• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Work Shirts
  • Kahurangi

Boring thread ahead, wahoo.

I need some more work shirts. Formal, no tie. Ideally non-iron cotton, either single or double cuff. Slim fit or fully fitted.

I have a couple of TM Lewin ones, which are fine. Looking through for another couple, neither TM Lewin nor Charles Trywhitt Tyrwhitt have anything that’s not the same as my current shirts that doesn’t look a bit… meh.

Who else is worth looking at? I’m not planning to be in Londinium any time soon and I’m not made of money. Recommendations please!

jimdubleyou

Pink?

New CT shirts will be out soon. I doubt they will be significantly different to current crop though…

footflaps

All my work shirts come from M&S, seem to last ages (mainly as I very rarely wear them).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

M&S for me until this week when I got some really nice ones made which fit a lot better

monde
    Free Member

Hawes and Curtis

Found them to be better quality than TM lewin, Pink etc and a better fit.

ourmaninthenorth

TM Lewin for me. Often more choice online.

But I also wear Hawes & Curtis (don’t fit me as well), Timberland and Gant.

I don’t wear a tie and am ever grateful for the day I could give up double cuffs and cuff links.

chewkw
    Free Member

Debenhams’ Hammond & Co. by Patrick Grant Designer looks good. 😀

tinribz
    Free Member

Jaeger have some in a sale mostly classic and modern but they are not that billowing.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Work shirts are a bit meh especially if you have a lot. CT shirts are a good fit once you figure out what size you are.

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

Primark slim fit their check shirts are ace, I’ve got a few Thomas Pink, M&S, Ralph Lauren etc and none if them fit as well as Primark. The plain ones are a bit crap tho. For £6 a go it’s worth a pop

Cheers
    Nick

Northwind

I have had nice shirts; but I wear debenham’s easycare line day to day. Well made, fit me perfectly, all that good stuff and not expensive.

Basil

M&S

scaredypants

M&S, the cheaper variety

It’s work, not American Psycho

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why non-iron. Just sweaty and still need an iron?????

Teetosugars
    Free Member

CT 4 for £100.
    Spotty dog IMHO.
    Not that I need to wear shirts for work anymore.
    Tee shirts and shorts all the way..

Kahurangi

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll check them out.

Takes half the time to iron.

M&S, the cheaper variety. It’s work, not American Psycho

I wear these things 8 hours a day, I want to look good acceptable and be comfortable!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Back in the 80s a (proper) Lewins shirt was around £45 a pop and Pinks a bit more. Now 4 for £80 while pinks are one for £80 ish!!!!

prettygreenparrot

had some TM Lewin shirts. skimpy cut. had tyrwhitt shirts. sleeves too short. M&S always seem pretty good in comparison. Despite the price difference. Some colleagues swear by tailor-made shirts but they’re not for me. These days though I tend to go for a T-shirt, possibly a hoody. If it’s a day I want to be smarter on I wear a merino sweater – now that’s something that tyrwhitt does well.

My favourite Ts in recent times have been:

and

bubs

TM Lewin non-irons and careful washing/drying mean no ironing in 15 years. Not perfect but close enough after the commute in.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Even for a non geek, the last one is funny

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Non-iron, where the fun.

I love the smell of Napalm fresh starch in the morning (and the feel)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Back in the 80s a (proper) Lewins shirt was around £45 a pop and Pinks a bit more. Now 4 for £80 while pinks are one for £80 ish!!!!

And modern Lewins start to go around the collar and cuffs troublingly quickly.

Having moved to Hong Kong, I’ve just replaced 5 years’ accumulations of off-the-peg shirts with made-to-measure ones. It’s a delight.

🙂

andermt
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

I pretty much only wear Thomas Pink Shirts for work with the occasional Paul Smith one.

I only ever buy Pinks shirts at the outlet shop in Bicester so generally cost between £30-50.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You must be more lucky than me with sizing and choice at Bicester!

TML now in the realms of disposable clothing. They are fine for a while but need replacing more regularly. Almost absurd that they are cheaper than my kids school shirts. TML at their age!!!!

FuzzyWuzzy

I get most of my work shirts from TKMaxx these days, always have a selection of decent branded ones at a discount. Other than that I prefer John Lewis own-brand ones to M&S

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

Non-iron travels better ime, less inclined to crease etc. Never really found them sweaty? Maybe I will now!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Most of my work shirts now come from Primark as they are the only shop open on the high street when I’ve cycled into work and forgotten to pack a clean shirt. I’ve bought 3 in the last 6 months.

DrJ

Stenstrom and Eton. Bought them in a sale. Last shirts I will ever buy!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Work Shirts’ is closed to new replies.