Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 279 total)
  • Work related expenses (wtf content)
  • iolo
    Free Member

So there was a chance that, for this contract, you would have no expenses paid for?
    No hotel or food at all?
    But yet you signed the contract.
    Maybe next time ask a few more questions.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t know how much money I spend on food at home, if that answers your question?

Well you certainly sounded like you knew earlier.

As it happens, you’ve no idea.

Bit of a turnaround.

Totally pointless thread really now isn’t it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m out

Thank f*** for that 🙂

So there was a chance that, for this contract, you would have no expenses paid for?

No. I knew a lot of people who worked there quite well; I had worked for them before on a contract; and I was told verbally that expenses were reimbursable generally speaking.

But this isn’t what the thread’s about. I think the wording might be wrong. That’s why I asked for useful thoughts and opinions, which some people gave. And for some reason you came on and started an argument. Not sure why tbh.

Totally pointless thread really now isn’t it.

Yes, it’s turned into another ‘isn’t molgrips stupid’ thread. That keeps happening doesn’t it?

nealglover
    Free Member

Yes, it’s turned into another ‘isn’t molgrips stupid’ thread. That keeps happening doesn’t it?

It does seem to be a common theme yes.

Maybe you should look for a common element in all those threads to see if you can figure out what’s causing the phenomenon ?

mattbee

Odd, that…

msjhes2
    Free Member

Molgrips I don’t get lunch paid either regardless of whether there is a canteen or not. They reimburse everything else, early start breakfasts / late night dinner etc as well as when away properly.

This is for an extremely large bank so I don’t think it is an uncommon scenario.

br
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered to read all 5 pages, but for once I agree with Molgrips.

As someone who spent most of their life travelling, this has pi55ed me off for the best part of +20 years. In fact expenses as a whole pi55 me off, especially as there are usually differing rules depending on how high up the corporate ladder you are.

Mind you, now I’m working in the Public Sector and can claim 67 pence per mile for business miles. Never worked anywhere before that paid more than HMRC’s ‘guidelines’, and worked at many that paid less.

molgrips
    Free Member

67p? Jammy git, I get 15p! 🙂

Maybe you should look for a common element in all those threads to see if you can figure out what’s causing the phenomenon ?

It’s people. They are the problem. They are all weird.

nealglover
    Free Member

In fact expenses as a whole pi55 me off

Stop claiming them then 🙄

That’ll teach ’em.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s people. They are the problem. They are all weird.

Try being a bit more specific.

The answer is there if you look for it.

molgrips
    Free Member

So what, you’re saying I’m weird?

nealglover
    Free Member

Well.

I’m just spotting the common elements in those threads.

And this complete non problem, and the following badly thought out arguments are fairly strange.

molgrips
    Free Member

It isn’t a problem, you’re right. I didn’t post a problem thread.

I am weird though, I suggest you get used to it 🙂

compositepro
    Free Member

think like an MP and if HMRC question your expenses use an MPs expense claim morality …you can easily afford caviar on your chips instead of vinegar

neilco
    Free Member

anyway, while this is all fascinating, i’ve got two dogs to walk in the sun, before heading for the airport for a few days work in scandanavia, where i will ‘luxuriate’ in the 30GBP/day sustenance allowance i negotiated in to the contract. breaky is provided by the hotel, and there’s a site canteen, which is free to me…

30 quid? Trust me, you’ll be out of pocket 🙂

winston_dog
    Free Member

anyway, while this is all fascinating, i’ve got two dogs to walk in the sun, before heading for the airport for a few days work in scandanavia, where i will ‘luxuriate’ in the 30GBP/day sustenance allowance i negotiated in to the contract. breaky is provided by the hotel, and there’s a site canteen, which is free to me…
    30 quid? Trust me, you’ll be out of pocket

out of pocket? **** bankrupt more like! it is incredibly expensive up there!

ebygomm
    Free Member

On-site catering facilities = a canteen

or

On-site catering facilities = a kitchen that you can use with fridge and microwave

If the latter then the policy makes more sense.

binners

Can I raise a practical question at this point?

If you could have your lunch written into a legally binding contract, but it has to be the same thing every day, what would you have?

I’d have a chicken tikka kebab, on naan, with everything on, delivered to my desk every lunchtime. It’s got to be from Hunters Barbecue though. Or equivalent standard

You…..?

nealglover
    Free Member

Roast beef and Mustard baguette from Krusties on Newgate Market in York.
    Bag of salt and vinegar McCoys
    A Twix and a can of Mango Rubicon.

compositepro
    Free Member

Can I raise a practical question at this point?

If you could have your lunch written into a legally binding contract, but it has to be the same thing every day, what would you have?

I’d have a chicken tikka kebab, on naan, with everything on, delivered to my desk every lunchtime. It’s got to be from Hunters Barbecue though. Or equivalent standard

does this come with free onsite paramedics for the impending congestive heart failure

Frankers
    Free Member

My company offers the following for outside staff

5-10 Hours = £5
    Over 10 Hours = £10
    Also if you have to buy an evening meal extra £15
    If out very early you can also claim £5 for breakfast

These amounts have all be agreed with the taxman and are typical for permanent outside staff

br
    Free Member

If you could have your lunch written into a legally binding contract, but it has to be the same thing every day, what would you have?[/]

Nandos

nealglover
    Free Member

Nandos is certainly the same whatever you order, so a good choice really.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am going to remember this for next time I change jobs. 😀

It’s going to be quite a complex contract…

bearnecessities

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!

119 posts since it was first said, and no-one has pointed out….

It’s fickin’ SUBSISTENCE allowance, not sustenance!

BadlyWiredDog

It’s fickin’ SUBSISTENCE allowance, not sustenance!

So you’re saying the Molgrips should be growing his own lunch? I’m not sure about that, sure, if you have an allotment or a large garden that might be feasible, but in this case?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Travelling for work is a hassle and all meals should be covered IMO. Minor payment for the hassle of being away.

Kryton57

How the hell did mol grips first world problem of making his own lunch or refusing to come down from the dizzy heights of pret a manger get to 6 pages?

molgrips
    Free Member

In Nandos now, actually. I love the fact that whilst you can easily blow through the expense limit in a hotel restaurant, you can go nuts in a normal takeaway and still come in well under.

My contractual lunch would be a burrito from Tortilla with the chicken, no rice, extra beans, cheese, hot salsa, jalapenos and lime. Fab

clubber
    Free Member

How the hell did mol grips first world problem of
    making his own lunch or refusing to come down
    from the dizzy heights of pret a manger get to 6
    pages?

Are you sure you’re not new here? 🙂

Kryton57

Well yes I am, but this takes the biscuit of stw-ism. Still, he’s happy now with his Nandos and bottomless soft drink. I hope he’s eaten enough so he won’t need lunch tomorrow…..

brakes
    Free Member

I would have it written into my contract that molgrips had to pay for his own food, and that food would be sandwiches. real sandwiches. made of sand. and witches.

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve been paying to eat for years… Obviously in the wrong job!

Reminds me of a woman in work trying to claim an extra 100 miles expenses because she had to drop off her dog at her sisters house on the way to a training course…

The first world problems of people with a ridiculous sense of entitlement is always worth a laugh

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not a **** sense of entitlement!

It’s the weird and unexplained discrepancy.

The real problem on these threads isn’t me, it’s you thick bastards completely misunderstanding.

binners

At the risk of sounding repetitive … Have you considered Gregg’s Molls? You can get a five pack of sausage rolls that may leave you in a position where you can probably still pay the mortgage.failing that…. Have you thought of getting Bob Crowe to negotiate this deal for you. Tube drivers only work 45 minutes a day you know? Then go for lunch at Claridges

molgrips
    Free Member

Bob Crowe sounds good. Or I could just fraudulently claim because no-one checks.

br
    Free Member

Having racked up over 150 nights in hotels just in one year on more than one occasion the cost of been away isn’t a joke. And if you’ve also lots of travel too, it can get very expensive – especially if you’ve a restrictive expense policy.

And if you’ve a family you don’t really save anything by not been at home and if you don’t want to spend the entire night sat in your room, it’s going to cost.

I always use to reckon that companies/HMRC needed two different expense policies, one for folk that might have had a couple of nights a year and one for folk who spent their life on the road.

nealglover
    Free Member

The real problem on these threads isn’t me, it’s you thick bastards completely misunderstanding.

I must have misunderstood when you suggested you were going to be out of pocket when it later turned out that you hadn’t the faintest idea wether you were or not.

Probably my fault for reading what you posted and presuming you had thought it through though 😉

brakes
    Free Member

It’s the weird and unexplained discrepancy

you pay for your own lunch at work during working hours when you’re not traveling, why should they pay for your lunch during your working hours when you are traveling?
    that’s what my employers says, and it makes sense to me.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Our ‘team’ (of two) has to source our own training as our role is a little random – and we got a bit of a frosty response when the training we found took most of our office’s budget . . . . Felt a little bad but am now keeping my head down as the train tickets to get there have come in at £550!!!

I will be getting two nights in Brighton though, so im sure I’ll cope 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 279 total)

The topic ‘Work related expenses (wtf content)’ is closed to new replies.