Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Worn Fox Vanilla Stanchion – will it run at less travel OK?
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

So I’ve got some very very cheap vanilla forks, 2002/3 models, running 125mm travel with a big oil leak. Stanchions looked perfect on pics. I’ve just took them apart and there is a significant amount of wear on the left stanchion at the seal level. As I was planning on reducing to 100/80 mm for my 2001 GT Zaskar, and the wear is (just) below 100mm down the stanchion, I wonder if they will be OK as they are?

I’ve used search and I know people have found that they run OK, I just wonder if the stanchion wear will continue despite new seals and the reduced travel. If you’ve done it please let me know how it went – I’ll get the official line from Mojo tomorrow 🙂

Thanks,

Antony

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a set exactly like this. They are on a commuter and are fine – no massive oil leak just a bit on the sanctions but by now massive ( well as few mm) slop in the bushes I reduced the travel as well. If the seals are leaking that badly it might be worth a new set.

Tehy will continue to wear however. Try it and see?

Swalsey
    Free Member

Yeah thanks I intend to try and see. I’m going to look into getting the bushed replaced too, buyt ideally I want to preven further wear

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi, you can run them lower and if the surface in contact with the seals is good shouldn’t leak so much
    The issue will be the wear on the bushes, which will be worn if the stantion have worn through, replacement is obviously possible, but you will get accelerated wear on the bushes and the resultant knocking back again.
    If you want to send a picture over I can assess whether it would be worth changing the bushes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If surface contacting seals/bushings is good, Shirley there’s no issue?

LoCo
    Free Member

If there’s wear there dirt will have got past the seals into the forks and will have worn the bushes, causing a certain amount of ‘slop’.
    The forks move up and down so even if the wear is below the level of the upper bush it will probably make contact with the lower bush again causing wear and slop.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I think I’ll post a picture up of the bushing – it doesnt look or feel worn but I expect there is some wear since the anodising is missing from the stanchion. Mojo have just said to give it a go with new seals at lower travel, and then wait and see. They also said that I could replace the bushes (£25) myself (they only do it as part of the service) if there is a lot of play. I’ll post a picture of the bushes up when I get home later 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Home fork bushing replacement? I’m surprised they said that, it’s a tricky job unless you have the correct tooling.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Hello again,

Here are some pictures to update this – I’m going with Mojo’s advice of trying it, if not then I’ll try replacing bushings…

I’m also changing it’s colour 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

See how you go, judging by the amount of wear I think you may get a bit of movement from the bushes. Any issues give me a shout 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My stanchions have also gone (Fox 90RLs) and it’s only slightly more to get new and decent forks!

Another example of throwaway MTBing!

Listen to LoCo BTW – he knows his stuff and offers decent prices too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aren’t the bushes a fair bit below the seals?

LoCo
    Free Member

The upper bush is just below the foam ring, the lower one sits further down the leg.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK so if you do get play….you are not damaging anything other than the stanchion and perhaps bushing…which are goosed & consumable respectively anyway?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, it’s how much they are knocking and how annoying you find it.

retro83
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    Yes, it’s how much they are knocking and how annoying you find it.

Could having play affect performance? E.g. cause binding when braking

Swalsey
    Free Member

Thanks Loco and SurfMat, I will do 🙂

I’ve just finished the new paint on the lowers, waiting on decals before lacquer – I think I’m more excited about the painting than I am about having suspencion on my HT again!

LoCo
    Free Member

retro 83,
    it could in theory, but didn’t really want to get drawn into a discussion of what could/might/would happen as I have only seen pictures of the forks.

retro83
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    retro 83,
    it could in theory, but didn’t really want to get drawn into a discussion of what could/might/would happen as I have only seen pictures of the forks.

That’s fair enough. It’s just that forks with this problem come up pretty often on ebay. I’m thinking that as long as they’re going to work okay, they’d be good winter/hack bike forks.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Update: I’ve re-built them at 80mm travel with new seals; they have no play and are buttery smooth 🙂 Thanks for all help received. Pictures here:
    Link

takisawa2

My RC40’s are worn very thin at 130mm, but I’ve been running them at 100mm regardless for a few years. Get a bit of oil on the stanchions after a ride but they work nice. They’re coils so sealing probably not so critical.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Worn Fox Vanilla Stanchion – will it run at less travel OK?’ is closed to new replies.