabby and threadbare. But the labour party is simply incompetent and spineless

The Tories, on the other hand, are cynical, divisive, mean-spirited and willfully cruel.

And the Lib Dems, utterly pointless

richmtb

The thing is not only do we get a shite outsourced public services but we pay twice for them anyway.

All these outsourcers paying their staff minimum wage – who then claim housing benefit and tax credits because they can’t afford to live on minimum wage.

So the state ends up supporting the profits of private enterprise. And we end up with poor services that in the end cost no less.

binners

Indeed richmtb. We are all, as taxpayers, providing a subsidy to the profits of private companies who are already profiteering from the state.

The most cynical thing about this oursourcing, particularly in Health is this ridiculous notion, promoted by CMD, that charities, and not-for-profit organisations could bid to supply services. Well…. they can bid. But the rules have been rigged so there isn’t a cat in hells chance of them actually winning a bid, unless they are part of a partnership with Capita, G4S etc. Which basically means that Capita will pay the initial capital for the bid, insurance etc, then sit back and let the charity do all the work, while they skim off all the profits

richmtb

geetee1972
    Free Member

providing a subsidy to the profits of private companies who are already profiteering from the state

Whatever Binners – you’re benefiting from it to you know.

yunki
    Free Member

thx1138
    Free Member

Democracy in this country has never looked so shabby and threadbare

Wrong. ‘Democracy’ in this country has never before been exposed as an an utter sham; nothing more than a mythical notion, the fanciful idea that the ordinary people have a say in how their society is run.

binners

In what way am I benefiting? Nothing springs readily to mind

geetee1972
    Free Member

In what way am I benefiting? Nothing springs readily to mind

Most directly by your pension, which will be invested in some way in these companies. More indirectly by virtue of the corporation tax that these companies pay, which the government will spend on your behalf.

AdamW
    Free Member

Really? I thought tax was optional for these companies?

binners

Most directly by your pension, which will be invested in some way in these companies. More indirectly by virtue of the corporation tax that these companies pay, which the government will spend on your behalf.

I’m sorry, but that’s utter cobblers. A large amount of these firms benefitting from these new privatised contracts (care homes used by local authorities, for example) are funded by private equity. So we don’t benefit in the slightest. They do. A lot.

On your second point… you’re right. None of these large multinationals have any track record for avoiding corporation tax at all, and all gleefully stump up exactly whats owed to the exchequer, without question. Their only reward, the knowledge that they are contributing to the gaiety of the nation through their impeccable corporate benevolence

RustySpanner

Too much regulation Binners.
    That’ll be the problem right there.

white101

The is no such thing as the opposition, despite a large number of Labour MP’s being former union stooges this doesnt mean for one minute that they will stand up for the ‘man in the street’ with any great conviction, they know nothing will change because they are also part of the machine that is making the change to privatisation of everything.

Next year will see the first contract awarded by this government to a private company to provide Telehealth. A system whereby a callcentre rings you up at home and checks on your health, you will be asked to take your own BP and Ox Sat levels amongst other things and give the info to the call handler, they will pass it all on to a doc for review. Thereby saving time and money going into a GP surgery. The DoH have figures which suggest that 15m people could use this system. It will be run by a private company, they will have nurses and doctors working for them but they wont be the NHS.

PS What a lot of people forget is that the GP and dental work carried out in the UK is already private, these people just have contracts to supply services to the NHS, for a cost.

instanthit
    Free Member

Revolution.
    Surely its the only way.
    Get the peasants on their bikes (thats us) and overthrow the t*****s.
    In two months time i will be working for a private company who will be making money in the name of helping people with mental health difficulties. Wrong, very very wrong.
    Lets hope for some instant karma.

clubber
    Free Member

Get the peasants on their bikes (thats us)

Have you never met the average STWer? 🙂

I am loling (though really it’s not funny) at the CRC advert at the bottom of this thread saying ‘Sale Ending. Final Reductions’.

CountZero

they know they’re **** at the next general election, so they are grabbing what they can on the way out the door..

snide little **** criminals the lot of them..

Just like the last lot who said, on leaving, ‘sorry, all the money’s gone’ 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

so whats the difference between a public sector paying people minimum wage and mismanaging them compared to the private sector?

Because the private companies will compete to win the bids. One area in which they will compete is cost. They will then cut their own costs, by paying their staff as little as they can get away with (amongst other things).

This is all well and good so far, because if they don’t pay enough then their staff will leave. But if everyone in that job area is competing for business then all the jobs will be poorly paid. Therefore, the employees will end up scraping a living.

The big problem with this capitalist idea is that all the workers end up on the absolute bare minimum. It’s not a controversial idea, it’s not a rant, it’s a rock solid well understood consequence of capitalism.

Now I’m all for balance in arguments and seeing both sides, but I’m nailing my **** red flag to the mast here. Making money the heart of the system only leads to misery for most of us.

Who can help? The **** government, that’s who. They are in a unique position of being able to fix this by running things themselves and taking this nasty destructive competitive principle out of the equation. They have the key to help us be that bit happier.

Actually scratch that. WE have the key, because we have the ballot papers. And half of us are too stupid or greedy to realise what we can do.

the fanciful idea that the ordinary people have a say in how their society is run.

Oh we do have a say. We just are just too stupid to use it properly. Every election time there are surveys asking people what they believe in, and most of us support left wing policies, by a big margin.

wrecker
    Free Member

Actually scratch that. WE have the key, because we have the ballot papers. And half of us are too stupid or greedy to realise what we can do.

Which is?
    You may be overlooking the poor quality of the alternatives.
    FTR, I agree with much of what you’ve said, but the options aren’t as clear cut as portrayed.

yunki
    Free Member

Just like the last lot who said, on leaving, ‘sorry, all the money’s gone’

as I clearly stated.. the lot of them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘worrying times indeed’ is closed to new replies.