Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Working Christmas day.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

After reading the ‘goose’ post, I wondered how many of you will be working on the day.
    My missus will be unless our lord Jesus heals the sick. My daughters away so its me and the boy.
    Thinking no Christmas dinner, but a mega fry up and a day of vegging.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m working 6am-2pm all the way through from 24/12 till 4/1

working from home so not a great PIA

pop-larkin
    Free Member

My missus is delivering babies in the morning- she offered to avoid doing a late shift or nights- idea being she goes to work me and the kids veg then open pressies when she gets back and I make a mess in the kitchen burning stuff!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

When I used to work shifts (before promotion took me away from ward work & shifts) I worked Christmas fairly regularly, working along the lines that I didn’t have offspring then. First Xmas with offspring sort of co-ordinated with the promotion at work, after that my post didn’t require me to work bank holidays so I’ve not worked Xmas for about 9 years.

I used to offer to work New year instead, and had to filter out those kids whose parents were trying to get their kids admitted as handy babysitting service.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Off 23rd 1pm to 5th here, longest break I’ll have had for 18 months.

Never had to work Xmas day.

firestarter
    Free Member

Working 24, 25th days 26, 27th nights and 1st, 2 Jan days ,3rd, 4th nights

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Worked in a petrol station once and had to work on New Years Day. Was suppose to work New Years eve too but the night shift guy didn’t turn up the night before and I did a double shift from 3pm to 7am, due back in at 3pm. Told the boss I couldn’t do that which meant I could get started earlier. Woke up on New Years day feeling pretty rough and phoned the early shift to say I’d be an hour late, which was fine as he had done the same. Arrived at work to find him chasing shoplifters out the door and straight at me, fair to say that we didn’t see them again. The night shift guy failed to turn up again and there was almost no food left in the place, at least it was quiet and my gf brought me some food later in the day. I think that was the last year there was unlimited access to Princes St in Edinburgh and there were terrible crushes due to the numbers that went, remember Policemen coming in and telling me what they had seen people being crushed against barriers and shop windows.

trail_rat
    Free Member

had the oportunity to work it – turned it down – took 3 weeks hols – mainly because ive only been in the uk for 3 weeks since august due to busy work schedule

thegreatape
    Free Member

Finish (hopefully) at 1.30am on Christmas morning, then a 500 mile drive down to London to the outlaws where my wife and kids will be.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I worked last year, this year I’m skiing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    only been in the uk for 3 weeks since august due to busy work schedule

Aye you’re barely on here these days! 😛

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nope.. Since leaving The Army, I’ve never worked over that period.
    To be honest, I wish I was… Would make life a lot easier.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ll be working Christmas Day again. We’ve got my extended family coming out to the chalet this year so should be quite relaxed with a bit of luck.

We usually try to take New Year’s Day as our day off.

jools182
    Free Member

I wish I was 🙁

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

yep working christmas day, boxing day, and new years eve, and have done for the last 20yrs.
    But to be fair its my choice and nearly as lucrative as mothers day.

MB

simonm
    Free Member

Julian, YGM re job.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

we dont get a choice our place shuts down over the holidays, we have to keep annual leave to use at this time so im off from the 23rd to the 5th of jan

stayhigh

I had my first christmas off for 7 years last year which was nice but this year I’m back on shift again. On the plus side its an early so should finish at 2 and be home around 330 after a happy christmas to me ride home 😀

Drac

I finish on the 17th and I’m not back until the 31st. It’s the first time I 18 years I’ve been operational
    Staff I’ve been on holiday at Xmas. Going to have a big gorge fest of excessive alcohol, food and gifts.

Bring it on!

amplebrew

I’m working Christmas day myself on an early shift; 7.30am to 4.30pm.

I’ve worked the last 6 Christmas periods, but I don’t mind to be honest. Christmas day isn’t too bad, it’s Boxing day that is usually the problem.

Boxing day will be sorting out family disputes, numerous drunks in pubs and a possibly a few drink drivers after a heavy session the day before.

My wife is working as well looking after poorly kids, so we’ll doing the presents and Christmas dinner in the evening.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’m off from now until the 4th of jan

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve worked two out of the last four – Christmas Eve, Christmas Day & Boxing Day – mainly because of the money on offer. Each time it’s led to either a bike or summit else spangly.

There’s the opportunity again this year, but as I haven’t had more that 5 days off in a row this year, I’m finishing on the 16th and returning on the 4th January

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Working Christmas day.’ is closed to new replies.