Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Working out notice – so frustrating!
  • robbo1234biking

I handed in my notice and work and am leaving at the end of December to start a new job in the new year. I have already handed over all my work and I still have another 6 days to work with f all to do!

I dont mind if they give me something constructive to do but it seems they are quite content for me to just be in the building!

thejesmonddingo

Sicknote.
    Ian

soma_rich
    Free Member

In the same boat here!
    20days 6hours 41minutes and 6seconds.

😐

Jamie
    Free Member

Personally i would use the time to catch up on my reading or just sleep.

…or get a homeless person with a similar look to you, dress them in your clothes and use them as a body double to take your place.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Dont really see what the problem is, surely it would be worse if they suddenly put loads of work on your plate just to make sure they got every last penny out of.

You cant really expect them to pay you to sit at home/go biking.

StirlingCrispin

I spent three months like that – it sucked.

I heard of a nobel prize winner – jumping from one big pharma company to another – being made to work out his notice period (as you do when you've invented a blockbuster drug worth billions).
    He spent his time learning to play the guitar.

MrAgreeable

As scu98rkr says, last time I worked out my notice I got a tonne of work dumped on me, it was pretty stressful. Just use the time to tie up any loose ends and make sure you leave them with a good impression. Or start going to the pub at lunchtime for longer and longer. 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

My posts on here will be going through the roof in the next 3 weeks 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

Or start going to the pub at lunchtime for longer and longer.

🙄 Yeah thats a good idea. I should have thought of that. 🙄

robbo1234biking

the office is too quiet to start learning the guitar!

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

make them gutted that you are going! Work really well and offer to help anyone that is stuck! Days will go quicker and you can gloat on top of the moral high ground!!!

Davy
    Free Member

Maybe it's too quiet because nobody plays the guitar. You should remedy the situation.

robbo1234biking

:-)They already offered me more money to stay but i had made up my mind by then. Everyone is pretty much on holiday now – think there are 4 people in the office and because of the nature of what I work in everyone is a bit secretive!

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

9 days after today to work, then redundancy.

Have been counting down the days and can't wait to get out as atmosphere just so terrible. At least you're moving on to something else and they're not loading you with work.

robbo1234biking

9 days after today to work, then redundancy

Sorry to hear that – I know its a bit unfair to moan when some people are out of work. The only reason that I have been able to do this is because the mrs found another job after being made redundant allowing me to take the risk of moving to a new company.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Nature? secretive?

Do you work for the KBG? and moving to the CIA?

Sounds interesting please sir tell us more.

robbo1234biking

nothing that interesting – work in the automotive industry. usually you get gardening leave but they have decided that where I am going isnt in competition but they dont want me to work on stuff anymore in case I steal any ideas!

robbo1234biking

And everyone thinks the part they are working on is the next great design idea when in fact it is just another generic sheet metal panel as requested by a styling!

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

bugger!

Just spend the days designing strange bikes on AutoCAD (other CAD software is available)

DavidB
    Free Member

My notice period is one year 🙁

plant
    Free Member

1 year?! Are you one of Santa's elves?

How can you plan your life around that?

GJP
    Free Member

DavidB – Member
    My notice period is one year

Works both ways, mine is 6 months, which I know gives me some security if I were to be made redundant, so long as the company doesn't completely fail.

I would have thought with a notice period of one year, most companies would go down the gardening leave route?

Are employees under any obligation to tell their employers where they are moving on to?

robbo1234biking

Are employees under any obligation to tell their employers where they are moving on to?

I wasn't under any obligation so I dont think you can be made to – i think you may have to confirm the industry though perhaps?!

DavidB
    Free Member

1 year?! Are you one of Santa's elves?

How can you plan your life around that?

I have a service contract as a Director slightly different to contract of employment. It is designed to prevent me joining the competition and actually works reasonably well because as soon as I resign, it's gardening leave for 12 months. So, to answer your question I just have to take a view 12 months on rather than 1.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Working out notice – so frustrating!’ is closed to new replies.