Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Worldpay….name me some alternatives
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Afternoon kids,

I’m looking for a facility to take card payments physically ie inserting a customers card and over the phone.

Worldpay keeps cropping up, but do you folks know of any alternatives? I assume people like Paypal et al must have equivalents? before i launch into a full on google search i thought i’d ask you kind folk!

Ta in advance.

toby1

Are you talking about POS (point of sale) providers for a shop? Or for a website or both?

Worldpay are a massive provider of the service.

Some banks will also provide this. Also The internet is full of opinion

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    user-removed
    Free Member

iZettle are very good and I got a free card reader – may have been a limited offer but worth a check.

BillMC

Paysafe?

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Cheers folks, it’s for a small business who want to take card payments from customers who call in and who wish to pay over the phone.

zippykona

You need to check the transaction fees.
    We managed to haggle a reasonable rate out of world pay. Have had cold callers come in the shop guaranteeing to beat whatever deal we have and fail.
    Lots of alternative companies are world pay when you start digging.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

+1 for worldpay here. Their rates are competitive and if you’re going to be using it enough it’s better to pay £20-£30 a month for the facility than just pay a silly fee like 4% that paypal/izettle et al want to charge, mainly because they’ll give anyone a card facility so the fees go into a big chargeback fund.

julesf7
    Free Member

Ugh, I run a small business (B&B) and we went with WorldPay for the first contract..useless, never again. The card machine was sent out without required accessories, it needed to be replaced twice during the 18 month contract and, in general, their customer service was appalling. Now with Barclaycard who have been much better indeed.

In summary, I’d tend to argue that the rates will be competitive from all the major companies, you will have a little room to haggle. Keep an eye out for settlement times that they offer you at the start if you don’t have fully audited accounts to prove cashflow.

That said, there are a number of smaller fish in the pond who may be able to offer more innovative services and gateways depending on your specific needs. Here it is important to understand the difference between the provision of merchant services and the payment gateway, they don’t necessarily have to be the same actor. In fact, this is where WorldPay have taken their eye off the game; they are, IIRC, the largest merchant services provider in Europe, but rely on businesses renting the card machine from them because they think they have to be linked.

boblo
    Free Member

Try Sagepay. Worldpay are dire. I’ve worked with them a couple of tim especially and even from 3 meters away, it was almost impossible to get anything done.

demonracer

I used to use World Pay but recently changed to Payment Sense as their fees were around half what I was being charged, I Also ended up with Bluetooth card machines rather than the plug in type I had before.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Worldpay….name me some alternatives’ is closed to new replies.