• This topic has 171 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 12 posts - 161 through 172 (of 172 total)
  • World gone mad?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

And while it’s been fun chatting, I’m off to bed now. Night night.

nealglover
    Free Member

There are far more important things in the world to get worked up about

It’s possible to disapprove of this sort of behaviour, and at the same time care about other things. (That are more important in your opinion)

It’s not one thing at a time.

Or do you think the entire media should focus one one massive issue at a time, and ignore everything else that isn’t as important?

grum
    Free Member

That’s the second time you’ve tried to attribute me with saying things I didn’t say. Please stop.

Hmm, attributing you with things you didn’t say….

Or in the case of a lot of the folk tweeting, being desperate to be publicly seen to being outraged.

It’s a bit like imagining people’s motivations for things and then criticising them for them isn’t it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

The final word on the use of “girl” straight from the horses mouth as it were (where those with the most important opinion are presumably female cricket journalists)
    “A bit of a girl’s night out” – Alison Mitchell just now on TMS

nealglover
    Free Member

Maybe she’s taking her under 12 female children out for the evening ?

Or maybe sometimes people get in a froth without really thinking it through very well 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Well she did specify that it was an evening out with a couple of other female cricket journalists (I presume they were adults), and the comment was closely followed by her making some very good points about the Gayle incident. She considered that to be unacceptable and suggested that she’d heard the comments made the journalist involved feel uncomfortable (one of her “girl” companions had been in direct contact). Which should also be enough said for anybody grown up enough to accept that the opinion of the women most directly involved might be more valuable than their own.

nealglover
    Free Member

So to answer the OP’s title question then…

No.

LeeW

Fug it CBA.

zokes
    Free Member

@MWS: And yet, being a government minister and calling a journalist* a mad **** witch seems to matter not one iota by comparison

*I say journalist, she’s one of Murdoch’s sycophants

mikewsmith
    Free Member

zokes 2 very different things, especially as the Journalist doesn’t reall seem bothered and in reality it was a comment that was sent to the wrong person after they had just got a kicking in the press.

zokes
    Free Member

Not really. It’s the attitude behind the actions of Gayle and dun-nuttin-Dutton that’s the issue here, not the comments themselves. The reason there should be far more of a furore about Dutton is because he’s a senior cabinet minister who seems to think it’s OK to refer to women as mad **** witches, same as his ex-boss thought it was great to stand in front of a huge banner calling Gillard a witch.

A sportsperson being a lethario is one thing, the misogyny that bubbles under a significant portion of the government is quite another.

Viewing 12 posts - 161 through 172 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘World gone mad?’ is closed to new replies.