Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Work question – opnions please….
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I have recently started looking at job adverts even though I have a full time permanant job which I enjoy the majority of the time, which I guess is the best you can hope from a job as there are aspects of every job which people don’t like.

Last September the company made a large number of redundancies but i’ve managed to keep my job. Btw my job is as a Structural Technician for an engineering consultancy. We are currently looking better from a financial point of view with the company billing more in the past couple of months than they have for a long time.

When redundancies were being made last year I was looking at job websites and other consultancy sites too for job oportunities to see what was out there just in case I was one of the next ones to be axed. I did apply for 2 jobs which looked like the next logical step for my career but didn’t get a sniff on either. I wasn’t going to jump ship for any job, but I though i’d apply for some career progression jobs as I would if times were better.

Taking into account the fact that the company I currently work for is doing better than it has for a while, would you say that me looking at job adverts again without making a conscious decision to do so would suggest that i’m getting itchy feet and it’s possibly time for me to move on to somewhere new? Or is it just me being curious about whats out there?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hang on, OK, concentrate, hmmmmmm, OK, well, er…..perhaps….if you……wait, what about……

No.

Sorry mate. My telepathic powers aren’t working today 🙄

But seriously, you really need to think about what you’re asking and what advice you want. Your question is basically ‘what is it that I want?’ of which the only person with an answer is you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

should be looking to further career any time

when not forced to find employment (where youll take any job going near enough ) you cant afford to be choosier

if you want to progress look

if your just looking – we all do that from time to time 😀

ash.addy
    Free Member

I think if you have to ask the question whether you should stay or go somewhere else for a new challenge you just need confirmation of what you already know. there are advantages of staying where you are but you must ensure you have a work life balance. I didn’t and spent 8 months off work with burn out and suffering from depression. I’m still taking the pills 1 1/2 years later.

Priorities.

Enough money to live on
    Family commitments sorted
    Most of all time for you to enjoy yourself.

Think about what you want from life always to be chasing that next promotion or be happy with your lot and enjoy life.

Hope this wasn’t too heavy.

Good Luck

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve always believed one should have the occasional interview anyway, to see if the grass is greener, to refresh interview skills and to keep up with those fashionable questions. For if THE job should come up, one wouldn’t want to miss out from lack of practice.

swoosh
    Free Member

thanks guys, all helpful.

it’s good to know that i’m not the only one who looks occasionally to see whats out there. I guess keeping an eye open means that there is less chance of the ideal job going unnoticed.

muff
    Free Member

I have to agree with the first post.. only you know what you need to do to get the most from your job and your life.

however it’s never a bad thing to keep half an eye on possible prospects. I have been keeping an eye on further opportunities for the last 12 months and i’ve just got my perfect job.

no harm in looking, or applying, or attending interviews.. if the you get an offer make a decision at the time.

good luck.

swoosh
    Free Member

why do you keep listing jobs in the bike trade Macavity?

Kryton57

Interesting.

I’m in the doldrums with my job ( a mixture of reduced workload due to the current financial issues and limited promotional prospects), although I’m well paid with generous other benefits and have 18 years of service to back up redundancy with a contractual 3 months payoff on top of the redundancy to leave quietly, and at the moment in a key position for the company.

The “doldrums” however allow more family time and this year I’ve gone from 1 to 3 rides per week.

When I’m bored at work I get real annoyed/depressed about it, because I’m the type that likes to be busy and works best under pressure. However, as you can see from the above (and as my Mrs would say) coping with the corporate tedium is a small price to pay for the other aspects it brings to our lives.

3 years ago before Kryton Jnr was born I would have struggled to get time off to go to Sealife/Thomas World etc, but now, If I needed next wednesday off its an easy call.

A lot of me says I should abandon my current comfort zone for a career challenge, but a lot of me enjoys the family / bike time.

As already mentioned, its about what YOU want, and on your priorities in life.

C’est la vie…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Work question – opnions please….’ is closed to new replies.