• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Work stuff: Prince2
  • scratch
    Free Member

Anyone done this and felt it worthwhile?

There’s a chance I could push for the training later in the year, just wondered if it was worth sticking on the C.V for the future more than anything.

Product design/R+D based.

JonBurns
    Free Member

I’ve met quite a few Project Managers who have done Prince 2..doesn’t make them any better mind but I think it’s one of those ‘looks good on your CV’ things so assume any PM job spec in the future will include ‘must have prince 2″.

Hope that made sense it’s just I have Purple rain going round in my head.

seven
    Free Member

Only do it if you are or want to be a project manager as it’s good for the cv, otherwise it’s not worth it (and really really boring).

scratch
    Free Member

Cheers, thanks for the info, it does sound like it may be worthwhile.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is a CV only event but would depend what you do. It had near zero relevence to the projects I managed (government/ESF funded adult guidance,offenders into work, business assisted etc type stuff ).
    It is a lot to do in one week and like getting shot with fact bullets TBH cant rememebr most of it now and use very little these days which I suspect is true for most peole who have it.

Spongebob
    Free Member

PRINCE2 methodology is of limited use unless you are in a PRINCE2 environment – i.e. if your employer buys in to it. Somewhat like ISO9000, P2 is a set of processes and standards, but unlike ISO9000, P2 standards are not negotiable. I believe it is much better to operate in a P2 environment for a while prior to doing the Practitioner course. Foundation P2 is attainable in 3 days with no prior knowledge. Combined fast track Foundation and Practitioner courses run over 5 days. IMHO, embarking on this course cold is going to be challenging. Your poject experience is what really counts when job hunting, not PRINCE2. The way PRINCE2 is taught is about to change and I am led to believe that an old Foundation certified person would have to attend a whole Foundation/Practitioner course if they wanted to take the Foundation exam after the change. Also worth mentioning is that your Practitioner certificate is only valid for 5 years. After that you have to re-sit the exam. IMHO, there’s a lot more than P2 that maketh a good project manager.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

it’s a good CV filler for UK and some Eurozone jobs. Not really recognised rest of world. Boring course and little use in the real world.

tyke
    Free Member

Not sure Prince2 would be that relevant toyour role unless as others have stated you are on the project management side. I would look at something like a short course at somewhere like Cranfield which has much better industry recognition in R&D especially in high tech engineering.

surfer
    Free Member

I did it a few years ago and it is very much in vogue for employers. Not much used but on the hit list of almost every job description I applied for at the time.

If work are paying then it should be a no brainer IMO. Its not a push over and you do need to concentrate for them few days!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I did it and soon realised it was a waste of time. Ourt place doesn’t follow PRINCE2 and unless eberyone follows it, it just doesn’t work.

I’m not a PM anyway and I now realise that most (but not all) PMs are full of bull

surfer
    Free Member

You may be dead right and my experience is similar to yours (although I do PM technical projects) However its on employers ticklist so IMO get it on your CV as it will boost your chances, rightly or wrongly…..

Nick

We are moving more and more towards it and all our large government contracts now insist that our projects are run within a Prince 2 framework.

It means that everyone refers to the same things in the same way, reduces confusion and communication errors (PID vs Brief vs Mandate etc), also gives you a useful set of checks to make sure that the fundamentals are covered. You need to be careful not to try to follow it too closely especially on smaller projects where the burden can be onerous.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Work stuff: Prince2’ is closed to new replies.