• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Works Anglesets..
  • stevied
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of them? I’ve used offset bushes in the past with decent results but looking into these as another option.
    Do they have an effect on BB height etc or is it just the head angle that changes?

bencooper
    Free Member

Just head angle directly, though theoretically slackening the head angle with the same length fork will drop the BB a fraction. I used a couple on this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uA45fu]Untitled[/url] by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

Worked beautifully.

warpcow
    Free Member

BB drops a tiny amount and seattube angle gets slightly steeper too. Not to any degree that you notice them as much as the change in head-angle.

They’re excellent. I’ve hade them on two bikes now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gravity-slave
    Free Member

Brilliant kit. Just used one plus two bushings to update my old DH bike. Unfortunately there’s no way to lengthen the top tube, but the bike was lots better slacker.

As well as fractional change on bb height and seat tube, the stem is lifted slightly and bars rolled back a touch. All minor compared to the slackness.

duir
    Free Member

I have been very impressed with my works angleset, it is very well engineered but has a lovely understated look. They are not much different in price to say a hope headset but massively cheaper than a Cane Creek Angleset. There will be almost no effect on BB height but they will fractionally reduce the reach depending on how much offset you go for. I found the bottom bearing was fairly shot after about 12 months of use, that must be an angleset issue as I usually get years and years out of normal headsets. Replacement bearing set top and bottom is about £10 I think so no big deal. Make sure you have enough steerer length as the top bearing sits out by a cm+ to accommodate.

Unless you are a mechanical genius get a pro to fit it, they are a complete git to get exactly central!

bruneep

I was looking at this yesterday.

“Hijack time”

anyone got a 1.0 Degree EC34 ‘Traditional’ 1 1/8″ Fitment. set 4 available? before I buy one.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ve got a -1 Works headset in my Orange Alpine as well as offset bushings as I liked the slacker bike but felt the bushings didn’t make it slack enough for me. It’s been abused for the last 6 months and not had any problems. Will happily use them again in the future. It’s taken my BB down to 340mm which is the same as a Nomad and I’m happy with that.

Tom KP

Northwind

I’ve had them in a couple of bikes, brilliant kit. The one in my Hemlock basically kept me riding it for years when I would have replaced it, hard to top value like that really.

For some reason mine go through top headset bearings quite fast- I’ve a feeling they let water pool on top of the seals or something. Only bikes I’ve ever had that go through top bearings faster than bottom. But that’s trivial considering what they do for the bike and they do use standard cane creek bearings so cheap and easy to replace.

woodster

Got mine in a sale and it took ages to arrive which was frustrating, but it was worth the wait. Brilliant bit of kit, very well made and it’s nice not to have the clearance issues, soft metal and slackened seat angle of offset bushes.

BoomBip

The one in my Hemlock basically kept me riding it for years when I would have replaced it

Yep, I’d say it’ll be at least 2 extra years out of my tiny-wheeled Trek EX8 when I finally replace it. Really good and effective bit of kit.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Unless you are a mechanical genius get a pro to fit it, they are a complete git to get exactly central!

I think that’s overstating it a bit, they’re not that much harder than installing a normal headset if you like the logos to line up.

roverpig

I used some in an older (2006) Five frame. Only kept the frame for a few months (before getting seduced by a 2013 frame at a good price) but no complaints. I just pushed mine in roughly straight and all seemed to be fine. I may have just got lucky and got them bang on by chance, but it seems more likely that they are (or, at least, I am) not that sensitive to a few degrees here or there on the alignment.

eulach

All good here. Bit of extra care needed when fitting to keep everything lined up.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Fitted mine with a weight, a piece of string, a block of wood and a rubber mallet. Just take the time to get it all lined up correctly before you start whacking I mean tapping it in

Tom kp

stevied
    Free Member

Cool, sounds like it’ll do what I want. Thanks chaps 🙂

Northwind

duir – Member

Not my finding tbh, it’s really just a little more care/faff than normal. My headset press twists the cups in the frame unfortunately (this is annoying for logos too) so I just used the universal adaptor

If you’re worried it might be too hard… Bear in mind that immediately after succesfully fitting the headset, I did this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ardXir]OH GOD[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

So apparently the bar is not very high

nikk
    Free Member

apparently the bar is not very high

Quite. The way you put that together, the bars are very low indeed…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Works Anglesets..’ is closed to new replies.