Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Worn drop outs on Scott Genius MC10
  • gazzzab
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a 2005 Scott Genius MC10 (Large). The rear wheel drop outs, part of the seat stays, have become very worn and the wheel no longer sits square in the frame. I have tried to get a new set of seat stays from Scott UK, via my local Scott deal, but they say that they no longer have spares for this bike. It looks like my only option will be to find an old cheap bike that I cannibalise for spares. I am not sure that the seat stays are repairable as they are aluminium and tolerances to get the wheel sitting square and secure are very small.
    Anyone out there got any other ideas?????
    Cheers
    Gazza B

wwaswas

get them squared off using a facing tool and then run shims/washers on the axle?

Speshpaul

Bond some tube in to the drop out, cut it flush either side of the DPs and run a 10mm through axle.

tjagain

get a line of weld run round the dropout then file it down to the correct size

gazzzab
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a friend in an engineering firm who does deal with welded aluminium and will have a chat with him about “rebuilding” the drop outs.

gazzzab
    Free Member

The welding has worked, although I haven’t ridden the bike in “anger” yet. the rear wheel now sits almost perfectly in the middle of the frame. I did have to add some shims to the brake to get the disc in the middle. Looking forward to the first ride tomorrow, fingers crossed 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I missed this the first time round – I have seatstays from a Genius RC10 sitting in the garage. They’re probably not the right size, and in any case they’re broken (replaced with a new set), but the dropouts are fine and I presume the same as on a MC10. Just in case what you have doesn’t work out and replacing the dropouts is an option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Worn drop outs on Scott Genius MC10’ is closed to new replies.