• This topic has 71 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by robw1.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Working in Saudi Arabia? Would you?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

My Dad lives in Bahrain, has done for 10 years now, he’s not a massive fan of Arabic Politics, but he’s honest enough to say he’ll take their money at the rate they’re throwing it at him and Bahrain is, by middle eastern standards, quite forward thinking.

Aye, Bahrain is another world compared to SA.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My Dad lives in Bahrain, has done for 10 years now, he’s not a massive fan of Arabic Politics, but he’s honest enough to say he’ll take their money at the rate they’re throwing it at him and Bahrain is, by middle eastern standards, quite forward thinking.

Wouldn’t go to Saudi though, he’s not usually one for xenophobia but he thinks they’re the worst kind of hypocrites and they adore “teaching people a lesson” which in reality is enjoying seeing people suffer and die for not following (or being a accused of not following) rules they routinely ignore themselves.

My folks lived on Bahrain from 2002-2009 and say pretty much the same thing. I’ve went out a few times too. The Saudis are positively hated there.

What nobody has mentioned is the fantastic hospitality you would enjoy from other expats, not necessarily from Saudis, who wouldn’t want you to see them getting boozed-up on Johnny Walker black, green and blue label.

This too. The ex-pat living in an environment can be one where there’s little to do other than work or eat and drink… Some Saudis (and Bahrainis) also find all sorts of weird and wonderful technicalities to get round the Qu’ran’s teachings so they could have a whisky or five.

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve a mate who was in Bahrain for a few years. We went out for a meal of an evening and he pointed out all the Saudis over for a weekend of hookers and booze which, officially, they never partake of, ever…

He also found the rule of law was not as important as family ties…

I went to the supermarket with his wife when he was out at work, and she pointed out to me we couldn’t have done that in Saudi.

Bahrain and UAE are relatively liberal but I suspect you’d find Saudi very oppressive… there’s a reason why companies have to pay people far in excess of what they’d get in their home countries – they won’t go otherwise!

dragon
    Free Member

Boss was out recently when the air con broke in Riydah airport during a dust storm, described it as horrific.

Qatar is a positively free thinking, liberal place compared to Saudi.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, the old man says the bridge to Saudi is often littered with crashed Land Cruisers when their drivers have been a bit to liberal with their interpretation of the Qu’ran – won’t have any of it with their Women folk or Allah forbid a foreign Muslim though, act unholy and a fat man in a dress with cut your head off, usually in the middle of the road.

As for family-ties, brooess is right, and it goes for most, if not all of the middle-east – even in Bahrain you can forget justice if you’re not from the right family – the first year my Dad was there he witnessed a horrible accident – a Mercedes 4×4 being driven at stupid speed (SOP for Bahrain) crashes into a minibus full of migrant workers -Arabs don’t do manual labour, although my Dad would argue they don’t do work full-stop, so they import their workers from Bangladesh and India with promises of riches, but they’re not far off slaves – anyway Driver of the Merc is hurt, but not badly – 2-3 workers are killed, few more badly hurt. Merc driver who absolutely positively wasn’t pissed at the time, because he’s a good Muslim accuses the driver of the bus of ramming him – case closed. Driver of the Minibus goes to prison, the workers alive but too hurt to work get deported and the rest go back to the building site.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Couple of days, yes, long term, no

Make sure you get a second passport. Your work should be able to provide letters funding etc. Some stamps raise more questions than others at customs so if you travel a lot so it is good to reserve one passport for stamps from middle eastern counries.

slowoldman

He’s sure one day the oil will run out, or we’ll stop caring about it, a single generation later they’ll run out of money, and the generation after that will be back to roaming the desert chopping each others heads off for sport, they’re a billion dollars away from savages, no more, no less.

If they last that long. There used to be a standing joke that the last two Saudis would be killed in a head on collision on the Abqaiq Highway.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

the first year my Dad was there he witnessed a horrible accident – a Mercedes 4×4 being driven at stupid speed (SOP for Bahrain) crashes into a minibus full of migrant workers -Arabs don’t do manual labour, although my Dad would argue they don’t do work full-stop, so they import their workers from Bangladesh and India with promises of riches, but they’re not far off slaves – anyway Driver of the Merc is hurt, but not badly – 2-3 workers are killed, few more badly hurt. Merc driver who absolutely positively wasn’t pissed at the time, because he’s a good Muslim accuses the driver of the bus of ramming him – case closed. Driver of the Minibus goes to prison, the workers alive but too hurt to work get deported and the rest go back to the building site.

My folks were in a few prangs too – the main reason they had any sort of influence and weren’t fobbed off is that my Dad taught at the international school that a lot of the wealthy families sent their kids to.

Bizarrely the construction workers downed tools when it hit 40 degrees C – there seemed to be no comeback from the arabs to that.

nickc

My old man worked out there for a few years (ex RAF installing RADAR systems) , and while usually he’s the most laid back of folk, he has the same view of SA as P-Jay’s dad.

Trimix
    Free Member

I lived there for 5 years a long time ago. I would not go there again.

Life is too short for such a high risk, oh, and there is no mountain biking.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t for any salary. Don’t kid yourself about culture, there isn’t any in Saudi. Everyone is so suppressed, men included. It’s a hole. I know a few people who went out to earn that stash of cash. Most couldn’t hack it. The boredom. There is nothing to do and nothing you’d want to do. Sure there is an ex pat scene but revolves around eating and drinking. Also living within a compound, apparently, soon gets to you. Just not worth 3 / 5 / 10 years of your life.

guystabler
    Free Member

I grew up in Saudi and have worked out there a few times. If you are going for a few days then really no issues, just enjoy the differences (which are many and fundamental compared to UK!) but make sure you are in a good hotel as said above.

lodious
    Free Member

IMHO, It a great opportunity to go there and learn about another culture first hand. I don’t think you’d ever regret going, but I think you might regret not going.

mrchrispy

Rather apt that ‘the Kingdom’ is on itv4 right now.

Nick

I don’t understand how anyone with a concience could go and benefit from one of the most brutal and oppressive regimes on the planet. But I guess for some people money is all that matters, but don’t kid yourself that youre not legitimising a state with massive human rights issues.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Rather apt that ‘the Kingdom’ is on itv4 right now.

I was just reading this and thinking Bloody hell! The Kingdom is a documentary afterall”

🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Not for me personally, a friend of a friend us out there at the moment and is earning a disgusting amount of money and I mean loads. He’s recently got married and dragged is wife with him and plans to stick it out for five yo tens years. He’ll be set for life but I can’t imagine living in a compound and being so restricted. I think I’d struggle for a few days.

hora
    Free Member

If its now yes, in 2months+ unsure. See how Yemen and Iran pan out as Saudi’s are being sucked into something which could cause distability at home too.

Those fences mean zip. Even the nutters have big tanks now! Plus stability is internal?

globalti
    Free Member

I can’t help comparing SA in my mind with Nigeria where I’ve spend quite a lot of time and where it’s possible for expats to earn shedlaods of cash. The big difference is that Nigerians are laid back and alcohol is plentiful and good; they brew some excellent beers and Lagos has the biggest Guinness brewery in the world. Security concerns and the lack of much to do means you can be bored there but at least Nigerians are fun people with their own strong and colourful culture.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I spent a lot of time in Oman and the Saudis are such a bunch of hypocritical arses. “It’s Friday,let’s drive to Muscat and get smashed!!!” So bloody arrogant as well. Bahrain or Oman I would definitely go and work “short term” (at least there’s an MTB and road scene in and you are not looked at like an alien in Oman). It’s not a way of life that I could do long term. The malls and having to goto a hotel for a drink (getting hassled by hookers) etc gets old.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Saudi is definitely the toughest Middle Eastern Country I have visited. It’s a bit unfair to critise Bahrain which is relatively open in comparison. I’ve visited all of these on business numerous times and been on a family holiday to Oman.

Saudi (Riyad and Jeddah), Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman

I have many friends/colleagues who have or are currently working int he region. Saudi always was a tough posting and most people don’t stay more than 2 or 4 years. A visit for a couple of days is tough but fine

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

t’s a bit unfair to critise Bahrain which is relatively open in comparison.

I don’t think has ever been in doubt, certainly when compared to Saudi. It’s just unfortunate for Bahrain that it’s linked to Saudi by the causeway.

allthegear
    Free Member

As a trans, lesbian, very tall, blonde woman with a healthy disregard for rules and religion in general, I’d say it probably wasn’t the place for me… 😉

(although I am quite tempted by taking the motorbike through Iran – sounds achievable)

Rachel

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I can’t help comparing SA in my mind with Nigeria where I’ve spend quite a lot of time and where it’s possible for expats to earn shedlaods of cash. The big difference is that Nigerians are laid back and alcohol is plentiful and good; they brew some excellent beers and Lagos has the biggest Guinness brewery in the world. Security concerns and the lack of much to do means you can be bored there but at least Nigerians are fun people with their own strong and colourful culture”

you know i nearly wrote something similar to that yesterday.

id sooner go work in Port harcourt than go to Saudi – and yes ive worked in both as well as other West african and middle eastern countries.

Pigface
    Free Member

Allthegear going off on a tangent, a mate did the Mongol rally a couple of years ago, he said the best part of the journey was Iran, stunning place, super friendly people.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Backwards religious nutjobs aside; I’ve always been fascinated by the empty quarter. I’m not sure why. Anyone ever been?

DrJ

id sooner go work in Port harcourt than go to Saudi – and yes ive worked in both as well as other West african and middle eastern countries.

+1

PHC is a crazy place, in its own way!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

As a trans, lesbian, very tall, blonde woman with a healthy disregard for rules and religion in general, I’d say it probably wasn’t the place for me…

😆

I’ve always thought it’s odd that all this xenophobia is perpetuated by men in dresses. Is there some massive cultural insecurity? 😉

BoardinBob

they still execute people on a Friday afternoon in Riyadh city centre in front of the public.

Regardless if you’re a supporter of the death penalty, that’s a level of barbarism that we outgrew a long time ago.

I have a Saudi visa page in my passport. It’ll be the first and last.

slowoldman

Backwards religious nutjobs aside; I’ve always been fascinated by the empty quarter. I’m not sure why. Anyone ever been?

I was tempted when I worked out there but never got on with it.

Interestingly when I went out in 1980 I met a couple who had been there 20 years earlier and talked about the friendly, welcoming and helpful attitude of the Saudis!

m0rk
    Free Member

Nearly had to go a few times over the last couple… So I have two Saudi Visa, both expired & unused now.

I’m pretty happy about that, and was content to dodge any trip out there.

I was approached to work out there, but despite being financially great, the impact on the family life wasn’t worth it (to me)

robw1
    Free Member

In Saudi at the moment (Dammam). come here couple of times a year for the last few years. Its ok. Wouldn’t want to live here (or anywhere in the Mid East) as id miss many things about the UK / western life….but absolutely fine for a couple of weeks at a a time.
    security situation in major cities (and provincial places I have been to is fine and it appears crime is very low (tough punishments!). Its always sensible to follow FCO advice though wherever you plan on travelling to. People are generally hospitable and friendly.

If its only for a few days Id say give it a go to see what its like, and form your own opinion….rather than the many STW armchair travellers!!!
    Its also an interesting place to do business, and contacts you make here could be lucrative (if that’s any benefit to you!).

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Working in Saudi Arabia? Would you?’ is closed to new replies.