Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Working an extra day on the 29th February
  • prahran
    Free Member

Just having a discussion in the office. Is it fair that those on weekly wages get paid for the extra day whereas those on monthly wages don’t get paid..? What do you do in your workplace?

bigyinn
    Free Member

You get paid for 31 days of work in a 29day month if you’re on monthly pay, so what the beef?

clubber
    Free Member

Swings and roundabouts. You wouldn’t be too happy if your company said they’d pay you less in February because it’s a shorter month so it’s reasonable that one year in four, they don’t pay you more for the extra day…

IMO of course.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You get paid for 31 days of work in a 29day month if you’re on monthly pay, so what the beef?

Technicaly (like most people) I get paid a yearly wage, divided by 12. So the unjustness is spread over the whole year.

Also there’s no differentiation between years with more than average number of weekends.

prahran
    Free Member

Yes, annual salary divided by 12. The reason it cropped up is because Christmas Eve falls on Monday and who’s going to want to go to work on the Monday? We were wondering if we could offset Feb 29th against Monday 24th Dec

stophe
    Free Member

It all depends how weekends fall anyway, and with respect to Christmas. 2012 has an extra working day (252) over 2011 (251) but 2013 and 2014 are both an extra day (253) over this year’s. Without the royal wedding 2011 and 2012 would have had the same number of work days despite the leap-year.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You are on an annual salary paid 1/12 at a time. Shut yer whinging 🙂

bellerophon
    Free Member

Christmas Eve falls on Monday and who’s going to want to go to work on the Monday?

What a funny thing to say; anyway I am, why wouldn’t I?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is it fair that those on weekly wages get paid for the extra day whereas those on monthly wages don’t get paid..?

No, it doesn’t sound fair at all.

What you gonna do about it ?

sweepy
    Free Member

Christmas Eve falls on Monday and who’s going to want to go to work on the Monday?
    What a funny thing to say; anyway I am, why wouldn’t I?

You might want to spend some time with Tiny Tim 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

If Feb 29th bothers you don’t even think about working nights when the clocks go back!

prahran
    Free Member

It’s been decided that we get the 24th december off as we work Feb 29th. What can I say? 😀

avdave2

16 years ago I left my last job along with many others when I took voluntary redundancy and being a leap year we got to do an extra day right at the end.

maccruiskeen

Technicaly (like most people) I get paid a yearly wage, divided by 12. So the unjustness is spread over the whole year.

Back in the days when I had a wage (wobbly soft focus flashback) my employers – weirdly – split it into 13 payments per year – once every 4 weeks. Because, like anyone, all my regular outgoings were split into twelve each year you’d get a weird leap-month where it felt like you got an extra free bit of salary. For me it always fell in July and paid for a nice holiday and an artwork.

Cougar

You work for a mutually agreed salary. Why would you feel cheated suddenly, when nothing’s changed? It’s what you agreed to when you took the job.

I get the same month’s salary in April as I do in May, irrespective of how many days I’ve worked within that month. Do you -really- want salary adjusted for working days? I sure as hell don’t, or February’s going to be a lean month every year!

You’ve not lost anything, it’s just your perception. Look at it this way. You get paid for a 366-day year. Three out of those four years, you get a free day’s pay!

Cougar

Is it fair that those on weekly wages get paid for the extra day whereas those on monthly wages don’t get paid..?

No, it’s not; those on weekly wages will be paid for a 28/29 day working month, whereas those on monthly will be paid the same as they would for a regular 30/31 day working month. You’re essentially complaining that you only get two extra days’ pay rather than three.

(-:

wrightyson
    Free Member

Is there not an extra public holiday this year anyway because Of the queens jubilee??

Cougar

Yep. I hope everyone’s asked HR to dock them a day’s wages accordingly.

jon1973
    Free Member

Back in the days when I had a wage (wobbly soft focus flashback) my employers – weirdly – split it into 13 payments per year – once every 4 weeks.

I used to have this, but I found it a major pain in the arse in terms of budgeting.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Being staff is sort of liked been owned by the company, you will often work and not get paid for it.

Us contractors had a good chuckle and wound the staff guys up yesterday, who’s obvious and immediate response was “pension, paid holidays yadda yadda yadda”, to which the contractors immediately countered with the killer salvo of “we get paid 50% more and then pay less tax”, which shut them up. However, there will obviously be a chance of promotion for every one of them when the boss leaves in ten years.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Payback for the extra bank holiday, innit 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

You could always resign your position in protest and not have to worry out 1 days pay and instead worry about the other 364 days instead. 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

I suggest you go on strike over it.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m not sure this sort of childish whining is what caused the trade union movement to start up.

Get. A. Grip.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Working an extra day on the 29th February’ is closed to new replies.