Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • World Cup DH Riders / Rumours 2017
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Yeah, but he is going to have a year on the lash, though, isn’t he?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Yeah, but he is going to have a year on the lash, though, isn’t he?

Yup. He’ll spend a year (if not more) dicking about, being silly and making 50:01 vids (I assume that he’ll still get free bikes from SC as a brand ambassador so something).

plecostomus
    Free Member

See I was right all along! Just goes to show that making videos of you playing around in the woods can make you more ££ than having a top 20 at a World Cup. Sponsorship is all about selling product at the end of the day. And what do we all do most of the time? Ride our bikes in the woods as it’s fun. Exactly what josh will now be doing and we will buy product as a result of it

P-Jay
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

I reckon see what a year off does for him, sometimes you just need to step back.

Agreed, it isn’t F1 (thankfully) they’re not a bunch of robots groomed from near birth to be WC Racers with trainers and phycologists managing mind and body to produce a winning machine, they’re real human beings. A year away from the race circuit, still riding, still progressing might do him good – he may come back in 2018 ready to tear a hole in the rest of the field, he may never grace a WC race again.

As has been said time and again, you don’t have to be on the podium every race to make a living from it. Peaty didn’t worry the stop step for years, Rob Warner is still a sponsored rider – if Rat Boy can earn enough from making videos and racing the odd Enduro and Crankworkx to keep him in drift cars and narrow boats – good on him.

Personally I’ll miss him and The Syndicate Web Series a lot, sometimes I enjoyed it more than the race – even if Peaty takes over or works with Cathy (I’ve heard rumour of it) on the management side of things it won’t be the same – the Ratboy episode in Whistler (or was that when it was This Is Peaty?) still makes me laugh now.

fifeandy
    Free Member

and we will buy product as a result of it

That’s a highly depressing thought.

chakaping
    Free Member

SC have done a brilliant job of announcing what we already knew in their promo vid…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP61_rR_2fA[/video]

Priceless.

😀

MSP

Love that vid, and great to see peaty and ratboy still involved.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not to mention the other special guest (no spoilers folks!).

Related thought – was Ratboy just worried he’d test positive for psilocybin if he kept racing?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rumours of Brosnan, Ruaraidh and Wallace as the new canyon dh team…..

spawnofyorkshire

[/url]
    Miranda Miller on specialized gravity alongside bruni and Ilses

Good to see her on a good ride and will be at all the rounds plus some ews.

Spesh on full ohlins setup now as well

sharkattack

This looks like my next DH bike. Can’t wait to see the 2018 production version, I’ll be due for one by then.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That is stunning.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Love the syndicate vid

fifeandy – Member

and we will buy product as a result of it

That’s a highly depressing thought.[/quote]
    Honestly in a world of marketing, endless drivel about numbers and clicks or rebound it’s good to see that these guys mostly just love riding bikes.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Glad to see Luca Shaw on Syndicate this year. Showed a lot of promise last few years and has time on a V10 already.

I assume Peaty will be hanging around in a mentoring capacity and by just being Mr Downhill continue to bring exposure to Santa Cruz.

Slightly disappointing that there isn’t a female rider on the roster still. There has to be a woman rider in the top 10-15 of the rankings that’s crazy enough to fit in with the rest of the Rat Pack. Just need someone with potential to develop and get top 10 results. Ok most of the coverage is skewed to the top 5 because of Atherton’s dominance but with the I’m sure there must be other women DH racers with the potential to trouble the top 5 if they had the opportunity to train to a similar level to Rachel.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Looking down the list Tracey isn’t going anywhere without Mick, the French girls all seem happy where they are and Miranda Miller just went to specialized which will be great for them. I’m guessing there are not as many to pick from and the Syndicate is doing the “not a trade team” they don’t need/get points from having a mixed team.

plecostomus
    Free Member

See I was right again about Santa Cruz!

chrismac

Perhaps its just me but I thought that SC team launch video was absolutely awful. Absolute dross that just made we wonder if the 2 new boys realised this is what they signed up for. To be honest the SC syndicate ‘image’ is enough to make sure I never buy one of their bikes

P-Jay
    Free Member

chrismac – Member

Perhaps its just me but I thought that SC team launch video was absolutely awful. Absolute dross that just made we wonder if the 2 new boys realised this is what they signed up for. To be honest the SC syndicate ‘image’ is enough to make sure I never buy one of their bikes

You may be onto something… 😉

Anyway, corporate marketing responsibilities aside – he’s a ride on one of the most successful teams in the paddock, on one of, if not THE most successful bikes ever, a chance to be mentored by the most successful WC racer ever, and the second most successful WC racer ever.

It (probably) comes with a place on the most successful Team Web Series which will give you better profile than even the Marketing Dream Team that is The Athertons, which is how you make a living when you ride mountain bikes for a living.

Yeah, I’d wonder what I signed up for too, after-all the Syndicate is known for being shy and secretive – it must have been a bit of a leap into the unknown…

acidtest
    Free Member

lol

antares
    Free Member

lol +1

thepodge
    Free Member

They should have just shown the guys riding bikes, would have been a better vid all round.

sharkattack

It’s a good job the buzzkills of STW don’t work in the Syndicate’s marketing department.

56,000 views in less than 24 hours.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I thought the video was alright – certainly more interesting than a generic press release. Given how the Syndicate is marketed, it was never going to be particularly po-faced.

Given the number of SC bikes out there, the marketing so far hasn’t been detrimental.

Loving the blue Demo – looks like I might need to raid piggy bank for some Ohlins forks to match my shock!

dannyh
    Free Member

I bet the outtakes reel from the Peaty as Gunny Hartman scene runs to hours.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    They should have just shown the guys riding bikes, would have been a better vid all round.

What exactly like every other video out there of a guy in a full face whip, drift, whip, jump, foot out corner repeat to fade.
    There will be loads of riding vids and hopefully plenty of syndicate ones where you can actually hear what the guys have to say. The last few years have been really insightful as to how the guys tick and race and has only increased their profiles.
    Cooking with Greg and Josh was just brilliant – reminds me of so many race weekends

thepodge
    Free Member

Maybe Steve “wooden” Peat should take some acting lessons in his retirement if this is the way their promo is going.

warpcow
    Free Member

So, the big question is does chrismac like the Canyon Team vid?

chakaping
    Free Member

Mullaly to YT, nice.
    https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/neko-mulally-joins-yt-mob.html

Insert your chainless gang gags here…

dannyh
    Free Member

I think Brook Macdonald is not racing DH next year, which is a shame. For some reason I love his charging bull approach, elbows out, pushing the bike to its limits.

Should be a good year, I would love to see Loic Bruni and Danny Hart going head to head, pushing the sport to a new level – which I genuinely think they can.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘World Cup DH Riders / Rumours 2017’ is closed to new replies.