Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Worried………
  • tenfoot

I’m in the fortunate position to be able to afford a new bike, after my Dad left me some money after he died.

But, most of my local bike shops have gone road bike mad, and are now only stocking a limited number of decent mountain bikes. As an example, I went into Evans at Lakeside today, and out of, I’d say 70 bikes on show, there were probably only 10 decent mountain bikes, with a few cheaper Joe Bloggs hardtails with the rest being road bikes.

My brother is after a new Trance X2 (650B!!) and has been told that Giant are concentrating on road bike production, so there won’t be one available until February.

How can that be good for the mtb buying public? Clearly the Wiggo effect has boosted Joe Public’s desire to hit the road, but I’m concerned this is at the cost of the rest of us who want mountain bikes. If I can’t go into a shop to try a bike on for size, or compare against it’s closest rival, because it’s not in stock, I can only think this will hinder the sales of mtbs, further.

richpips
    Free Member

Go to another bike shop, surely there are some nearby?

tenfoot

I’d say, I’ve been to 5 in the last few months and they’re all the same.

Just an observation.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

where do you live? Is an area short of decent mtb trails?

richpips
    Free Member

There are more than 5 bike shops within 30 miles of Thurrock.

First world angst laziness.

tenfoot

I live in Kent, so not exactly mtb central to be fair. It’s the comment from the Giant dealer that concerned me the most.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where are you based?

Current problem will be the 2013 stuff has all been made and the 2014 stuff hasn’t. The likes of Giant need to fulfil a heap of orders for the places where summer is coming round and probably the US market. 2014 bikes will be landing here in Oz shortly. This is traditionally the time up north for discounting the old, running stock down and cashing up before getting the 2014 stuff ready.

tenfoot

First world angst, I agree. First world laziness? 2 children to sort out at the weekends, means so far, limited opportunity.

patriotpro
    Free Member

tenfoot – Member
    First world angst, I agree. First world laziness? 2 children to sort out at the weekends, means so far, limited opportunity.

Is this is a rant (moan) or a request for bike suggestions? 2 children to sort out…what do you mean by that FFS?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Online. More bang for your £ and choice.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the giant was only brought to everyones attention end of July, so i suspect a 6 month turnaround is pretty normal to get it in store.

Maybe they are selling more road bikes, its a business after all.

The problem with looking to purchase now, is if you want 2014 your just going to have to wait.

richpips
    Free Member

I have two children, and if anyone is “stuck” with them at the weekend it’s me.

If I was you I’d have a ring round some London stores and take them along on the choo choo with the promise of ice creams etc.

shermer75
    Free Member

Buy a Cotic

Oooooo yeah! 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Worried………’ is closed to new replies.