• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Works Components Angleset on a Mk2 Nomad. Creaky nightmare or great investment?
  • andymc06
    Free Member

Looking at making my Nomad slacker and I’m considering a Works Components to knock 2 degrees off the head angle. Anyone any experiences? Read a few horror stories (mainly about the cane creek ones). Setting up the Nomad to be more gravity based and love the way the Capra rides with a 65.5 h/a. Are the works ones fit and forget?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I had a works one on my dh bike and it was fit and forget.

andymc06
    Free Member

Any particular set up issues Dan or just put it in straight?

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple on my bikes and no issues. Completely different design to CC ones (no moving parts where there shouldn’t be). My LBS fitted mine but said it just required a tiny bit more patience than usual.

ddmonkey

I’ve got the reach extending type, very good quality no issues so far.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

No issues. I installed mine the usual way (wood and hammer) and got it in straight enough by eye.

breninbeener

Got a -2 on my gyro and i love it.

my lbs fitted it and said it was quite a challenge!

andymc06
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a – 2. Will let you know how I get on in due course.

Northwind

I’ve had 3 in assorted frames, the only thing that can make fitting really tricky is that some headset tools will tend to rotate the cups as you fit them. So a hammer worked better, or some un-rotatey tool (big vice, press, etc) would be grand

granny_ring

Yes a press makes the cups rotate, careful hammering with a block of wood is what’s needed.
    Although I’ve not tried the vice option, yet…….

duir
    Free Member

I have a 1.5 degree one in my Nicolai to change the head angle from 66.5 to 65 degrees. I got the local bike shop to fit it as it looked really tricky. The mechanic confirmed it was a pain to fit but other than that it has been completely fit and forget. No bearing issues, very well made and looks nice considering it is not a zero stack headset. Best of all is a fraction of the price of the Cane Creek one and never creaks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Putting two and two together, is this the one I’ve just been asked to fit? 🙂

andymc06
    Free Member

Slowest reply ever……. Yes it is Peter 🙂

nowthen
    Free Member

I have the 1.5 deg in my mk2 Nomad C. Absolutely no problems at all, although even at 1.5 deg the steering is a bit floppy so 2.0 deg might be “interesting”

Fitting was easy, all you have to do is put the cups in the freezer for a day or two, then they almost slide in by hand and a few light taps of the mallet, far easier than trying to press them in straight with a headset press.

andymc06
    Free Member

Quick update. -2° headset fitted perfectly by Peter Poddy. Bike feels great. Took a little getting used to on fast bermed descents but once I changed body position slightly it was ace. Very confidence inspiring on the downs and no perceptible handling issues climbing or on the flat. All in all a decent update for a frame with older geometry.

MSP

The first bottom bearing on mine lasted about 1000 km before it died, the second one has done about the same and seems ok, but I don’t think the standard bearings are particularly good quality and would prefer another option than the standard bearings for replacement.

Mine was fitted by a bike shop, I decided I didn’t have the finesse or patience to fit it properly myself.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Works Components Angleset on a Mk2 Nomad. Creaky nightmare or great investment?’ is closed to new replies.