Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • World AIDS day December 1 st 2013
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.worldaidsday.org/about-world-aids-day.php

“Why is World AIDS Day important?”

“Around 100,000 are currently living with HIV in the UK and globally an estimated 34 million people have HIV. More than 25 million people between 1981 and 2007 have died from the virus, making it one of the most destructive pandemics in history.”

Perhaps because AIDS is caught from sexual practices, sharing needles and bodily fluids contacts, it doesnt get the same media attention as cancer does,how many people do you know who have had or recovered from a Cancer.
    Then how many people do you know who are HIV positive, eg living with Aids.

So lets have an adult discussion.

Drac

Cancer effects far more the HIV that’s why I hear and see more of it daily.

Around 325,000 people were diagnosed with cancer in 2010 in the UK, that’s around 890 people every day.

Spin
    Free Member

I think the real reason it’s fallen off the radar in the UK is because of the effectiveness of antiretrovirals. That and the fact that for those in stable monogamous relationships it isn’t really an issue whereas cancer can strike anyone.

Still obviously a massive problem in Africa but inroads starting to be made there too.

jodafett

My Auntie was diagnosed with lung cancer last year, she died two months later leaving behind two teenage boys. A mate of mine caught HIV 8 years ago and has a good chance of living longer than me (his words, not mine). Both diseases need funding but one of them needs a certain religion to take responsibility.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve known two people with HIV – one alive (homosexual infection) one now dead (drug use infection, non aids related drug death)

IMO, british society doesn’t really want an adult discussion on it – to do so would involve discussions that would quickly turn into an argument about not only homosexuality, but also about race, immigration and the position of women in ‘black african’ society

If you want an eye opening point for discussion, have a look at the societal studies into ‘dry sex’ 😯

maccruiskeen

Cancer effects far more the HIV that’s why I hear and see more of it daily.

True but there are opportunities that exist with HIV that don’t with Cancer – We can hope to cure HIV and we can hope to cure cancer – but theres an opportunity beyond cure. While we can make further steps to treat and cure cancer there no prospect that we can simply make cancer go away.

Ms Maccruiskeen’s brother in law has his sights set beyond a cure for HIV – his efforts focus on strategies for eradicating it. Because as welcome as a cure will be, cures, where they exist, are only available to people who can afford them.

kimbers

a friends wife is HIV+, caught from her ex who was shagging around.

obviously she told him upfront but he was happy to marry her, and I respect both of them for their attitudes

modern drugs means she should live a normal long life, tho hes had the odd scary moment when a johhny has split! they were also trying to conceive through IVF for a while but ended up adopting

A disease we should hopefully see the back of within the next few decades

project
    Free Member

obviously she told him upfront but he was happy to marry her, and I respect both of them for their attitudes

Well done that man. and his wife.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘World AIDS day December 1 st 2013’ is closed to new replies.