Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Working from home
  • bigsi
    Free Member

So how do those that do it concentrate on the work they need to do.

I'm interested to know as I'm just about to go to 2-3 days a week working at home (we have a spare bedroom that is currently used as an "office") with the rest of the time spent in a central office.

Any pointers or advice from those that do/have done it appreciated.

Cheers

Cletus

I find it a nightmare as I have a three year old who constantly pesters me (I need to be harder with her and send her away) and a 13 year old who comes home from school and does much the same.

bigsi
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to say that i don't have the kids aspect to worry about (must be a nightmare for those that do) and its a sales job i do 😉

Cletus

As you can tell from my previous post I struggle with working from home and, at the moment, I do it approx 4 days a week.

Things that I find do help are:

1. Set alarm for 7:30 and get up and showered – all to easy to roll out of bed at 8:45 and spend the morning in your dressing gown.

2. Go out for a walk before sitting down to work. Does not have to be too long – when I do this I just go 500m to get a paper.

3. Go out at lunchtime for a brief stroll.

4. Organise something for 6pm which means you have to finish your work by then. This can be a ride with mates, cooking a meal for partner etc.

When I do these things I can often finish my work by 3pm. If I do not, and the work that I have to do is tedious, I often find myself surfing the net aimlessly (often on STW) and then still having my work to do at 9pm.

Will be interested in the other responses.

tazzymtb

this explains everything you need to know 😀

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

My wife works 2 days a week in the office, 3 days at home. She's very consientious and does a very good job.

I, however, would struggle bigtime with homeworking: so many distractions – tv, internet, snacks, beer, the garden, going for a ride, power w*nk, magazines, cuppa tea….. No, couldn't do it.

iDave
    Free Member

what cletus said. i hate working from home, but then again, i hate working. make a schedule and stick to it. and stay away from the kitchen.

bigsi
    Free Member

cheers Celtus, sounds like the dogs are going to enjoy it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Worked at home fine, 'till I got the internet! Takes a lot of self discipline/control. If you've got loads of work it's great, you just lock yourself away and get on with it, and bang out the invoices. You can get a bit self-involved though. suppose it depends on the nature of the work and your own personality.

If you got no work, you can get far too distracted with crap, when you should be doing the non-paying "boring work" of finding more work and chasing invoices, etc. when it's far too easy to fanny about or go for a ride. If you're prone to procrastination – forget it!

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I worked from home for a year with maybe one day a fortnight at a central office. It was good for so long as if it was a nice day, Id slope off on the bike and work later on. But I started to really miss interaction with others. Got to the stage I was working out of the local coffee shop just to be in an office-like buzz!

nacho
    Free Member

I work from home 5 days a week in sales with maybe once a month a customer visit. I use the thought of commission to keep me working!!!! Sometimes it's cr*p but then I try to look at the positives. More time watching my kids grow up and more time out on the bike as no commmuting!

user-removed
    Free Member

You have to have a passion for your work – I do and it works well for me. Even if that passion is just the thought of the pay cheque it'll work out….

I spend all day every day working at home – I don't do any of the whole, 'Wake up at 7 a.m. and put on a suit' codswallop – I just write myself a list of things I'd like to get done, prioritise it, and get on with it. Said list also includes; housework, dog-walking and bike-riding (usually No. 1 priority).

I do end up putting in more hours than I should – Mrs. Removed often has to tell me to stop working at 10 at night, as I'll be sitting there google street mapping tomorrow's client's house. I love it though, and wouldn't have it any other way.

EDIT: just read scottyjohn's post, and it rings true – you will need to keep up interaction with other humans – I do it by working a few shifts a week at the local dry ski slope – sounds like you (OP) will still have a few days a week in the office to stave off the cabin fever.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Working from home’ is closed to new replies.