Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Working from home etiquette
  • dangriff
    Free Member

Mrs G well pi55ed off with her boss.

She phoned in to the office saying that she would be working from home. 5 minutes later, got the sh1ttiest of emails from her boss… who is working from home herself!!! One rule for them, another for everyone else.

I phoned my boss to tell him I'd be in after lunch, depending on progress with my snowman building in the morning. He just replied by saying fill your boots, it doesn't snow every day.

surfer
    Free Member

My position with my own team is somewhere in the middle.

Exceptional circumstances as long as we keep the wheels on the wagon for the next few days I am happy for them to be working from home. Especially as I am doing the same!
    Have little time for "managers" who "manage" via E:mail!

carbon337
    Free Member

The etiquette seems to be send lots of emails so people think you are really busy and are actually online.

We have MS communicator and that seems to have become a way that people check whether your at your desk or not – good job it has a 1hr delay before it shows you offline.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

He just replied by saying fill your boots

Won't your feet get rather cold?

dangriff
    Free Member

The difference is that I want to work for my boss, as he lets me do as I please and he knows I'll do my bit plus more to keep the situation as it is.

I'll do some more work when the kids have gone to bed, but enjoyed **** around in the snow this morning.

john_drummer
    Free Member

our manager's pretty good. yesterday's email went something like this:

"I'm working from home due to the extreme weather conditions. For the UK based staff that managed to get in, well done but don't leave it too late going home. And take care on your way home.

for those that didn't make it, well, we have the technology to work from home, we may as well use it.

for those in CEEME, don't laugh, but the UK is crippled when we get 2cm of snow. We have 15cm and building…"

Stoner
    Free Member

tell her boss to get bent?

Im not sure how people put up working for rshols.
    Life's too short.

allthepies
    Free Member

Female boss innit.

antigee

i thought this was going to be about the acceptability of wearing boxers (only) during a conference call

tip – if the sound of you scratching your b@lls at some boring point echoes across a couple of continents shout "crackly line" immediately drop out and make a coffee

ps if you are female, working from residential premises and scratching someones b@alls during a conference call – that isn't called homeworking

Pieface

Of all the people in my office I am probably most likely to get into work. I have the option of bike, tram or walking, and all the main roads are clear and I only live 2 miles away.

However given that everyone left early yesterday I'd assumed there'd be hardly anyone else in so didn't really see the point. Sent the 'All team' email advising of this only for loads of replies of people saying they were going in.

I did get through a lot more work today than I would have based in the office. I keep thinking I need a nice quiet time to plough through a load of work and I achieved this today. At work I get distracted too easily with chit-chat and tea runs.

Working from home can be good if you've got a lot to do, otherwise it would be boring.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

smurf
    Free Member

I work from home 2 days a week most weeks. It's tough to stay focused some days but it does allow me to take breaks to help my wife with our 17 month old daughter, do some domestic chores, or really focus on a big piece of work for a few hours.

My whole team WFH the same sort of amount, but I only keep hard working, motivated people in the team so there isnt much of an issue.

I think a bit of give and take always helps

smurf

Ed2001
    Free Member

Just make sure you complete work by the agreed deadline and try not to **** too much.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I was well pee'd off. I've never been allowed to work from home before, but today, when i cant make it in, suddenly im expected to be on the VPN all afternoon.
    So, for the first time in 15 years i had the chance to go riding in relatively deep snow, had organised a ride with some mates in the afternoon and didnt get to go. FFS.
    Extended lunch break ride tomorrow, when surprise, surprise, i'll be working from home.

Pembo
    Free Member

antigee – Member

i thought this was going to be about the acceptability of wearing boxers (only) during a conference call

Hah, you need to do at least one conf call starkers 😀 preferably at home and not in the office.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Working from home etiquette’ is closed to new replies.