Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Worn Reba Bushings?
  • fathomer

Last night I discovered a distinct knocking coming from my forks when rocking the bike with the front brake applied. I can feel movement between the fork brace and stanchion when rocking, so I’m pretty sure it’s the bushings.

I was planning on getting them serviced in the new year anyway, but I could do with knowing if continuing to use them will make the problem worse, read more expensive to sort, in the long run?

Thanks.

fathomer

Apologies for bumping but some help would be much appreciated 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

continuing to use them will make the problem worse, read more expensive to sort, in the long run?

Probably not, but get them done ASAP anyway, the difference is amazing.
    TFTuned or LoCo tuning will resize (They probably won’t need replacing as such) the bushes as part of a normal service. You CANNOT do them yourself. 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Is resizing done by knocking the bushing further into the fork?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sort of yes. Not DIYable though.

rickon
    Free Member

Better to get them sorted soon rather than later. Best case scenario is a lack of oil in the lowers, the stanchion relies on a layer of oil between it and the lower. If you have low oil levels this gap will not be filled, and you’ll get a knock.

Best way to check… Turn the bike upside down for 20 minutes or so, then try rocking the fork again. If its gone, chances are you just need to top up the oil.

If not… Bushings are likely worn, and likely your stanchions are too.

Easy to top up the oil yourself if you look about, or just drop them to Loco, he knows his stuff and they’ll feel better than when they were new.

fathomer

Thanks guys, might have to give Loco a buzz after the weekend. Fingers crossed the stanchions aren’t ****!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Best case scenario is a lack of oil in the lowers, the stanchion relies on a layer of oil between it and the lower. If you have low oil levels this gap will not be filled, and you’ll get a knock.

You know there’s only 15ml of oil in there don’t you? Virtually nothing. That said, unless it’s actually been leaking, they’ll probably be fine. I’m a great fan of regular fork oil changes. It’s easy enough to do.

takisawa2

Out of intrest, why is it not a DIY job ?

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, that 15ml is enough 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Worn Reba Bushings?’ is closed to new replies.