Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • worn chain advice
  • dobo
    Free Member

just used a chain wear tool for first time and discovered the tool easily slots in using the 1.0 side so guess i need a new chain.

i'm using it with an xt cassette which doesnt currently have any issues shifting or sliping so should i leave it in this combo until i get chain slip risking wearing the rings and cassette? or change now though i may have done 500+ miles over 1.0, putting new chain on may introduce slipage?

this all seems a bit too hit and miss as bike maintenance is usually black and white.

Are there any strict rules or certainties that you shop mechanics use?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

At 1% worn you have almost certainly worn the cassette and thus a new chain on the old cassette will slip. You might have worn the chain rings out or might not.

I'd be tempted to ride that drivetrain into the ground now.

devs
    Free Member

Me too. Ride till it dies but if you have a powerlink in there I would replace it with a newer one. I have learned this from bloody experience.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spud

I ended up with a complete new drivetrain!

Onzadog
    Free Member

if you catch it between 0.075 and o.1 then you'll be okay with a new chain and the old cassette, I've done this loads of times. Once you're past 0.1, it's new chain and cassette and maybe new rings. As above, now you're there, ride it to destruction.

dobo
    Free Member

just had a closer inspection

there is signs of wear on the outer ring (slight wave shape saw toothing), i use 40/28 double on xc bike, inner ring looks ok

the lower jokey wheel is also worn, its not a shuriken star but half way there (it should last a while though)

however the cassette doesnt show the same sign of wear as the 40t ring. do cassettes get the same wave shape wear as chain rings or do they wear evenly on both sides? (does this make sense to anyone?)

Andy-W
    Free Member

My chain has just got to the 1.0 mark so fitted a new chain and it was slipping not all the time but just from time to time while going up steep climbs

I am not sure whats worn the cassette, the chain rings or all the lot

The other week when it was only on 0.7 i fitted a new rear cassette and that was making all sorts of noises so I knew the chain was on its way out ,, I took it back off and popped the old one back on and its running sweet again

Fitting a new poweelink sounds like the only money i will spend on it untill its all ready for the bin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘worn chain advice’ is closed to new replies.