Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Worn out bike parts, what do you do with them?
  • jonnyyeti
    Free Member

I am building up a collection of old worn out parts such as chains and cassettes ect. Seems a waste to throw them away but no use on the bike anymore.

What do you guys do with your worn out parts?

BFITH
    Free Member

keep them in box…. you never know…..

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a metal bin.

When it gets full it goes to the recycling. Until then i fish stuff out if i feel like it.

Anything working gets kept just incase.

Does anyone want a shimano 600 deraileur? I have a number to choose from 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Recycle/make art

qwerty
    Free Member

Put them in our recycling bin that the bin men collect.

epicyclo

I used to have a Wall of Woe for broken stuff, but I have moved since – must resurrect it.

Honourably worn out stuff goes to the bin.

But more importantly is all the bike stuff that looked like a good idea when I bought it and then ends up on the shelf – eg just about anything from Crank Bros.

I hang on to it and every now and then build up a bike with every bad idea, crap or obsolete product I can find in my attic.

It is to remind me to control those “Ooh, that looks like a good idea” urges.

Each gets named the Penance Ex Attic. I used to take them to SS events but after doing a Dalby race on a crap bike with set of 10 year old NOS green Michelin Wildfires and frightening myself I have grown wiser.. 🙂

My next one will probably have a 14 speed front ring (yes, front) and an automatic cableless rear derailleur…

nigew
    Free Member

I usually give part worn tyres to the local scrotes that live on the estate near me and anything with a bit of life I save up and give to a local charity that recycles bikes and helps people with past alcohol and drug problems get back into work
    https://happydayscycles.org/home/ in Sowerby Bridge if anyones interested

jekkyl

I have a tub full of worn brake pads… I suppose I think to myself they still have some life in them and there might come a day when I need one BUT I always buy new pads in advance and have never once taken one out of the tub. I do throw away (recycle) old cassettes now but I keep worn chainrings.

DezB
    Free Member

Chains usually go in the box that the new chain came out of and in the bin… but there are a few random chains around my garage, in drawers and boxes. Why? I dunno!
    Need to find a re-‘cycle’ place for tyres really. I ditch them well before they’re dead and leave them hanging up in the garage. (or on the floor if the fall off the hook)

fifeandy
    Free Member

In random bags/boxes in the house/car/shed.
    Never know when a tired old chainring with teeth worn to tiny spikes will come in handy right?

kayla1
    Free Member

OH’s worn chains go on my SS, my knackered chains go in the recycling bin. Spent chainrings are nailed up about the shed. We have a Wall Of Shame for stuff broken through ineptitude/crashing/stupidity…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

metal bin at the tip

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends how worn out it is.

Most stuff goes from the nice bike, to the local/winter/singlespeed bike and then the bin. Cassettes get thrown out when I upgrade to more gears (I rarely wear chains/cassettes to the point they’re completely unusable anymore).

I’m less of a hoarder than I used to be, but I still have crates of stuff that’s far too good to throw away, if I have kids they’re going to inherit some incredibly pimp 26″ bikes!

Yak

I usually take cassettes/chains/chainrings off etc and then put them in a freezer bag and write the mileage/wear on the outside. Y’know, just in case something is needed in a hurry for an already worn-out drivetrain.

Every few years I then dig out lots of these bags, by which time the writing has disappeared, so chuck the lot into metal recycling. It’s the equivalent of the Tupperware box in the fridge system – ie a delayed route to the bin.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I am building up a collection of old worn out parts such as chains and cassettes ect.

Why, they’re worn out, you’ll never use them. Just bin them.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Most bits go in the bin.

Apart from my carbon wheel graveyard wall. It’s designed to make me rethink the thought process that carbon is a good idea when it comes to wheel material on an MTB.

So far its a pretty collection of Enve (x2), Easton, Derby, DT Swiss, Light Bike & Nextie. No discrimination here 8)

benp1

Split cassettes down and use them as ninja stars!

Bez

I harvest any bits that are useful for the spares boxes (like certain bolts, spacers etc) and what’s left goes up the recycling centre.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I hang on to stuff to make things out of.

Chains make nice star Christmas decorations

I made a lamp out of a bent wheel with a cassette as a base.

malgrey
    Free Member

Keep them, obviously, in full knowledge that you will never, ever, get them out of the manky bit of oil clogged filthy kitchen towel that you put them in, at the bottom of a box that only ever receives things, never has them removed.

After all, you never know.

Anyway, things like worn chainrings can make excellent Ninja Stars if (when) there’s ever a zombie apocalypse.

Northwind

I tend to replace things when they’re not quite worn out, so they can be emergency spares, works pretty well. Lots of stuff gets migrated down a bike, my commuter’s currently covered in ex-mtb 9 speed frinstance. Anything really servicable goes to the cycle recycle people and everything else goes in the scrap. (having scrap bins has really helped cut down my hoarding)

Gary_M
    Free Member

After all, you never know.

I do know though, that’s why I stopped keeping rubbish like that a few years ago.

JackHammer

Sell it on here… Muahahahahahahhahaa

Not really. Put it in the recycling after harvesting useful bits off i.e. jockey wheels.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

manky bit of oil clogged filthy kitchen towel

That’s the best bit to save, works great as a firelighter!

cardo

We use them to make awards for most spectacular off and such like at our bike club Xmas doo.. I’d post some pics if I could get into Flickr.

joemmo
    Free Member

really worn out stuff goes in recycling, if its recyclable. Bin if not.
    If its still usable but not needed or no longer compatible with my bikes then it goes to a local charity

http://recyke-y-bike.org/

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I take them to work.

I work for a bike recycling charity.

http://Www.thebikestation.org.uk

🙂

paulhaycraft

I’ve made a few clocks out of old cassettes and wheels.

paulhaycraft

I’ve made a few clocks out of old cassettes and wheels.

srshaw
    Free Member

Yep. Keep them in boxes in the garage. Never know them worn out 90s Alivio stuff will come in. Road bits tend to get recycled downwards between my various bikes, Summer – Winter – Turbo.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Depends what it’s made from. Any aluminium goes in my ‘ally specific’ bin, which also includes ally cans & food trays, it then goes in the back of my car to the scrapyard where I weigh it in. Council get none of my aluminium!

redstripe
    Free Member

Another bike recycling project down south http://www.newforestbikeproject.org , take stuff there, you may think it’s clapped out but some bits might be handy still.

cookeaa

Surely this is the answer…

[video]https://youtu.be/f3HMxB6Op-o[/video]

Northwind

@essex, how much do you usually get for weighing in small stuff like that? I’ve got enough to make it worth doing but I haven’t a clue what to expect

shermer75
    Free Member

@cookeaa the narrater on that video is Ed Kemper and I claim my £5

natrix
    Free Member

Stuff old chains in a jiffy bag and post to folk I don’t like, without any postage on. They then have to pay to get the parcel from the post office only to find its some random cycling junk (again) 👿

PS I’m not really that nasty but I’m often tempted…………….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@essex, how much do you usually get for weighing in small stuff like that? I’ve got enough to make it worth doing but I haven’t a clue what to expect

Hmm..not much tbh. Cans & food trays are worth little as theyr’e cheap grade stuff anyway, may depend on which scrap merchant you use.
    Still, better in my pocket than the councils!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Worn out bike parts, what do you do with them?’ is closed to new replies.