Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Working form home?
  • thered

When working from home, does your missus assume that you’re therefore available to answer questions and do odd jobs?

revs1972
    Free Member

and babysit!

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk[/video]

montarius
    Free Member

In short, yes.

Make sure you have cleaned, done laundry and got dinner ready for her return.

MoreCashThanDash

Currently trying to get the chance to work from home 9-3 to fit around school. The odd jobs I could cope with, I tend to blitz work for an hour then have 10 mins “screen break” time. But work seem to think I should be able to work while the kids are at home, even though that might be against their own policy….. 🙄

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yes.

I ended up with one of the twins clattering my keyboard whilst on a conf call last week. Thankfully most of the team know about our recent arrivals.

dknwhy

Yes. It really cuts into the time that I like to put aside for watching Homes under the hammer.

andyfla
    Free Member

weirdly I found myself faffing for around 50% of the time – eating biscuits, watching paint dry, etc – and I was still waaaay more productive than when i was in the office , made me realise how little I actually contributed to the company

hot_fiat

^^Yep to everything above^^. Just entering my 4th year working from my temporary desk in my boy’s nursery. If I’m good i might have time to complete my man cave in time for Christmas.

scruff
    Free Member

Busy Mike ?

thered

Hahahahaha, I love Swiss tony. What a great show the fast show is

brakes
    Free Member

Yes!
    Can you just pop to the shops?
    Can you call the telephone company?
    Can you hang the washing out?
    Can you watch the boy for 30 minutes whilst I go and get my eyebrows done?!?!?!?!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah yes – the ex seemed to
    Storming off when I wasn’t able to take her to work – I said if my meeting finished I would checking 30s before you need to leave isn’t planning.

But yes it’s assumed that working from home means your surf the net and do all that then work for 10mins. (Currently working from home but I’m just making breakfast)

ourmaninthenorth

Working from home is meant to be to time saved from the commute and avoidance of walk up chat from stressy programme managers. And I do get a lot done, but still there’s a thousand conference calls, lync presentation calls and general interruptions.

But usually I go in the study in the daylight and leave in the dark. And still don’t get enough done.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yes to most of the above. Been WFH for nearly 2 years, get loads more done than when in the office, but if anything needs fetching from shops before 5pm I make it clear I have 30 minutes to do so and in return I get a sandwich made. Or the shop is literally round the corner and it goes down as “making a coffee” time.

However, the last 6 months have changed perspective for both me and my manager, who has been amazing throughout. In June my wife found a lump in her breast and has been going through surgery & chemotherapy for breast cancer since then. One more chemo session to go, over NYE, then hopefully that’s it…

wilburt
    Free Member

Worked on and off from home for a few years but really got into it lately, still go in occasionally to avoid boredom. I can do stuff aroundd the house and still be more productive than when travelling for a couple of hours and getting distracted.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Maybe you don’t unserstand the concept of working from home.

Of course you can do all of the above! “Answer questions”… sounds like you’re a bag of fun when you’re working from home! ‘Wife, dont talk to me, I’m doing something very important’!

thered

Maybe you don’t unserstand the concept of working from home.
    Of course you can do all of the above! “Answer questions”… sounds like you’re a bag of fun when you’re working from home! ‘Wife, dont talk to me, I’m doing something very important’!

The trolls and wind-up’s on here are the worst I’ve ever seen. This frankly is laughable. Get yourself onto a football forum and learn some lessons.

Anyhoo, it’s the babysitting I don’t get, why is it automatically assumed that I’m available to do this?

weeksy

Anyhoo, it’s the babysitting I don’t get, why is it automatically assumed that I’m available to do this?

Because otherwise you’re just sitting on here posting rubbish ?

aP
    Free Member

I don’t understand the assumption that “the missus” will also be at home.

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah mine’s usually out shopping.

Kryton57

My wife started formally working from home this week. The house has never been so tidy, and I only had to do one school run.

As you were…

huggis
    Free Member

Ha Ha this is a great thread and I can relate to all of the above! I’ve been working from home for 4 years now and things like forum help keep me sane (mostly!)

mrblobby
    Free Member

I work from home most of the time. I do get dragged into odd jobs and the occasional nappy change, still think overall I’m more productive than I’d be in the office. Great to have had the opportunity to do it though as I’ve got to see loads of the kids growing up (2 year old and an 10 month old here) that I’d missed out on if I was out the house from 8 till 6 during the week.

things like forum help keep me sane

Takes the place of office gossip 🙂

Because otherwise you’re just sitting on here posting rubbish ?

🙂

rogermoore
    nach
    Free Member

Yes. Housemates too.

I had to be really strict on some one year. Two of them worked in retail, so tended to have weekdays off and need to make trivial conversation. I shouted at them both once because, between them, they interrupted me every fifteen minutes for a few hours straight.

The only way I found to explain it to them was the way a friend put it: “Interrupting someone who works with information or does something creative is like walking into a bakery and turning all the ovens off”. I ended up with the rule that headphones on = working.

It’s great when you’re around and can be really helpful with something. It’s awful when the people around you take that for granted and assume you’re available just because you’re around.

samuri
    Free Member

uhuh. Obviously when I’m at work I sit on a beach all day and drink cocktails and can be interrupted during this activity at any time. Not answering my personal phone will result in a contact on my work phone followed by repeated calls on my personal phone until I panic and l leave the meeting (deciding say, a multi-million pound service contract) to find out I needed to know we’re having shepherds pie tonight.

When I work from home this escalates to me staying in bed all day watching reruns of ‘The Big Bang Theory’ so it’s her JOB to give me things to do.

cheers_drive

Mrs CD often writes me a list of things to do whilst I’m working from home. I really should write her a list for working on the office.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Working form home?’ is closed to new replies.