Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Working at home, how does health and safety work…
  • ricochet_rob
    Free Member

At work we are all about to begin working from home about 3 days a week. they are asking us to sign a document which basically says that we are responsible for the usual health and safety rules, i.e. desks and chairs, lighting etc.

It seems to me that we are basically signing anyway any rights we have, should I get back problems who can prove if its due to days at home or at the office.

Just wondered what the STW massive though, its a local authority so god knows how it was agreed by the Unions.

wombat

AFAIK if you are required to work from home the company has the same responsibilities for your H&S and they do if you're in their office. They should provide you with anything (within reason) which you need to carry out your job in a safe manner (chairs, computer kit etc).

Of course, if you're a forklift truck driver or a lumberjack this could be a bit meaningless 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

all IIRC – try HSE site for guidance

You are responsible for obeying all h&S Policies.
    Assessment can be done by anyone suitably qualified so if you are trainied in H&S assessment you can assess your own home risks. If not the council should be doing the assessement. If its merely computer usage then that is easy to assess and to train people to do the assessment
    If equipment is needed they should provide it – ie desk / chair for computer based work or PPE or whatever is needed.

Speshpaul

Your employer should carry out a work place safety assessment. Where ever you work.
    All the normal DSE requirements apply, and your employer should supply you with what ever you need.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

They are not providing anything, Just saying that we must make sure we have everything we need. So staff are buying PC's, chairs and broadband connections. Or you can opt out of the whole scheme and never be allowed to work from home again, basically washing their hands of it all.

Speshpaul

Oh and you can claim Tax back on ulitity bills.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Are they providing the equipment? Contact the union H&S bod if not

uplink
    Free Member
    mk1fan
    Free Member

Firstly, are you saying that you're incapable of working safely in your own home? How do you cope with such tasks as cooking, cleaning and washing?

Secondly, I don't think it's reasonable for the employees to provide and bear the ongoing cost of providing office infrastructure for the benefit of the company.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Working at home, how does health and safety work…’ is closed to new replies.