Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Work-related stress
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Around 1990 my employers offered a Stress Counciling course. I went on it for two reasons, I'd just come through a huge emotional turmoil in my private life, and secondly I thought it might help in the future as I perceived the job would become more stressful.
    After being somewhat nervous about the course, I found it to be a revelation! One large point being about amount of work expected to do and how to cope. i.e. as it piles up you work longer hours, miss coffee/tea breaks, get in earlier etc but if it increases there's a point where you physically cannot work the hours to actually do the job. Our pride in self then starts to kick in and cuase us problems ( worry about coping/stress due to it etc ) but in actual fact it's the job and amount of work that is the real problem.
    In 2005 I was made redundant after 34 years in the same place and suposedly a 'job for life' though scared witless at leaving I knew I would be more scared at staying as it was no longer a nice place to be.
    When clearing out my desk I found the Stress Courses' folder and leaflets. Glancing down I ticked virtually all the boxes for stress indicators but had no idea it had got that bad!
    ( As an aside I'm now employed doing a much less demanding job – sadly for less money! – but look forward to work and the people are so much more normal and pleasant to be with. )

If you can get onto a Stress councelling course it can be a revelation.
    Talking to the boss, or actually recognising there's a problem and talking to – anyone – is at least recognition and good. A positive step forward.
    Take care
    Q

Christowkid
    Free Member

thanks brooess – good article, good reminder!
    Q

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Work-related stress’ is closed to new replies.