Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Workshop lighting
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’m nearing completion of my workshop so I’m starting to think of lighting. It has little or no natural light. I had thought of just hanging 3 x fluorescent tubes but wondered if these are a bit outdated now and maybe there are better options out there.

For what it is worth it is timber construction, 5m x 3m and 2.75m high ceiling. I’m in SW France so warm most of the time but does get cold in winter.

Thank you.

spooky_b329

LED battens (strip lights). And don’t hang them all down the middle, if you have work benches, stick them on the wall/ceiling over the bench to avoid working in shadow.

porter_jamie

led battens from screwfix. much much better than fluro

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

LED battens it is then, thank you.

Do I need anything else, other than the battens themselves? A transformer maybe?

rajboab
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat in my garage.
    Got a flouro tube over the bike area.

Currently got a 60W bulb over the bench area!

Was debating standard tube, LED tube or LED lighting Panel.

spooky_b329

Nothing else apart from the usual cable/switches/junction boxes/trunking. They take a 230v supply.

Doh1Nut

If you have a main work bench then get a shelf above it and mount a strip of LEDs under the shelf, gives good task lighting to what you are working on and you dont block the light if you bend forward.

I need to improve on my main garage lighting which is three 21w florescent spirals, it needs to be cheap as it is non-permenant. I am thinking of getting some adaptors to fit two GU10 lamps in the ES24 holders. – will not be pretty but the rustic / shonky look fits in with the rest of the garage.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another vote for led battens. I’ve got 4 cheap eBay specials and the light is brilliant. Plan was to put these in the middle then local task lighting but I haven’t got round to fitting the task lighting yet and haven’t missed it. I put a better quality batten from tlc in my other shed. It was more expensive but noticeably better build quality. Light output is similar though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Workshop lighting’ is closed to new replies.