Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • World CX Championships – live now
  • ninfan
    Free Member

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) confirms that pursuant to the UCI’s Regulations on technological fraud a bike has been detained for further investigation following checks at the Women’s Under 23 race of the 2016 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships. This does not concern any of the riders on the podium. Further details will be shared in due course.

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-174751/

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I love the fact someone at the start said words to the effect of “not sure people will log on to watch Women’s U23”! IT was set to the one of the MOST exciting and competitive races more than any other, amazingly it wasn’t but it was fine as Evie RICHARDS SMASHED IT in her first International race I mean WTF!! I watched her at the Nationals and just WOW

That women’s Elite race I think my HR was 180+ especially as Harris took the race on and at one point looked like she had a commanding lead. Amazing how the smallest of technical errors and you can be seriously reeled back in!!

Phenomenal racing 4 GB women in the top 15 U23 in the Worlds…that is just awesome.

I hope the Elite men’s tomorrow is as exciting but I’m afraid to say I don’t think it will be!!!

irelanst
    Free Member

With all due respect to U23 womens ‘cross, if people are using motors there, what on earth are Tinkoff-Saxo / Astana doing when the stakes (money) is higher?

cyclistm
    Free Member

I’m hoping it’s a one off, but if the technology is available and being used, despite the tests*, at this level then I’m concerned for the sport as whole,
    * presumably her and her mechanic thought they wouldn’t get caught?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

With all due respect to U23 womens ‘cross, if people are using motors there, what on earth are Tinkoff-Saxo / Astana doing when the stakes (money) is higher?

the risk of getting caught is higher as UCI have been examining and X-raying Pro Tour bikes since 2010 and

I’m hoping it’s a one off, but if the technology is available and being used, despite the tests*, at this level then I’m concerned for the sport as whole,
    * presumably her and her mechanic thought they wouldn’t get caught?

maybe at a lower level they believe there will be less testing? Look at British Juniors and Masters getting popped for EPO and steroids

British cycling stunned after junior TT champion and masters road race winner guilty of doping

every man on the street has heard of EPO, but people racing at lower levels don’t expect to be monitored and tested as stringently?

crazy-legs

I’m hoping it’s a one off, but if the technology is available and being used, despite the tests*, at this level then I’m concerned for the sport as whole

No-one yet seems really sure it was actually a motor. It would be relatively easy to conceal a small motor with a tiny battery (long enough to last 30 mins or so in a CX race) and the relative noise of the crowd, the noise of the bike over rough terrain and the fact that the whole thing will be covered in mud enough to disguise it and in a technical race like that it could make a significant difference.

But in a 5hr road stage where conditions are completely different, where a rider is in amongst a peloton and tactics play a bigger part I think it’d be more trouble than it’s worth. Battery wouldn’t last long enough for it to be worthwhile, it would be much more difficult to hide the noise, you’d have to be very clever with bike changes…

irelanst
    Free Member

But in a 5hr road stage where conditions are completely different, where a rider is in amongst a peloton and tactics play a bigger part I think it’d be more trouble than it’s worth. Battery wouldn’t last long enough for it to be worthwhile

You wouldn’t need 5hrs, an extra 50w for 5 mins up the Cauberg could win you a rainbow jersey (for example).

xyeti
    Free Member

The battery may be powered by a Dynamo type charging system or even Solar?

aracer
    Free Member

I presume you’re referring to my comments, and to be fair I suggested I wasn’t expecting people to be avoiding the results of the U23 race to watch it later – most people in the local club she belongs to were watching it live (quite a few out in Belgium), and plenty of spoilers posted on the club FB page! I certainly wasn’t suggesting it wasn’t likely to be exciting, simply that I expected the interest to be somewhat limited.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Is the men’s race 2pm UK time?

benji
    Free Member

Yes it is, 2pm for the Elite men’s race.

Seamus
    Free Member

Of course those pesky eastern Europeans are bound to be cheating 🙄

bikebouy
    Free Member

Great Womens Elite race, had me gripped when Nikki went off the front, some really good skills and thinking tactics in what was a difficult course.

Great overall result I reckon.

Klunk
    Free Member

cruel but I had to laugh 🙂

crazy-legs

Nailbiting stuff this U23 Men’s race!

crazy-legs

I feel so sorry for that poor Czech rider, what must he be thinking right now?!

scaredypants

oh dear 🙁

I suppose he might not have had the same advantage if he had raced the extra lap but the last half mile of “his” finishing lap was impressive

hjghg5
    Free Member

Poor lad. The Belgian crowd did laugh a bit though…

cchris2lou

What time is men race?

crazy-legs

Youtube stream starts at 1.50pm, race starts at 2pm. 45 minutes time.

cchris2lou

thanks , should be a good one .

crazy-legs

Crowd going wild as Sven Nys finally gets on terms with the front group. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Brilliant race so far

crazy-legs

Jack Clarkson has withdrawn, he had a crash on one of the descents. Think Liam Killeen is somewhere around about 40th at the moment.

Markie
    Free Member

What did the fans do to the Dutch guy? The commentators kept mentioning it, but I didn’t see anything…

rOcKeTdOg

Threw beer in his face mostly

What a finish!

Klunk
    Free Member

cracking race.

DenDennis
    Free Member

cracking finish, shame for VDH, didnt have the running legs on that final hill. Incredible bike handling, He was taking some of those descents like he was on a full-on MTB!

Markie
    Free Member

Thank you. Yes, great race!

aracer
    Free Member

Incredible. Particularly impressive for Van Aert given how much he got held up by somebody sticking a foot in his spokes. I think the beer throwing is pretty much par for the course for Belgian cross races, so they’re probably used to it – which doesn’t make it right. Though looking on the plus side for VdH, he’s got a head start on the post race beer drinking 😉

dovebiker

Those that run MTB races take note….how to make a bike race spectator friendly

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Cracking race,I hope they get to make CX an Olympic event.

Klunk
    Free Member

Cracking race,I hope they get to make CX an Olympic event.

with lots for your starting position.

benji
    Free Member

Well what a pair of races, simply map biting the pair of them. Impressed with the strength of a zipp wheel, thought they had both blown their chances at that point. What happens to M van der Poel being in 3rd and then coming in fifth, did he have an off or a slight mechanical?

rOcKeTdOg

i think he blew up from the all out effort to get back on

dirtyrider
    Free Member

mad descending skills at the end, shame he didn’t get the win, that pass was class

Rorschach
    Free Member

Those that run MTB races take note….how to make a bike race spectator friendly

It could have been 200 miles from civilization,at an undisclosed time,on an island with no ferry and guarded by machine gun wielding ex-traffic wardens.
    50,000 half cut Belgians would still have turned up 2 days early and proceeded to have the biggest party ever.It’s in their DNA.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Sitting in Brussels airport. Haven’t quite dried off from yesterday yet alone today but that was great.

The party sounded like it was only just getting going when we left. There were some very happy Belgians at the end!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody great weekend..

Totally enjoyed the Women’s race, such a great effort by Helen and how she carries on is quite beyond me 8)

Then the Men’s race, just awesome to see Sven on the front for a lap, but my hope was for Lars to do it. He looked totally cooked on that last flat before the drop, but he still managed to chase hard on the finish straight.
    But a great win in the end.

Awesome.

CX is awesome.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘World CX Championships – live now’ is closed to new replies.