• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by core.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Working and STW
  • Lifer
    Free Member

So it’s a bit of a running joke on here, and I was definitely guilty of it in the past, but recent job change means that I spend 0% of my working time on here. Much happier! Not because I’m not on here but because I’ve got a job that keeps me busy from the time I get in to the time I leave. [/smug]

Definitely used to use it as a distraction from the boredom of my old job which has me thinking, has anyone else been through the same or recognize the use of internet as a crutch to help get through the working day?

ton

i can spend my whole working day on here. it does pass the boredom.

CountZero

I was last in a position to be able to spend significant time on STW while at work somewhere around 2003-2005, certainly around the time of The Big Hack. Not been possible since 2005, IIRC, except for very brief sessions, but our firewall causes the site to freeze because of all the adverts it’s not worth the hassle, and I rarely get time anyway.

Harry_the_Spider

If I’m busy, no chance.

If those in the office are chatting or nipping out for a smoke then yes.

Drac

Be nice to get a chance just to have a piss some days.

theotherjonv

Same – I far prefer the busy days where you don’t have time, but sadly due to project delays outside my control, I’m currently marking time at least some of the time.

Not sure I want to get back to the 14 hour days that characterised the great c2h2 shortage either……

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I used to have a boring job with long hours sitting in front of a computer. So I used to spend a lot of time on here. Now I’m actually busy most of the time I don’t get the chance. The fact I work with bikes all day means I don’t feel the need to talk about them as much either, plus there’s an awful lot of repetition on here too!
    I tend to log on once or twice a day now rather than having a window open permanently!

jimbobo
    Free Member

I can’t spend my whole working day on here anymore as single track crashes my browser now, and since some of my applications are web based, I can’t be crashing every five mins.

Only been an issue since our last upgrade (to windows 95 or something similarly modern), but I can’t really complain to IT since its not really work related. (Buzzfeed kills it too)

jp-t853

I have never had much time whilst at work but it is nice to take a minute every now and again.

jimbobo – Member

I can’t spend my whole working day on here anymore as single track crashes my browser now

Unfortunately this happens all of the time now as the ads kill everything so I don’t even get the odd minute 😕

bearnecessities

Without wishing to drag up the same old topic, but yes ^ and I pay for a P! Work laptop has an aneurysm trying to load the page before I can login.

Drac

As mentioned on the other threads bookmarking this http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?loggedout=true will help you log in.

spooky_b329

Tried a bit of STW’ing at work today, IE now gives a popup asking if I want to allow unsecure content. I normally click yes without paying attention, but today was particularly bad, it was freezing up and not letting me type out a new post. After three attempts at closing the browser and reloading, I chose ‘no’ on the popup, I think it blocked some of the ads from loading and it was usable, as in I could actually post something even though it was laggy.

And this is using a relatively new and nippy laptop.

SaxonRider

Funny this should come up today. There are days when I literally don’t get a moment to run to the bathroom. Today, however, was just the opposite. For some reason, I couldn’t get the energy to even begin going through the important tasks that I don’t often get a chance to touch. So I spent the whole day flitting between STW and NHL hockey.

Go figure.

BruceWee

STW is definitely a work time activity for me rather than a free time activity. I really feel that my time could be better spent if I used my work time to learn a foreign language or write a book but its so easy to log on and look at strangers arguing.

DezB
    Free Member

recognize the use of internet as a crutch to help get through the working day?

Definitely. We recently had a re-org here, which killed all the office banter, moved me to an area where I’m sat alone most of the time. I don’t mind, but sometimes it’s nice to troll chat with my internerd “buddies” 😀

rumple
    Free Member

all i do in work is go on here, BBC and pinkbike. good job im leaving at the end of the month…..

footflaps

If I’m busy at work I rarely log in, but quite often it’s really quiet and I use stw to relieve the boredom…

john_drummer
    Free Member

WFH 4 days out of 5 so I have my work laptop on one side of my desk and my home PC keyboard on the other.

Never use the work laptop for STW since I switched to WFH 2 years ago, but the home PC often has this window open.

cchris2lou

Same as most people.
    If busy no time, otherwise on here when I can but from the phone. 4g is great for time wasting at work.

core

Me!

Started work from home at 7am this morning to catch up on paperwork, then into the office about 9am, then off out on site visits til 3, then discovered I’m on ‘late’ cover until 5pm.

I’ve done a fair days work I think, so seeing out the last 15 minutes on here, seeing as I don’t take tea/coffee/fag/skiving breaks…..

Oh, that and the fact my senior, who was off ‘sick’ today was seen wondering around town earlier by a colleague, so I don’t feel guilty at all!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Working and STW’ is closed to new replies.