Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • World land speed record.
  • matt_outandabout

Sail powered that is – Yay for a UK team

And for those who want to re-create it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/bluepeter/central/thingstodo/makeit/greenbirdcar

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

126.1mph….Wind powered?

Holy crap! That’s awesome!

matt_outandabout

They are targeting 150+ on ice!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

People playing with sailing craft are excellent, look at this Youtube video for a sailboat out of the water on hydrofoils. Looks very cool and a bit spooky…

marsdenman
    Free Member

bet it’ll go faster with a diffuser on the back ……..
    or, is that against the rules…… 😆

<collects coat and heads to the door>

Junkyard
    Free Member

uk entirely wind powered electricity and no dearer than the main supplier in your area

go here for info

flamejob
    Free Member

errr… Junkyard; check that link!

flamejob
    Free Member

matt_outandabout that first vid is amazing.. I want to go sailing now!

aracer
    Free Member

On second thoughts don’t bother given it’s totally irrelevant to this thread anyway (though I’m wondering – do your lights go out when there is no wind in the UK?)

matt_outandabout that first vid is amazing.. I want to go sailing now!

That kiteboarder was so pwned!

Here’s one of a windsurfer on a foil:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hydroptere! I want a go on that. NOW!

Matt, that one of Bossard creaming past the kiteboard is awesome! Like the wake action at the end as well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUYKhyzDjAE – Wake behind a big mono!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EIktmUMSR8 – I’ve taken to Darts in a big way. Solo in a 16 on the harness rocks!

matt_outandabout

I am hoping with the new location, and work having their own harbour…to save up for a multihull – old Dart 18 / Prindle 18-2 / Hobie 18 8)

Wind-power is amazing.

What I find brilliant about the big multihulls is that they may not be the ultimate fastest – but they can do 30+ knots in big seas, day after day…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I love the foil creations, but they seem that they’d be pretty dull to ride – very smooth, just fast. From a kitesurfers point of view flat and fast is as dull as hell, usually used for practicing stuff you want to do when its proper waves. I remember doing a bit of windsurfing and really enjoying just flying along in a straight line but with kiting it just doesnt seem the same somehow. Of course there’s hydrofoil kiteboards too but they too appear dull. I might have to knock one up to see what the fuss is about, drag out my old board building kit again!

Junkyard
    Free Member

oops , well spotted and sorry

the lights dont go out in the house but looks like mine might 🙁

the right link

zaskar
    Free Member

Woohoo! 😀

aracer
    Free Member

coffeeking – as a kiteboarder you’re just feigning indifference to speed because the kiteboarders got so thoroughly pwned 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

feigning indifference to speed because the kiteboarders got so thoroughly pwned

Yup, that’ll be it 😆

…nothing at all to do with trading it for effortlessly jumping twice the mast height of a windsurfer, actually being able to pull off tricks without having 10 years experience etc 🙂 (You may notice I didn’t take to windsurfing very well! 🙂 ).

In all honesty I just dont enjoy going fast, but windsurfing does have the speed advantage!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘World land speed record.’ is closed to new replies.